Raeth | 1 Apr 19:03 2007
Picon

Sort by Type

Greetings,

I'm not sure if this should be classed as a bug or not, but I'd like
to bring it up. Nautilus allows you to set the default file sorting
according to "Name", "Type" and a couple of others I don't care about.

I prefer to sort by type, however when I select a file in this mode is
has a habit of jumping to another position, which repeats as I select
other files.

I'm guessing when I select a file, Nautilus gets the file type in more
depth, and so rearranged the file accordingly.

Just pointing this annoyance out,
Raeth
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list

Christof Krüger | 2 Apr 09:09 2007
Picon

Re: Patch: wider name column in list view

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:30 +0200, guenther wrote:
> Yes, it does.
> 
> Double-click the separator, and the column will adjust to best fit. It's
> the very same behavior and UI (double-click) as used in OpenOffice.org
> spreadsheet, btw.
Unfortunately, it does not work as expected. Double-clicking on the
separator returns to the default size (16 or 32 characters?) and not to
the "best fit" which would match the longest file name in most cases.
(Using version 2.18.0.1)

Christof Krüger

--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
guenther | 2 Apr 17:18 2007
Picon

Re: Patch: wider name column in list view

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:09 +0200, Christof Krüger wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:30 +0200, guenther wrote:
> > Yes, it does.
> > 
> > Double-click the separator, and the column will adjust to best fit. It's
> > the very same behavior and UI (double-click) as used in OpenOffice.org
> > spreadsheet, btw.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not work as expected. Double-clicking on the
> separator returns to the default size (16 or 32 characters?) and not to
> the "best fit" which would match the longest file name in most cases.
> (Using version 2.18.0.1)

Oops, forgot to follow-up. Indeed, you're right.

Shortly after my post Kjartan pinged me on IRC, and we found out some
details. Turns out the double-click makes GTK+ (?) set the width to some
default value. On the 2.14.x I had available at the time of the post
this indeed is "best fit", as in no file name is cropped. On later
versions the default is not the same, thus double-clicking will not
resize to best fit, but to the default...

  guenther

-- 
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0. <at> ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i<l;i++){ i%8? c<<=1:
(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Francesco Fumanti | 2 Apr 19:10 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: Patch: wider name column in list view

At 5:18 PM +0200 4/2/07, guenther wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:09 +0200, Christof Krüger wrote:
>>  On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:30 +0200, guenther wrote:
>>  > Yes, it does.
>>  >
>>  > Double-click the separator, and the column will adjust to best fit. It's
>>  > the very same behavior and UI (double-click) as used in OpenOffice.org
>>  > spreadsheet, btw.
>>
>>  Unfortunately, it does not work as expected. Double-clicking on the
>>  separator returns to the default size (16 or 32 characters?) and not to
>>  the "best fit" which would match the longest file name in most cases.
>>  (Using version 2.18.0.1)
>
>Oops, forgot to follow-up. Indeed, you're right.
>
>Shortly after my post Kjartan pinged me on IRC, and we found out some
>details. Turns out the double-click makes GTK+ (?) set the width to some
>default value. On the 2.14.x I had available at the time of the post
>this indeed is "best fit", as in no file name is cropped. On later
>versions the default is not the same, thus double-clicking will not
>resize to best fit, but to the default...

Is there a gconf key to change the default behaviour?

Francesco
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
(Continue reading)

Alexander Larsson | 3 Apr 11:27 2007
Picon

Re: Patch: wider name column in list view

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 19:10 +0200, Francesco Fumanti 
> 
> Is there a gconf key to change the default behaviour?

The only way to get the old behaviour back is to disable ellipsation in
the treeview. I don't think there is a way to get the old behaviour when
ellipsation is on. I think this is pretty weird, so maybe it can be
fixed in Gtk+.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc 
                   alexl <at> redhat.com    alla <at> lysator.liu.se 
He's a suicidal zombie card sharp with a mysterious suitcase handcuffed to his 
arm. She's a radical mutant barmaid in the wrong place at the wrong time. They 
fight crime! 

--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list

David Prieto | 4 Apr 08:26 2007
Picon

where's the "copying files" icon stored?

Hi,

When you copy some files in nautilus you get a progress window with a
specific icon, like the screenshot I attached.

The idea is really good as it gives a hint of how much is left without
even having to look at the window, but the icon looks a bit
old-fashioned. I'd like to make a new one, so could you tell me where
the current icon is stored so I can take a look at it and do some work
on it?

Thanks,

David.
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
Jaap Haitsma | 4 Apr 19:57 2007

Re: where's the "copying files" icon stored?

On 4/4/07, David Prieto <frandavid100 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When you copy some files in nautilus you get a progress window with a
> specific icon, like the screenshot I attached.
>
> The idea is really good as it gives a hint of how much is left without
> even having to look at the window, but the icon looks a bit
> old-fashioned. I'd like to make a new one, so could you tell me where
> the current icon is stored so I can take a look at it and do some work
> on it?
>
It's actually coded in
./libnautilus-private/nautilus-file-operations-progress.[ch]
and
./libnautilus-private/nautilus-file-operations-progress-icons.h

Jaap
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list

patrick guignot | 4 Apr 20:40 2007
Picon

Re: Two performance bugs

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:46:25 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote :
>
>This sounds like the "files in /usr/lib has no extensions, all files are sniffed for mimetype" issue.
>

But then why Konqueror open this directory in 2 seconds and Nautilus open this directory in 76 seconds ?
See this comment : http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362139#c9

Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos questions ! Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
Ravi Kumar | 4 Apr 22:19 2007
Picon

Re: Two performance bugs

moreover, try it in mozilla firefox, type the /usr/bin url , and it pretty much quickly shows all.
This is real performance bug.

I think, there could be a way.
Just to show all the files with a default gnome icon, and then, the process behind will parse the filetype magic bytes and updates the icons which are visible in viewport. When completed, it will go forward.

I want to get involved into nautilus development, but i failed to find any information on howto. Things were more confusing than suggesting on webpage/GNOME./




--
-=Ravi=-
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
Steven Brown | 5 Apr 08:35 2007
Picon

Re: Two performance bugs

Hi Ravi,

I also want to get involved with the code and did some searching for 
resources for my Summer of Code application.

If you download the source, there are some documents in the "docs" 
folder you may find useful.

~/Desktop/nautilus-2.18.0.1/docs $ ls
architecture.txt          Makefile.in             recommended-books.html
dnd.txt                   nautilus.faq            smoketests.html
key_mouse_navigation.txt  nautilus-internals.pdf  state-machines.txt
load-states.dia           nautilus-internals.sxw  style-guide.html
Makefile.am               nautilus-io.txt

I'm not sure how up-to-date everything is, but the 
nautilus-internals.pdf by Alexander Larson was quite informative.

Also, check out: http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus

I think it's more up-to-date than the project page 
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/).

Haven't actually dove in to the code yet.  (Still working on finishing 
the last couple weeks of school.)

Hope that helps.

Steve

Ravi Kumar wrote:
> moreover, try it in mozilla firefox, type the /usr/bin url , and it 
> pretty much quickly shows all.
> This is real performance bug.
> 
> I think, there could be a way.
> Just to show all the files with a default gnome icon, and then, the 
> process behind will parse the filetype magic bytes and updates the icons 
> which are visible in viewport. When completed, it will go forward.
> 
> I want to get involved into nautilus development, but i failed to find 
> any information on howto. Things were more confusing than suggesting on 
> webpage/GNOME./
> 
>     nautilus-list mailing list
>     nautilus-list <at> gnome.org <mailto:nautilus-list <at> gnome.org>
>     http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> -=Ravi=-
> 
--

-- 
nautilus-list mailing list
nautilus-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/nautilus-list


Gmane