Sandy Armstrong | 1 Jun 19:37 2009
Picon

Re: Fwd: email plugin *very pre alpha*

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stephen Shaw <sshaw@...> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Michael Fletcher
> <m.fletcher@...> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I tried it and it worked as advertised!
>>
>> I'd suggest putting the email options (to, subject) into a sending dialog.
>>
>
> I thought about that, but my gtk-sharp skills aren't very sharp :)
> That's what I'd like to do ultimately.

Excited to see this start to materialize, I can't wait to use it!
Here are some bugs I noticed:

* Crashes if you try to send email without having filled in prefs
* Subject should default to note title, or possibly "[Note] My Note Title"
* Tried setting up with gmail's SMTP, and it just hung
* Need more preferences, probably, for things like "use
authentication" and "tls encryption" or whatever

I haven't gotten it to work yet, but only had like 10 spare minutes
this morning.  Will play with it more later. :-)

Sandy
Cornelius Hald | 4 Jun 10:55 2009
Picon

Snowy test account

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a test account for Snowy? 
I´m trying to implement support for the REST API into Conboy and I would 
like to test it against the real API. I know I could set up my own Snowy 
installation, but I don´t really have time for that, so a test account 
would really help me a lot!

Thanks!
Conny

_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com

Sandy Armstrong | 4 Jun 15:43 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to get a test account for Snowy? I´m
> trying to implement support for the REST API into Conboy and I would like to
> test it against the real API. I know I could set up my own Snowy
> installation, but I don´t really have time for that, so a test account would
> really help me a lot!

We do not have a demo instance set up anywhere yet.  As soon as we do,
you can definitely have an account!  If you read the INSTALL in Snowy,
it's actually not very time-consuming to set your own up.  It takes
about 2 minutes (including fetching Django from SVN).

Lastly, the API is still an evolving spec, so don't be surprised if a
few things change.  For example, we added some new stuff to the wiki
just the other day, but have not yet implemented it in Tomboy or Snowy
(wait for the weekend).  Additionally, we are about 95% sure that we
will be switching to OAuth instead of basic HTTP authentication.  This
change will have an impact on the GUI you develop for setting up Snowy
sync in Conboy.

Once we have switched to OAuth and done some unit testing of security
stuff, we'll set up a demo server.  I'm hoping this will happen in the
next week or so, but it's hard to guess since we do this in our spare
time.

Looking forward to all this interoperability!
Sandy
_______________________________________________
(Continue reading)

Cornelius Hald | 4 Jun 16:18 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> We do not have a demo instance set up anywhere yet.  As soon as we do,
> you can definitely have an account!  If you read the INSTALL in Snowy,
> it's actually not very time-consuming to set your own up.  It takes
> about 2 minutes (including fetching Django from SVN).
>   
That sounds good, I thought it´s much more work. In fact I was just 
thinking "webapp" and getting nightmares with many angry apaches in it 
;) I´ll give it a try on the weekend.

> Lastly, the API is still an evolving spec, so don't be surprised if a
> few things change.  For example, we added some new stuff to the wiki
> just the other day, but have not yet implemented it in Tomboy or Snowy
> (wait for the weekend).  Additionally, we are about 95% sure that we
> will be switching to OAuth instead of basic HTTP authentication.  This
> change will have an impact on the GUI you develop for setting up Snowy
> sync in Conboy.
>   
Thanks for the info about OAuth. I´ll read about it as soon as I can.
One thing about the API: Wouldn´t it be nice to include the cursor 
position into the JSON? It´s not super important, but personally I like 
to see where I stopped editing. It would be nice to have that even when 
switching computers/devices.

> Once we have switched to OAuth and done some unit testing of security
> stuff, we'll set up a demo server.  I'm hoping this will happen in the
> next week or so, but it's hard to guess since we do this in our spare
> time.
>   
Great, that´s soon enough :) I hope I´ll have something working in about 
(Continue reading)

Sandy Armstrong | 4 Jun 16:34 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald@...> wrote:
> Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> We do not have a demo instance set up anywhere yet.  As soon as we do,
>> you can definitely have an account!  If you read the INSTALL in Snowy,
>> it's actually not very time-consuming to set your own up.  It takes
>> about 2 minutes (including fetching Django from SVN).
>>
>
> That sounds good, I thought it愀 much more work. In fact I was just thinking
> "webapp" and getting nightmares with many angry apaches in it ;) I惻l give it
> a try on the weekend.

If you have any issues, feel free to ask for help in #snowy or
#tomboy, also we have a mailing list for snowy now:

http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/snowy-list

>> Lastly, the API is still an evolving spec, so don't be surprised if a
>> few things change.  For example, we added some new stuff to the wiki
>> just the other day, but have not yet implemented it in Tomboy or Snowy
>> (wait for the weekend).  Additionally, we are about 95% sure that we
>> will be switching to OAuth instead of basic HTTP authentication.  This
>> change will have an impact on the GUI you develop for setting up Snowy
>> sync in Conboy.
>>
>
> Thanks for the info about OAuth. I惻l read about it as soon as I can.
> One thing about the API: Wouldn愒 it be nice to include the cursor position
> into the JSON? It愀 not super important, but personally I like to see where I
(Continue reading)

Cornelius Hald | 4 Jun 16:51 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald <at> icandy.de> wrote:
> If you have any issues, feel free to ask for help in #snowy or
> #tomboy, also we have a mailing list for snowy now:
> 
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/snowy-list

Thanks, I will!

> Perhaps.  It is not something that was ever supported in sync before,
> and would not be supported in Tomboy 0.14.x (we could definitely add
> support in 0.15.x, though).  I can definitely see how it would be
> useful.  Need to think a bit about the consequences of 0.14.x
> interoperability (it would be a pain if every time a 0.14.x client did
> a sync, it messed up your cursor position, for example).

Ah, I see. I wasn´t aware of that. In fact I never really used the 
current sync implementation (shame on me).

A last question comes to mind: Are there plans to move the information 
that a note is pinned into the XML? Last time that I checked this was 
stored in gconf which makes it a bit more complicated to handle and IMO 
it´s just meta data like change date or tags. Maybe it could even be 
converted to a "System:SomeThing:Pinned" tag?!

Cheers!
Conny

_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
(Continue reading)

Sandy Armstrong | 4 Jun 17:07 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald@...> wrote:
> A last question comes to mind: Are there plans to move the information that
> a note is pinned into the XML? Last time that I checked this was stored in
> gconf which makes it a bit more complicated to handle and IMO it´s just meta
> data like change date or tags. Maybe it could even be converted to a
> "System:SomeThing:Pinned" tag?!

I've gone back and forth on this. We have a bug filed about it:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433412

I think the majority opinion is to keep the pinned state *out* of the note XML.

I don't think it's really any more complicated to handle, at least in
Tomboy where it is encapsulated in the Note.IsPinned property.

Sandy
_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com

Cornelius Hald | 4 Jun 17:23 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> I've gone back and forth on this. We have a bug filed about it:
> 
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433412
> 
> I think the majority opinion is to keep the pinned state *out* of the note XML.
> 
> I don't think it's really any more complicated to handle, at least in
> Tomboy where it is encapsulated in the Note.IsPinned property.

After reading the comments I see the conflict. I see pros and cons for 
both sharing and syncing but it´s always a user preference.

A use case not mentioned in the bug would be:
A small team is sharing project notes. There pinned notes could be used 
like sticky posts in a forum and therefor should be shared...

Well, but it´s tricky. Even if you make it configurable whether or not 
the pinned state should be synchronized/shared, it would have to be 
configurable for each sync/share partner which quickly would be come a 
usability/UI nightmare.

I´m not having any opinion about that subject anymore - please forget 
that I was asking ;)

Conny
_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com
(Continue reading)

Sandy Armstrong | 4 Jun 17:32 2009
Picon

Re: Snowy test account

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald <at> icandy.de> wrote:
> Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> I've gone back and forth on this. We have a bug filed about it:
>>
>> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433412
>>
>> I think the majority opinion is to keep the pinned state *out* of the note
>> XML.
>>
>> I don't think it's really any more complicated to handle, at least in
>> Tomboy where it is encapsulated in the Note.IsPinned property.
>
> After reading the comments I see the conflict. I see pros and cons for both
> sharing and syncing but it愀 always a user preference.
>
> A use case not mentioned in the bug would be:
> A small team is sharing project notes. There pinned notes could be used like
> sticky posts in a forum and therefor should be shared...
>
> Well, but it愀 tricky. Even if you make it configurable whether or not the
> pinned state should be synchronized/shared, it would have to be configurable
> for each sync/share partner which quickly would be come a usability/UI
> nightmare.

Well, just keep in mind that we are not yet at the point where we are
supporting any sort of note sharing between users.  It is a good think
to aim for, but right now it is a very fuzzy use case which has not
been spec'd out.  This reduces the complexity, for now.

(Continue reading)

Paul Cutler | 10 Jun 16:16 2009
Picon

Re: Tomboy Test Day

(Re-sending as I had to change my email address on the list)

Hi, just wanted to confirm we're still having our test / bug day next week Tuesday, June 16th.

Is there anything we need to do to prepare?

Paul

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Michael Fletcher <m.fletcher-UlIDemYWbGUCzWx7n4ubxQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Doh.  Sorry.

I'm planning it for Tuesday June 16.  Ignore the date in my email.

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8@public.gmane.orgm> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Michael Fletcher
> <m.fletcher-UlIDemYWbGUCzWx7n4ubxQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've come up with a rough plan for a Tomboy Test Day scheduled for
>> Tuesday June 2, right after the Tomboy 0.15.2 release.
>
> The wiki page says Tuesday June 16.
>
> Sandy
>
>
_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list <at> lists.beatniksoftware.com
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com

_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com

Gmane