Søren Hauberg | 1 Feb 16:28 2009

bzip2 missing

Hi

The manual makes a reference to 'bzip2', and the 'bunzip2' also has
'bzip2' as part of its  <at> seealso. However, it seems like I do not have
this function. Why is this?

Søren

_______________________________________________
Bug-octave mailing list
Bug-octave <at> octave.org
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
Søren Hauberg | 1 Feb 16:32 2009

eomdate?

Hi

'doc/interpreter/system.txi' contains a reference to 'eomdate', but this
function is not available in my installation. Since it seems to be part
of the 'time' package I assume that it has been moved to Octave-Forge.

The attached changeset removes this reference.

Søren

# HG changeset patch
# User Soren Hauberg <hauberg <at> gmail.com>
# Date 1233502229 -3600
# Node ID 09a1685c249a868cc0f6b53e0c913be2c4a33eef
# Parent  ff61b53eb294138add7d31365ac1444324e4dc04
doc/interpreter/system.txi: remove reference to 'eomdate'

diff -r ff61b53eb294 -r 09a1685c249a doc/ChangeLog
--- a/doc/ChangeLog	Fri Jan 30 15:42:51 2009 -0500
+++ b/doc/ChangeLog	Sun Feb 01 16:30:29 2009 +0100
 <at>  <at>  -1,3 +1,7  <at>  <at> 
+2009-02-01  Soren Hauberg <hauberg <at> gmail.com>
+
+	* interpreter/system.txi: Remove reference to 'eomdate'.
+
 2009-01-24  Thorsten Meyer  <thorsten <at> hexe>

 	* interpreter/container.txi (Data Structures): Update examples for
(Continue reading)

Søren Hauberg | 1 Feb 17:12 2009

poor line numbering in error messages when using unwind_protect

Hi

Consider the following function (also attached)

  function badlinenumber ()
    unwind_protect
      error ("this raises and error at line 3");
    unwind_protect_cleanup
    end_unwind_protect
  endfunction

When I run it I get the following error message

  error: this raises and error at line 3
  error: called from:
  error:   /home/sh/Skrivebord/badlinenumber.m at line 2, column 3

I would expect the last line to say "line 3, ..." instead of "line
2, ...".

I see something similar with try-catch statements. Consider (also
attached)

  function badlinenumber2 ()
    try
      error ("this raises and error at line 3");
    catch
      disp (lasterror ()(1).stack.line);
    end_try_catch
  endfunction
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Meyer | 1 Feb 20:36 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: bzip2 missing

Søren Hauberg wrote:
> The manual makes a reference to 'bzip2', and the 'bunzip2' also has
> 'bzip2' as part of its  <at> seealso. However, it seems like I do not have
> this function. Why is this?
> 
In the development sources bzip2 is available.

regards

Thorsten
_______________________________________________
Bug-octave mailing list
Bug-octave <at> octave.org
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
Søren Hauberg | 1 Feb 20:47 2009

Re: bzip2 missing

søn, 01 02 2009 kl. 20:36 +0100, skrev Thorsten Meyer:
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
> > The manual makes a reference to 'bzip2', and the 'bunzip2' also has
> > 'bzip2' as part of its  <at> seealso. However, it seems like I do not have
> > this function. Why is this?
> > 
> In the development sources bzip2 is available.

Ahh, I see the issue. 'bzip2' is not listed in the relevant Makefile.in
so it is not installed, which is why I was missing it.

Changeset attached.

Søren
# HG changeset patch
# User Soren Hauberg <hauberg <at> gmail.com>
# Date 1233517591 -3600
# Node ID 849f710e71316f1b0a3533ed46cc63932b061d1c
# Parent  73af4c3dda6475f65db9fbbeff8800b4a99c0f14
scripts/miscellaneous/Makefile.in: add bzip2

diff -r 73af4c3dda64 -r 849f710e7131 scripts/ChangeLog
--- a/scripts/ChangeLog	Sun Feb 01 16:40:53 2009 +0100
+++ b/scripts/ChangeLog	Sun Feb 01 20:46:31 2009 +0100
 <at>  <at>  -1,3 +1,7  <at>  <at> 
+2009-02-01  Soren Hauberg <hauberg <at> gmail.com>
+
+	* miscellaneous/Makefile.in: add bzip2.
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Meyer | 1 Feb 21:13 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: bzip2 missing

Søren Hauberg wrote:
søn, 01 02 2009 kl. 20:36 +0100, skrev Thorsten Meyer:
Søren Hauberg wrote:
The manual makes a reference to 'bzip2', and the 'bunzip2' also has 'bzip2' as part of its <at> seealso. However, it seems like I do not have this function. Why is this?
In the development sources bzip2 is available.
Ahh, I see the issue. 'bzip2' is not listed in the relevant Makefile.in so it is not installed, which is why I was missing it.
Thanks for catching that bug: it is the first that has been found in my contributions to octave. :-)

However, shouldn't it read "bzip.m" instead of just "bzip" in Makefile.in?

regards

Thorsten


_______________________________________________
Bug-octave mailing list
Bug-octave <at> octave.org
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
Søren Hauberg | 1 Feb 21:16 2009

Re: bzip2 missing

søn, 01 02 2009 kl. 21:13 +0100, skrev Thorsten Meyer:
> Thanks for catching that bug: it is the first that has been found in
> my contributions to octave. :-)

About time I guess :-)

> However, shouldn't it read "bzip.m" instead of just "bzip" in
> Makefile.in?

Yes! That's the problem with sending patches for trivial bugs -- it's
really easy to 'forget' to test them proper :-(

Søren

_______________________________________________
Bug-octave mailing list
Bug-octave <at> octave.org
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
Petr Mikulik | 2 Feb 08:54 2009
Picon

cannot compile with hdf5

I have tried to compile octave 3.0.4 rc3 tarball, configured with HDF5. 
Octave fails to compile, see below. The same happens also for 3.0.3.
There are the following libraries under OpenSUSE 11.1:
	libhdf5_hl0-1.8.2-1.1
	hdf5-devel-1.8.2-1.1
	libhdf5-0-1.8.2-1.1
	hdf5-1.8.2-1.1

make[2]: Entering directory .../octave-3.0.4/src
making defaults.h from defaults.h.in
defaults.h is unchanged
making oct-conf.h from oct-conf.h.in
oct-conf.h is unchanged
g++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -g -O2 
ls-hdf5.cc -o pic/ls-hdf5.o
ls-hdf5.cc: In function ‘bool hdf5_check_attr(hid_t, const char*)’:
ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: invalid conversion from ‘herr_t (**)(hid_t, void*)’ 
to ‘hid_t’
ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: invalid conversion from ‘void**’ to ‘herr_t 
(**)(hid_t, void*)’
/usr/include/H5Epublic.h:173: error: too few arguments to function ‘herr_t 
H5Eget_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (**)(hid_t, void*), void**)’
ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Epublic.h:174: error: too few arguments to function ‘herr_t 
H5Eset_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*), void*)’
ls-hdf5.cc:147: error: at this point in file
ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: invalid conversion from ‘herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*)’ to 
‘hid_t’
ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘herr_t (*)(hid_t, 
void*)’
/usr/include/H5Epublic.h:174: error: too few arguments to function ‘herr_t 
H5Eset_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*), void*)’
ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function ‘herr_t hdf5_read_next_data(hid_t, 
const char*, void*)’:
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:78: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Gopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:225: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:235: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:307: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function ‘std::string 
read_hdf5_data(std::istream&, const std::string&, bool&, octave_value&, 
std::string&)’:
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:78: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Gopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:550: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Apublic.h: In function ‘herr_t hdf5_add_attr(hid_t, const 
char*)’:
/usr/include/H5Apublic.h:45: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Acreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:597: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h: In function ‘int save_hdf5_empty(hid_t, const 
char*, dim_vector)’:
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:95: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Dcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:644: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h: In function ‘int load_hdf5_empty(hid_t, const 
char*, dim_vector&)’:
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:674: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function ‘bool add_hdf5_data(hid_t, const 
octave_value&, const std::string&, const std::string&, bool, bool)’:
/usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:76: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Gcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:752: error: at this point in file
/usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:95: error: too few arguments to function ‘hid_t 
H5Dcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)’
ls-hdf5.cc:766: error: at this point in file
make[2]: *** [pic/ls-hdf5.o] Error 1

---
PM
_______________________________________________
Bug-octave mailing list
Bug-octave <at> octave.org
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
Jaroslav Hajek | 2 Feb 12:09 2009
Picon

Re: cannot compile with hdf5

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Petr Mikulik <mikulik <at> physics.muni.cz> wrote:
> I have tried to compile octave 3.0.4 rc3 tarball, configured with HDF5.
> Octave fails to compile, see below. The same happens also for 3.0.3.
> There are the following libraries under OpenSUSE 11.1:
>        libhdf5_hl0-1.8.2-1.1
>        hdf5-devel-1.8.2-1.1
>        libhdf5-0-1.8.2-1.1
>        hdf5-1.8.2-1.1
>
>
> make[2]: Entering directory .../octave-3.0.4/src
> making defaults.h from defaults.h.in
> defaults.h is unchanged
> making oct-conf.h from oct-conf.h.in
> oct-conf.h is unchanged
> g++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -g -O2
> ls-hdf5.cc -o pic/ls-hdf5.o
> ls-hdf5.cc: In function 'bool hdf5_check_attr(hid_t, const char*)':
> ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: invalid conversion from 'herr_t (**)(hid_t, void*)'
> to 'hid_t'
> ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: invalid conversion from 'void**' to 'herr_t
> (**)(hid_t, void*)'
> /usr/include/H5Epublic.h:173: error: too few arguments to function 'herr_t
> H5Eget_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (**)(hid_t, void*), void**)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Epublic.h:174: error: too few arguments to function 'herr_t
> H5Eset_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*), void*)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:147: error: at this point in file
> ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: invalid conversion from 'herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*)' to
> 'hid_t'
> ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: invalid conversion from 'void*' to 'herr_t (*)(hid_t,
> void*)'
> /usr/include/H5Epublic.h:174: error: too few arguments to function 'herr_t
> H5Eset_auto2(hid_t, herr_t (*)(hid_t, void*), void*)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:159: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function 'herr_t hdf5_read_next_data(hid_t,
> const char*, void*)':
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:78: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Gopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:225: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:235: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:307: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function 'std::string
> read_hdf5_data(std::istream&, const std::string&, bool&, octave_value&,
> std::string&)':
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:78: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Gopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:550: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Apublic.h: In function 'herr_t hdf5_add_attr(hid_t, const
> char*)':
> /usr/include/H5Apublic.h:45: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Acreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:597: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h: In function 'int save_hdf5_empty(hid_t, const
> char*, dim_vector)':
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:95: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Dcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:644: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h: In function 'int load_hdf5_empty(hid_t, const
> char*, dim_vector&)':
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:98: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Dopen2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:674: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h: In function 'bool add_hdf5_data(hid_t, const
> octave_value&, const std::string&, const std::string&, bool, bool)':
> /usr/include/H5Gpublic.h:76: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Gcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:752: error: at this point in file
> /usr/include/H5Dpublic.h:95: error: too few arguments to function 'hid_t
> H5Dcreate2(hid_t, const char*, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t, hid_t)'
> ls-hdf5.cc:766: error: at this point in file
> make[2]: *** [pic/ls-hdf5.o] Error 1
>
> ---
> PM
> _______________________________________________
> Bug-octave mailing list
> Bug-octave <at> octave.org
> https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/bug-octave
>
>

This is a known problem, caused by the incompatible API changes
between HDF5 1.5 and 1.8. I think there's no need to support both the
APIs, but someone needs to modify the relevant code to adapt to the
1.8 API. So far, there has been no volunteer. Apparently hdf5 is not
much used amongst Octave developers/users.

--

-- 
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert
Aeronautical Research and Test Institute (VZLU)
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz
Petr Mikulik | 2 Feb 14:41 2009
Picon

Re: cannot compile with hdf5

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Petr Mikulik <mikulik <at> physics.muni.cz> wrote:
> > I have tried to compile octave 3.0.4 rc3 tarball, configured with HDF5.
> > Octave fails to compile, see below. The same happens also for 3.0.3.
> > There are the following libraries under OpenSUSE 11.1:
> >        libhdf5_hl0-1.8.2-1.1
> >        hdf5-devel-1.8.2-1.1
> >        libhdf5-0-1.8.2-1.1
> >        hdf5-1.8.2-1.1
> >
> This is a known problem, caused by the incompatible API changes
> between HDF5 1.5 and 1.8. I think there's no need to support both the
> APIs, but someone needs to modify the relevant code to adapt to the
> 1.8 API. So far, there has been no volunteer. Apparently hdf5 is not
> much used amongst Octave developers/users.

Could the ./configure test the API and disable building against HDF5 <1.8?

I don't use HDF5 but Octave autodetects it during ./configure and then fails 
during make which is annoying.

BTW, recently I have sent a small testing program QhullCrashTest.c to 
detect crashing Qhull library. Is there an autoconf guru who would add it to 
the configure script?

---
Petr Mikulik

Gmane