Wade Mealing | 3 Jul 02:19 2006
Picon

Re: Fwd: Gnome's Women's Summer Outreach Program.

Gday,

I'm not the definitive guide for this,a lthough I'll do what I can to get the ball rolling.

Tomboy is written in C#, not C or C++, more specifically it was targeted to run using the <a href=" http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page/">mono</a> run time.

You can get this with most modern distributions, Fedora Core 5, ubuntu and I'm sure there are others.

There are a number of items on the wish list, just from what i can remember.

Networked notes
Export to wiki
Beagle integration to search window

I think that others can possibly fill this list out.. but I guess this is just getting things started.

Wade



On 7/1/06, n.sowmya n.sowmya <sowmya.n1803-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi,

My name is Sowmya. I came to know about the Gnome's Women's Summer
Outreach Program. I saw the list of projects and found Tomboy to be
interesting. I would like to have more details regarding, how I can
proceed with that. I have worked on GNU/Linux for my final project. I
liked the platform and would like to improve my programming abilities. I
have a good knowledge of C programming and know a little bit of C++. I
would like to learn any other language, if required for this project.

I have a brother, who is also a programmer. He is familiar with
programming on GNU/Linux. So getting help locally would not be a problem.

Please send me more details, regarding what I can do for the project.

Warm regards,
Sowmya N

_______________________________________________
tomboy-list mailing list
tomboy-list-jEoE1iA3QjUd9SLi6J12IkEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org
http://beatniksoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/tomboy-list_beatniksoftware.com



--
--

Wade Mealing
_______________________________________________
tomboy-list mailing list
tomboy-list@...
http://beatniksoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/tomboy-list_beatniksoftware.com
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni | 4 Jul 03:00 2006
Picon

Couldn't start self-compiled tomboy

Hi,

at the GUADEC Alex asked me to compile tomboy to verify a bug. I am not
really familiar with building applications by my own (you know, this
damn apt ;) ).

I use Ubuntu Dapper on a PowerPC.

First I run "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local". Then make and make
install. There was no errors. 

I killed tomboy and then start it from the command line:

> prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ tomboy
> Trying Plugin: Evolution.dll ... EvolutionPlugin. Done.
> Trying Plugin: ExportToHTML.dll ... ExportToHTMLPlugin. Done.
> Trying Plugin: GalagoPresence.dll ... GalagoPresencePlugin. Done.
> Trying Plugin: PrintNotes.dll ... PrintPlugin. Done.
> Trying Plugin: tomboy-reminder.dll ... Reminder. Done.
> D:ERROR: Error activating Galago service: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by any
.service files
> D:ERROR: Error sending GalagoCore.Register: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by any
.service files
> D:ERROR: Error registering local Galago connection.
> Loading up the person trie, Part 1...
> Loading up the person trie, Part 2...
> Done.
> Adding link:person tag...
> 
> Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
> in <0x001d8> GLib.ObjectManager:CreateObject (IntPtr raw)
> in <0x00150> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o, Boolean owned_ref)
> in <0x00018> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o)
> in <0x00074> Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (IntPtr table, IntPtr tag)
> in (wrapper native-to-managed) Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (intptr,intptr)
> in <0x00000> <unknown method>
> in (wrapper managed-to-native) Gtk.TextTagTable:gtk_text_tag_table_add (intptr,intptr)
> in <0x0006c> Gtk.TextTagTable:Add (Gtk.TextTag tag)
> in <0x000cc> Reminder:Initialize ()
> in <0x00080> Tomboy.NotePlugin:Initialize (Tomboy.Note note)
> in <0x0011c> Tomboy.PluginManager:LoadPluginsForNote (Tomboy.Note note)
> in <0x001d0> Tomboy.NoteManager:LoadNotes ()
> in <0x00114> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory, System.String backup_directory)
> in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory)
> in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor ()
> in <0x00194> Tomboy.Tomboy:Main (System.String[] args)
> prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ which tomboy
> /usr/local/bin/tomboy

Did I do something wrong?

Regards,

Keywan

 
-- 
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net

people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
> 
--

-- 
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net

people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni | 4 Jul 16:10 2006
Picon

Re: Couldn't start self-compiled tomboy

Hi Sandy,

thank you for your help. I didn't removed tomboy via apt and I didn't
recompile it. I just moved "/usr/lib/tomboy/Plugins" and all the plugins
(including Reminder Plugins) to another place. After this tomboy starts
and the basic plugins (HTML and Printing) works fine.

I use tomboy from latest CVS. With this version I couldn't reproduce
this bug[1]. 
Should I test it with 0.3.5 from the original source, too?

Regards,

Keywan

Am Dienstag, den 04.07.2006, 05:57 -0700 schrieb Sanford Armstrong:
> I don't know if this will help with your problem, but...
> 
> I've found that the Tomboy that you get from Ubuntu is not compatible
> with what you build from source.  Specifically, some plugins from the
> Ubuntu package will not run with Tomboy 0.3.5 built from source.  If
> you really want your installed Tomboy to be from source, make sure
> you:
> 
> 1) Uninstall Tomboy using apt!
> 2) Make sure ~/.tomboy/Plugins is empty (reminder plugin should be OK, though)
> 3) make && sudo make install
> 
> However, if you want to keep the Ubuntu version of Tomboy and just run
> the version you built from source for testing purposes, do this:
> 
> 1) Make sure ~/.tomboy/Plugins is empty (reminder plugin should be OK, though)
> 2) make
> 3) (From the directory where you called make) ./tomboy
> 4) If you still get errors, find the place on your system where the
> tomboy plugins are installed (/usr/lib/tomboy/Plugins, I think) and
> temporarily move the Ubuntu-provided plugins somewhere else.  I forget
> if this step is necessary, but can't test it right now.
> 
> Of course, your problem may be something totally different.  Are you
> building from 0.3.5 or latest CVS?
> 
> Sandy
> 
> 
> On 7/3/06, Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni <lists@...> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at the GUADEC Alex asked me to compile tomboy to verify a bug. I am not
> > really familiar with building applications by my own (you know, this
> > damn apt ;) ).
> >
> > I use Ubuntu Dapper on a PowerPC.
> >
> > First I run "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local". Then make and make
> > install. There was no errors.
> >
> > I killed tomboy and then start it from the command line:
> >
> > > prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ tomboy
> > > Trying Plugin: Evolution.dll ... EvolutionPlugin. Done.
> > > Trying Plugin: ExportToHTML.dll ... ExportToHTMLPlugin. Done.
> > > Trying Plugin: GalagoPresence.dll ... GalagoPresencePlugin. Done.
> > > Trying Plugin: PrintNotes.dll ... PrintPlugin. Done.
> > > Trying Plugin: tomboy-reminder.dll ... Reminder. Done.
> > > D:ERROR: Error activating Galago service: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by any
.service files
> > > D:ERROR: Error sending GalagoCore.Register: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by
any .service files
> > > D:ERROR: Error registering local Galago connection.
> > > Loading up the person trie, Part 1...
> > > Loading up the person trie, Part 2...
> > > Done.
> > > Adding link:person tag...
> > >
> > > Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
> > > in <0x001d8> GLib.ObjectManager:CreateObject (IntPtr raw)
> > > in <0x00150> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o, Boolean owned_ref)
> > > in <0x00018> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o)
> > > in <0x00074> Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (IntPtr table, IntPtr tag)
> > > in (wrapper native-to-managed) Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (intptr,intptr)
> > > in <0x00000> <unknown method>
> > > in (wrapper managed-to-native) Gtk.TextTagTable:gtk_text_tag_table_add (intptr,intptr)
> > > in <0x0006c> Gtk.TextTagTable:Add (Gtk.TextTag tag)
> > > in <0x000cc> Reminder:Initialize ()
> > > in <0x00080> Tomboy.NotePlugin:Initialize (Tomboy.Note note)
> > > in <0x0011c> Tomboy.PluginManager:LoadPluginsForNote (Tomboy.Note note)
> > > in <0x001d0> Tomboy.NoteManager:LoadNotes ()
> > > in <0x00114> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory, System.String backup_directory)
> > > in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory)
> > > in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor ()
> > > in <0x00194> Tomboy.Tomboy:Main (System.String[] args)
> > > prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ which tomboy
> > > /usr/local/bin/tomboy
> >
> > Did I do something wrong?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Keywan
> >
> >
> > --
> > Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
> > http://www.prometoys.net
> >
> > people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
> > After unpacking world will be freed.
> > You are about to do something potentially beneficial
> > To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
> > >
> > --
> > Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
> > http://www.prometoys.net
> >
> > people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
> > After unpacking world will be freed.
> > You are about to do something potentially beneficial
> > To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > tomboy-list mailing list
> > tomboy-list@...
> > http://beatniksoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/tomboy-list_beatniksoftware.com
> >
--

-- 
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net

people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni | 4 Jul 16:30 2006
Picon

Re: Couldn't start self-compiled tomboy

Hi,

Damn, forgot to add the link:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/tomboy/+bug/51417

Regards,

Keywan

Am Dienstag, den 04.07.2006, 16:10 +0200 schrieb Keywan Najafi
Tonekaboni:
> Hi Sandy,
> 
> thank you for your help. I didn't removed tomboy via apt and I didn't
> recompile it. I just moved "/usr/lib/tomboy/Plugins" and all the plugins
> (including Reminder Plugins) to another place. After this tomboy starts
> and the basic plugins (HTML and Printing) works fine.
> 
> I use tomboy from latest CVS. With this version I couldn't reproduce
> this bug[1]. 
> Should I test it with 0.3.5 from the original source, too?
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Keywan
> 
> 
> 
> Am Dienstag, den 04.07.2006, 05:57 -0700 schrieb Sanford Armstrong:
> > I don't know if this will help with your problem, but...
> > 
> > I've found that the Tomboy that you get from Ubuntu is not compatible
> > with what you build from source.  Specifically, some plugins from the
> > Ubuntu package will not run with Tomboy 0.3.5 built from source.  If
> > you really want your installed Tomboy to be from source, make sure
> > you:
> > 
> > 1) Uninstall Tomboy using apt!
> > 2) Make sure ~/.tomboy/Plugins is empty (reminder plugin should be OK, though)
> > 3) make && sudo make install
> > 
> > However, if you want to keep the Ubuntu version of Tomboy and just run
> > the version you built from source for testing purposes, do this:
> > 
> > 1) Make sure ~/.tomboy/Plugins is empty (reminder plugin should be OK, though)
> > 2) make
> > 3) (From the directory where you called make) ./tomboy
> > 4) If you still get errors, find the place on your system where the
> > tomboy plugins are installed (/usr/lib/tomboy/Plugins, I think) and
> > temporarily move the Ubuntu-provided plugins somewhere else.  I forget
> > if this step is necessary, but can't test it right now.
> > 
> > Of course, your problem may be something totally different.  Are you
> > building from 0.3.5 or latest CVS?
> > 
> > Sandy
> > 
> > 
> > On 7/3/06, Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni <lists@...> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > at the GUADEC Alex asked me to compile tomboy to verify a bug. I am not
> > > really familiar with building applications by my own (you know, this
> > > damn apt ;) ).
> > >
> > > I use Ubuntu Dapper on a PowerPC.
> > >
> > > First I run "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local". Then make and make
> > > install. There was no errors.
> > >
> > > I killed tomboy and then start it from the command line:
> > >
> > > > prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ tomboy
> > > > Trying Plugin: Evolution.dll ... EvolutionPlugin. Done.
> > > > Trying Plugin: ExportToHTML.dll ... ExportToHTMLPlugin. Done.
> > > > Trying Plugin: GalagoPresence.dll ... GalagoPresencePlugin. Done.
> > > > Trying Plugin: PrintNotes.dll ... PrintPlugin. Done.
> > > > Trying Plugin: tomboy-reminder.dll ... Reminder. Done.
> > > > D:ERROR: Error activating Galago service: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by any
.service files
> > > > D:ERROR: Error sending GalagoCore.Register: The name org.freedesktop.Galago was not provided by
any .service files
> > > > D:ERROR: Error registering local Galago connection.
> > > > Loading up the person trie, Part 1...
> > > > Loading up the person trie, Part 2...
> > > > Done.
> > > > Adding link:person tag...
> > > >
> > > > Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
> > > > in <0x001d8> GLib.ObjectManager:CreateObject (IntPtr raw)
> > > > in <0x00150> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o, Boolean owned_ref)
> > > > in <0x00018> GLib.Object:GetObject (IntPtr o)
> > > > in <0x00074> Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (IntPtr table, IntPtr tag)
> > > > in (wrapper native-to-managed) Gtk.TextTagTable:tagadded_cb (intptr,intptr)
> > > > in <0x00000> <unknown method>
> > > > in (wrapper managed-to-native) Gtk.TextTagTable:gtk_text_tag_table_add (intptr,intptr)
> > > > in <0x0006c> Gtk.TextTagTable:Add (Gtk.TextTag tag)
> > > > in <0x000cc> Reminder:Initialize ()
> > > > in <0x00080> Tomboy.NotePlugin:Initialize (Tomboy.Note note)
> > > > in <0x0011c> Tomboy.PluginManager:LoadPluginsForNote (Tomboy.Note note)
> > > > in <0x001d0> Tomboy.NoteManager:LoadNotes ()
> > > > in <0x00114> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory, System.String backup_directory)
> > > > in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor (System.String directory)
> > > > in <0x00044> Tomboy.NoteManager:.ctor ()
> > > > in <0x00194> Tomboy.Tomboy:Main (System.String[] args)
> > > > prometoys <at> cassini:~/projekte/gnome/tomboy/tomboy$ which tomboy
> > > > /usr/local/bin/tomboy
> > >
> > > Did I do something wrong?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Keywan
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
> > > http://www.prometoys.net
> > >
> > > people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
> > > After unpacking world will be freed.
> > > You are about to do something potentially beneficial
> > > To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
> > > >
> > > --
> > > Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
> > > http://www.prometoys.net
> > >
> > > people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
> > > After unpacking world will be freed.
> > > You are about to do something potentially beneficial
> > > To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > tomboy-list mailing list
> > > tomboy-list@...
> > > http://beatniksoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/tomboy-list_beatniksoftware.com
> > >
--

-- 
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni
http://www.prometoys.net

people <at> world:/# apt-get --purge remove dominion
After unpacking world will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially beneficial
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as We say!'
Lauro Moura | 10 Jul 19:08 2006
Picon

Running Tomboy in Windows - png loading error

I'm trying to compile the tomboy-win32 branch in Windows using
mono-1.1.16 and after compiling when I try to run it raises an
exception about the png format not being recognizable.

I'm running Windows XP as a normal user (at college... =). While
installing mono (to the temp dir), I got some registry errors and
ignored them.

Any ideas?

--

-- 
------------------------
Lauro Moura <lauromoura[at]gmail[dot]com>
Computer Engineering Undergraduate
CIn - UFPE

http://lauro.wordpress.com
MSN: lauro1105[at]hotmail[dot]com
Registered Linux user #370246
-----------------------------------
Sanford Armstrong | 10 Jul 20:16 2006
Picon

Re: Running Tomboy in Windows - png loading error

On 7/10/06, Lauro Moura <lauromoura@...> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile the tomboy-win32 branch in Windows using
> mono-1.1.16 and after compiling when I try to run it raises an
> exception about the png format not being recognizable.

I've seen this problem sometimes.  I have not been able to isolate it
(or even reliably reproduce it).  The only think I can think of to try
is to replace the images with the ones in
http://svn.armstrong-clan.net/tomboy/data/images/ and compile and run
again.

If you figure out exactly what's causing it, please let me know, as
I'd like this problem to disappear.  :-)

Sandy
Lauro Moura | 10 Jul 22:39 2006
Picon

Re: Running Tomboy in Windows - png loading error

2006/7/10, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...>:
> I've seen this problem sometimes.  I have not been able to isolate it
> (or even reliably reproduce it).  The only think I can think of to try
> is to replace the images with the ones in
> http://svn.armstrong-clan.net/tomboy/data/images/ and compile and run
> again.
>

I did it and it's running now. I'll try again at home.

> If you figure out exactly what's causing it, please let me know, as
> I'd like this problem to disappear.  :-)

No problem. =)

--

-- 
------------------------
Lauro Moura <lauromoura[at]gmail[dot]com>
Computer Engineering Undergraduate
CIn - UFPE

http://lauro.wordpress.com
MSN: lauro1105[at]hotmail[dot]com
Registered Linux user #370246
-----------------------------------
Lauro Moura | 11 Jul 14:15 2006
Picon

Re: Running Tomboy in Windows - png loading error

2006/7/10, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...>:
> On 7/10/06, Lauro Moura <lauromoura@...> wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile the tomboy-win32 branch in Windows using
> > mono-1.1.16 and after compiling when I try to run it raises an
> > exception about the png format not being recognizable.
>
> I've seen this problem sometimes.  I have not been able to isolate it
> (or even reliably reproduce it).  The only think I can think of to try
> is to replace the images with the ones in
> http://svn.armstrong-clan.net/tomboy/data/images/ and compile and run
> again.
>
> If you figure out exactly what's causing it, please let me know, as
> I'd like this problem to disappear.  :-)
>
> Sandy
>

Here at college I managed to reproduce it. All I have to do is
checkout using cvs under the DOS prompt. While using the cvs in unix
everything worked fine.

After some "experiences" with hexdump and diff, I guess that cvs on
windows is thinking that those png files are text files, replacing
each "\n" ("0x0d") with "\r\n" ("0x0a0d").

--

-- 
------------------------
Lauro Moura <lauromoura[at]gmail[dot]com>
Computer Engineering Undergraduate
CIn - UFPE

http://lauro.wordpress.com
MSN: lauro1105[at]hotmail[dot]com
Registered Linux user #370246
-----------------------------------
Sanford Armstrong | 11 Jul 15:22 2006
Picon

Re: Running Tomboy in Windows - png loading error

On 7/11/06, Lauro Moura <lauromoura@...> wrote:
> 2006/7/10, Sanford Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@...>:
> > On 7/10/06, Lauro Moura <lauromoura@...> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to compile the tomboy-win32 branch in Windows using
> > > mono-1.1.16 and after compiling when I try to run it raises an
> > > exception about the png format not being recognizable.
> >
> > I've seen this problem sometimes.  I have not been able to isolate it
> > (or even reliably reproduce it).  The only think I can think of to try
> > is to replace the images with the ones in
> > http://svn.armstrong-clan.net/tomboy/data/images/ and compile and run
> > again.
> >
> > If you figure out exactly what's causing it, please let me know, as
> > I'd like this problem to disappear.  :-)
> >
> > Sandy
> >
>
> Here at college I managed to reproduce it. All I have to do is
> checkout using cvs under the DOS prompt. While using the cvs in unix
> everything worked fine.
>
> After some "experiences" with hexdump and diff, I guess that cvs on
> windows is thinking that those png files are text files, replacing
> each "\n" ("0x0d") with "\r\n" ("0x0a0d").

Ah!  I was just looking at this problem and I thought it odd that the
files were marked as Text/ASCII, but I didn't quite get what the
consequences were.  I'm used to Subversion, where you have to
specifically set a property on a file to have the eol characters
changed when switching platforms.

I ran `cvs admin -kb *.png && cvs update -A` in data/images, and now
those seem to work properly in Windows (I only did it on the win-32
branch).  Now I just have to see if this can help me fix the system
tray icon.

Thanks!
Sandy
Jesse King | 13 Jul 14:57 2006
Picon

Printing Error

Hello,

When I print any note from Tomboy, the output I get from the printer is as follows:

ERROR: Configurationerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

STACK:

-dictionary-

I'm printing to my default printer, a Dell 5100cn color laser networked printer. I've tried printing to 2 "copies" of this printer, one that is attached using LPD and one that is using SMB, not that it makes a difference. Any thoughts on this issue? Every other program prints fine to my knowledge.

Thanks!

Jesse

_______________________________________________
tomboy-list mailing list
tomboy-list@...
http://beatniksoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/tomboy-list_beatniksoftware.com

Gmane