Jeff Tickle | 10 Oct 19:54 2007

Backspacing Over Bugzilla Link

Hello,

Currently, if you backspace over a bugzilla link, all of the text tag
data is gone (the image and the link), and the last character of the
bug number gets deleted.

Before Backspace:

[bug]_123456_

After Backspace:

12345

This feels a little buggy, particularly that the link does NOT change
to reflect the new number.  Would it be better for a backspace to
delete the whole text tag including the bug number (of course this
would be undoable), or to leave the bug number there and delete the
tag information (so the whole number would be there but not linked and
no image)?

Boyd says:

> I think on backspace, what should probably happen is that the entire
> text line ought to have the TextTag removed so that the image widget
> disappears and the link disappears.  The text should still stay put
> though.  What do you think?

I disagree and think the whole bug number and tag and everything
should be removed.
(Continue reading)

Boyd Timothy | 10 Oct 20:00 2007
Picon

Re: Backspacing Over Bugzilla Link

On 10/10/07, Jeff Tickle <jeff@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, if you backspace over a bugzilla link, all of the text tag
> data is gone (the image and the link), and the last character of the
> bug number gets deleted.
>
> Before Backspace:
>
> [bug]_123456_
>
> After Backspace:
>
> 12345
>
> This feels a little buggy, particularly that the link does NOT change
> to reflect the new number.  Would it be better for a backspace to
> delete the whole text tag including the bug number (of course this
> would be undoable), or to leave the bug number there and delete the
> tag information (so the whole number would be there but not linked and
> no image)?
>
> Boyd says:
>
> > I think on backspace, what should probably happen is that the entire
> > text line ought to have the TextTag removed so that the image widget
> > disappears and the link disappears.  The text should still stay put
> > though.  What do you think?
>
> I disagree and think the whole bug number and tag and everything
(Continue reading)

Andrew Conkling | 15 Oct 01:48 2007
Picon

SSH synchronization problems

I've been using Unison to sync my notes between my computers, but I just upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy/GNOME 2.20 and I'm trying to synchronize my notes via the SSH plugin.

I got sshfs/fuse working via instructions here: http://gbroon.com/node/2, and I was able to get the notes to synchronize once to the remote directory ~/0/0, but I'd like to set it up to synchronize directly with my ~/.tomboy directory. (Slight aside: should it do this by default? It's the only way I can think of this being useful.)

I set the configuration to synchronize with ~/andrew/.tomboy/ but I keep getting a nondescript error:
"Error connecting to the synchronization service. Please try again."
The details are empty.

~/.tomboy.log spits out some (hopefully useful) information:
10/14/2007 7:32:12 PM [DEBUG]: SyncThread using SyncServiceAddin: SSH (sshfs FUSE)
10/14/2007 7:32:18 PM [DEBUG]: Error calling /usr/bin/sshfs
10/14/2007 7:32:18 PM [DEBUG]: Exception while creating SyncServer: An error ocurred while connecting to the specified server:

fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

  at Tomboy.Sync.FuseSyncServiceAddin.MountFuse (Boolean useStoredValues) [0x00000]
  at Tomboy.Sync.FuseSyncServiceAddin.CreateSyncServer () [0x00000]
  at Tomboy.Sync.SyncManager.SynchronizationThread () [0x00000]

Anyone have any ideas that would help?

Thanks so much,
Andrew Conkling

_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com
Sanford Armstrong | 15 Oct 02:15 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/14/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling@...> wrote:
> I've been using Unison to sync my notes between my computers, but I just
> upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy/GNOME 2.20 and I'm trying to synchronize my notes
> via the SSH plugin.
>
> I got sshfs/fuse working via instructions here: http://gbroon.com/node/2,
> and I was able to get the notes to synchronize once to the remote directory
> ~/0/0, but I'd like to set it up to synchronize directly with my ~/.tomboy
> directory. (Slight aside: should it do this by default? It's the only way I
> can think of this being useful.)

This can be summed up like this:

Tomboy synchronization is a client/server model.  Configure each of
your computers with Tomboy to synchronize to one common (empty!)
location.  That location is the "server".

This is not like Unison which tries to synchronize your ~/.tomboy
locations with one another.  You need to have a single location on
some server that all of your Tomboys synchronize with.

It sounds like you have one desktop computer that servers as your SSH
server.  Make a new empty directory, say "~/tomboy-sync/".  On the
computer that is also the server, use the "Local Folder" sync service
to sync to "~/tomboy-sync/".  On your other computer(s), use the SSH
sync service to connect to the first computer, and use that
"tomboy-sync" as the Folder Path.

Assuming I've understood your situation, this should work fine.  If
you have any further issues, please let me know.  If you find any new
bugs today, I may have time to fix them before the 0.8.1 release
tomorrow morning.  :-)

Best,
Sandy
Andrew Conkling | 15 Oct 16:50 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/14/07, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

It sounds like you have one desktop computer that servers as your SSH
server.  Make a new empty directory, say "~/tomboy-sync/".  On the
computer that is also the server, use the "Local Folder" sync service
to sync to "~/tomboy-sync/".  On your other computer(s), use the SSH
sync service to connect to the first computer, and use that
"tomboy-sync" as the Folder Path.

Assuming I've understood your situation, this should work fine.  If
you have any further issues, please let me know.  If you find any new
bugs today, I may have time to fix them before the 0.8.1 release
tomorrow morning.  :-)

This sounds like just the information that I needed; I was under a mistaken impression about the way that Tomboy operates.

I haven't had a chance to try yet, but I expect I'll be just fine from your clear instructions here. Would it be helpful if I put this description/these instructions up somewhere, say on live.gnome.org?

Thanks and best regards,
Andrew Conkling
_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com
Sanford Armstrong | 15 Oct 16:55 2007
Picon

ANNOUNCE: Tomboy 0.8.1 Released (stable bugfix release)

Hi All,

This email is to announce Tomboy 0.8.1, a stable bugfix release in the
0.8.x series that is part of GNOME 2.20.x.  This release fixes note
synchronization for Fedora, Gentoo, and other distributions, and
includes other fixes as well as updated translations.

Tomboy is a simple personal note-taking application designed to be
unobtrusive and friendly, while supporting inter-note-links similar to
a WikiWikiWeb to help you organize your notes and ideas.  It can run
either as a GNOME panel applet or a notification tray icon.

Tomboy's Website: http://www.gnome.org/projects/tomboy

Tomboy's Wiki: http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy
 * Road Map: http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/RoadMap
 * Brainstorming: http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/PlaceForNewIdeas

Tomboy is available at:

http://download.gnome.org/sources/tomboy/0.8/tomboy-0.8.1.tar.gz
 md5sum: eeaf7298eabf4baf7d5056fb61f09fb5
 size: 2.5M

http://download.gnome.org/sources/tomboy/0.8/tomboy-0.8.1.tar.bz2
 md5sum: 06b0caaa6ceffade9d664bcd1806e962
 size: 1.8M

Be careful on eBay, please: http://xkcd.com/325/

This release includes the following:

Version 0.8.1
* Fix sync configuration on Fedora, Gentoo, and others (#484644, #479748).
* Fix highlighting behavior in note search (#392907, Jeff Tickle).
* Restore original new note content selection behavior (#449478).
* Updated translations for many languages.

Special thanks to everyone entering bugs, submitting patches,
keeping translations up to date, and helping to make Tomboy
better!  You rock!

Sandy
Sanford Armstrong | 15 Oct 16:59 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/15/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling@...> wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...> wrote:
> > It sounds like you have one desktop computer that servers as your SSH
> > server.  Make a new empty directory, say "~/tomboy-sync/".  On the
> > computer that is also the server, use the "Local Folder" sync service
> > to sync to "~/tomboy-sync/".  On your other computer(s), use the SSH
> > sync service to connect to the first computer, and use that
> > "tomboy-sync" as the Folder Path.
> >
> > Assuming I've understood your situation, this should work fine.  If
> > you have any further issues, please let me know.  If you find any new
> > bugs today, I may have time to fix them before the 0.8.1 release
> > tomorrow morning.  :-)
>
> This sounds like just the information that I needed; I was under a mistaken
> impression about the way that Tomboy operates.
>
> I haven't had a chance to try yet, but I expect I'll be just fine from your
> clear instructions here. Would it be helpful if I put this description/these
> instructions up somewhere, say on live.gnome.org?

Anything that you think would be helpful for other users, it would be
awesome to see on live.gnome.org.  Thanks!

Sandy
Andrew Conkling | 16 Oct 03:49 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/14/07, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Assuming I've understood your situation, this should work fine.  If
you have any further issues, please let me know.  If you find any new
bugs today, I may have time to fix them before the 0.8.1 release
tomorrow morning.  :-)

Well, I did hit a snag when I try to sync via SSH. I'm not sure whether the problem is in Ubuntu/tomboy/fuse, but I can't get it to sync at all now:

"fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe use the 'nonempty' mount option"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/152978

Can you shed any light on this?

Cheers,
Andrew
_______________________________________________
Tomboy-list mailing list
Tomboy-list@...
http://lists.beatniksoftware.com/listinfo.cgi/tomboy-list-beatniksoftware.com
Sanford Armstrong | 16 Oct 15:10 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/15/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling@...> wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...> wrote:
> > Assuming I've understood your situation, this should work fine.  If
> > you have any further issues, please let me know.  If you find any new
> > bugs today, I may have time to fix them before the 0.8.1 release
> > tomorrow morning.  :-)
>
> Well, I did hit a snag when I try to sync via SSH. I'm not sure whether the
> problem is in Ubuntu/tomboy/fuse, but I can't get it to sync at all now:
>
> "fuse: mountpoint is not empty
>  fuse: if you are sure this is safe use the 'nonempty' mount option"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/152978
>
> Can you shed any light on this?

I'd like to know if anybody else is experiencing this.  I haven't been
able to reproduce the problem, but clearly sync is getting into a
weird state.

If you receive that error, and restarting Tomboy doesn't fix it, the
following command should fix things (probably best to run while Tomboy
is not running):

$ fusermount -u ~/.tomboy/sync-sshfs

If you receive this error when syncing with WebDAV, replace "sshfs"
with "wdfs" in the above command.

This seemed to fix the problem for the reporter of that Launchpad bug.

Again, if anybody else runs into this problem, please reply here or on
the bug and give any info you can think of (and ~/.tomboy.log output).

Sandy
Sanford Armstrong | 17 Oct 02:47 2007
Picon

Re: SSH synchronization problems

On 10/16/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling@...> wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...> wrote:
> > If you receive that error, and restarting Tomboy doesn't fix it, the
> > following command should fix things (probably best to run while Tomboy
> > is not running):
> >
> > $ fusermount -u ~/.tomboy/sync-sshfs
>
>
> I removed the applet (any other way to temporarily close Tomboy?), ran the
> above command, reopened Tomboy (ended up in the systray this time, FWIW),
> and had the following problem reported in tomboy.log:
>
> 10/16/2007 8:14:07 PM [DEBUG]: Error calling /usr/bin/sshfs
> 10/16/2007 8:14:07 PM [DEBUG]: Unexpected error calling
> sshfs.SaveConfiguration: Cannot read from a closed StreamReader
>   at System.IO.StreamReader.Read (System.Char[] dest_buffer, Int32 index,
> Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd () [0x00000]
>   at Tomboy.Sync.FuseSyncServiceAddin.MountFuse (Boolean
> useStoredValues) [0x00000]
>   at Tomboy.Sync.FuseSyncServiceAddin.SaveConfiguration ()
> [0x00000]
>   at Tomboy.PreferencesDialog.OnSaveSyncAddinButton
> (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs args) [0x00000]

I wonder if somehow the permissions are screwed up.  Are you
connecting as the same SSH user on each of your computers?

I'll look at this more as soon as I can.

Sandy

Gmane