Artifex Maximus | 1 May 12:23 2010
Picon

Re: Searching for an environment for x86 and x86_64 compiling

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM, NightStrike <nightstrike-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Artifex Maximus <artifexor-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello!
> I am searching an already built mingw environment for x86 and x86_64
> compiling. Similar to mingw+msys but for x86 and x86_64 within same
> environment. Is there any kind of that?
> I have downloaded cherokee web server building environment but that one is
> for x86 only and pretty old. I am upgraded and polished that environment for
> x86 (TDM binaries, upgrade some packages) and later converted for x86_64
> (same base but x86_64 compilers) but I would like to integrate into one
> environment which default compile to x86 and with some parameters I am able
> to compile for x86_64 in the same environment. I have no real experience in
> this field so I am looking for an already done package. Or if there is any
> nice tutorial on this topic it would be great to know. Thanks!
> I have tried compiling gcc myself but I always had errors about gmp even if
> I use the same parameters for configuration as in the mingw binaries (gcc
> -v).

What you are looking for is known as "multilib", ie a toolchain that
targets multiple platforms at the same time.  You choose your specific
target using a compiler switch.  For instance, you might want to do
gcc -m32 for a 32-bit platform, and gcc -m64 for 64.

Multilib doesn't work too well for windows targets, unfortunately.
Give it time.  In the meantime, you can just use relocatable
toolchains, put them in separate paths, put them both in your PATH,
and use the full triplet to run them.

Thank you very much I will look after that. As I recall there was a multilib option when I have tried compile gcc. But it seems that as I use now, in separate paths, is the recommended way at the moment.

Bye,
a
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
someone somebody | 1 May 17:37 2010
Picon

Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

Why does installing MinGW and MSYS now has to be such a pain.
Downloading many packages from source forge and unclear instructions on installing MSYS make this a nightmare.
 
I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also an automated installation for MSYS will be available, but I guess no one bothers to develop it...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
LRN | 1 May 17:46 2010
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

On 01.05.2010 19:37, someone somebody wrote:
> Why does installing MinGW and MSYS now has to be such a pain.
> Downloading many packages from source forge and unclear instructions on
> installing MSYS make this a nightmare.
>
> I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also an automated
> installation for MSYS will be available, but I guess no one bothers to
> develop it...
>   
mingw-get is on its way. In a couple of years you'll be able to install
MinGW and MSys much easier.
Meanwhile, you can use setup-mingw.bat (
http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/setup-mingw-bat-a-simple-batch-MinGW-installer-td3691215.html
) or setup-mingw.py (
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/SettingUpMinGWMSysEnvironment ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

someone somebody | 1 May 18:03 2010
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

"In a couple of years" are you serious or sarcastic :P
The scripts you mentioned look nice (I didn't have time to try them)
If they work well maybe they should be linked from the MinGW website? (At least until a full GUI installer is available)

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM, LRN <lrn1986-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
On 01.05.2010 19:37, someone somebody wrote:
> Why does installing MinGW and MSYS now has to be such a pain.
> Downloading many packages from source forge and unclear instructions on
> installing MSYS make this a nightmare.
>
> I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also an automated
> installation for MSYS will be available, but I guess no one bothers to
> develop it...
>
mingw-get is on its way. In a couple of years you'll be able to install
MinGW and MSys much easier.
Meanwhile, you can use setup-mingw.bat (
http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/setup-mingw-bat-a-simple-batch-MinGW-installer-td3691215.html
) or setup-mingw.py (
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/SettingUpMinGWMSysEnvironment ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net

This list observes the Etiquette found at
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
Tatsh | 1 May 18:19 2010
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

Who is interested in creating a package manager? Preferably one that will work 
in Windows and on a cross development environment like on Linux.

Command line and GUI.

someone somebody wrote:
> "In a couple of years" are you serious or sarcastic :P
> The scripts you mentioned look nice (I didn't have time to try them)
> If they work well maybe they should be linked from the MinGW website? (At
> least until a full GUI installer is available)
> 
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM, LRN <lrn1986@...> wrote:
> >  On 01.05.2010 19:37, someone somebody wrote:
> > > Why does installing MinGW and MSYS now has to be such a pain.
> > > Downloading many packages from source forge and unclear instructions on
> > > installing MSYS make this a nightmare.
> > >
> > > I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also an
> >
> > automated
> >
> > > installation for MSYS will be available, but I guess no one bothers to
> > > develop it...
> >
> > mingw-get is on its way. In a couple of years you'll be able to install
> > MinGW and MSys much easier.
> > Meanwhile, you can use setup-mingw.bat (
> >
> > http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/setup-mingw-bat-a-simple-batch-M
> >inGW-installer-td3691215.html ) or setup-mingw.py (
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/SettingUpMinGWMSysEnvironment ).
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >----- _______________________________________________
> > MinGW-users mailing list
> > MinGW-users@...
> >
> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> > etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
> 
--

-- 
Tatsh
www.tatsh.net
ddrtist@...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

Greg Chicares | 1 May 18:41 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

On 2010-05-01 15:46Z, LRN wrote:
[...]
> mingw-get is on its way.

BTW, it's in alpha:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.1-mingw32-alpha-1-RELEASE-NOTES.txt/download

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

LRN | 1 May 19:04 2010
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

On 01.05.2010 20:19, Tatsh wrote:
> Who is interested in creating a package manager? Preferably one that will work 
> in Windows and on a cross development environment like on Linux.
>
> Command line and GUI.
>   
Why bother, when you can just port dpkg and apt?
> someone somebody wrote:
>   
>> "In a couple of years" are you serious or sarcastic :P
>> The scripts you mentioned look nice (I didn't have time to try them)
>> If they work well maybe they should be linked from the MinGW website? (At
>> least until a full GUI installer is available)
>>
>> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM, LRN <lrn1986@...> wrote:
>>     
>>>  On 01.05.2010 19:37, someone somebody wrote:
>>>       
>>>> Why does installing MinGW and MSYS now has to be such a pain.
>>>> Downloading many packages from source forge and unclear instructions on
>>>> installing MSYS make this a nightmare.
>>>>
>>>> I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also an
>>>>         
>>> automated
>>>
>>>       
>>>> installation for MSYS will be available, but I guess no one bothers to
>>>> develop it...
>>>>         
>>> mingw-get is on its way. In a couple of years you'll be able to install
>>> MinGW and MSys much easier.
>>> Meanwhile, you can use setup-mingw.bat (
>>>
>>> http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/setup-mingw-bat-a-simple-batch-M
>>> inGW-installer-td3691215.html ) or setup-mingw.py (
>>> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/SettingUpMinGWMSysEnvironment ).
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ----- _______________________________________________
>>> MinGW-users mailing list
>>> MinGW-users@...
>>>
>>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users
>>>       
>>     

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

Keith Marshall | 1 May 21:22 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

On Saturday 01 May 2010 18:04:55 LRN wrote:
> > Who is interested in creating a package manager? Preferably one
> > that will work in Windows and on a cross development environment
> > like on Linux.
> >
> > Command line and GUI.
>
> Why bother, when you can just port dpkg and apt?

When that was suggested before, Charles Wilson retorted along the 
lines of: "that would be like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, 
and before you even begin, you have to build a steel foundry to 
forge the sledge hammer".  I thought that was rather "apt".

FWIW, mingw-get is NOT a port of apt-get.  It may bear a superficial 
resemblance, but it is fundamentally just a package downloader and 
installer, with a built in dependency resolving capability.  The 
package format is the venerable tar archive, and the dependencies 
are defined in XML package description files.

--

-- 
Regards,
Keith.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

Keith Marshall | 1 May 21:36 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Installing MinGW and MSYS is such a pain

On Saturday 01 May 2010 16:46:44 LRN wrote:
> > I really wish the automated installer will be updated and also
> > an automated installation for MSYS will be available, but I
> > guess no one bothers to develop it...

You guess wrong!  The old NSIS based installer will NOT be developed 
further; it is dead, and will be replaced by...

> mingw-get is on its way. In a couple of years you'll be able to
> install MinGW and MSys much easier.

It is much closer than that.  As Greg has already pointed out, it is 
available in alpha, TODAY.  Sure, it needs someone to write the XML 
package descriptions to drive it -- Cesar is working on that, for 
GCC-4.5, and Chuck is doing likewise for MSYS.  As they do this, 
they are identifying issues, which I am working to resolve.  Between 
us, I think we can deliver a much better tool for installing both 
up-to-date MinGW (mingw32) and MSYS in a matter of weeks, rather 
than years.

--

-- 
Regards,
Keith.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

David Latief Budiman | 2 May 03:48 2010
Picon

(no subject)

Sorry, in advance, if I offended u in any way in this mail.
But, I have several q :
1. I have downloaded all your files and extract it n do everything else u told to do in the 'HOWTO Install..', but I can't seem to start making a executable file, here. How do u make 1?
2. Back in high school, I used MinGW Developer Studio. Is it the same program as you provide in the web?
3. If it is the same, how come I don't have the .exe to open the program from all the files that I downloaded?
4. If it is different, can I have a link to get he developer studio?

Thx, for all the answers u're going to give me, in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MinGW-users mailing list
MinGW-users@...

This list observes the Etiquette found at 
http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

_______________________________________________
You may change your MinGW Account Options or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-users

Gmane