Dave Neary | 12 Jul 22:28 2008
Picon

Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Hi,

I've already started to see a lot of bullshit about the GNOME 3.0
announcement and I think it would be useful for a GNOME release team
press release announcing our plans for the 3.0 release (date, goals,
over-riding plan) to explain that this is an incremental approach
similar to Ubuntu's (2 - 3 year major arcs, with regular 6 month
releases) and, above all, that this represents an evolution of existing
GNOME, and not a massive re-write or re-design of the desktop.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave.

Vincent Untz | 12 Jul 22:37 2008
Picon

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Le samedi 12 juillet 2008, à 22:28 +0200, Dave Neary a écrit :
> Hi,
> 
> I've already started to see a lot of bullshit about the GNOME 3.0
> announcement and I think it would be useful for a GNOME release team
> press release announcing our plans for the 3.0 release (date, goals,
> over-riding plan) to explain that this is an incremental approach
> similar to Ubuntu's (2 - 3 year major arcs, with regular 6 month
> releases) and, above all, that this represents an evolution of existing
> GNOME, and not a massive re-write or re-design of the desktop.
> 
> Thoughts?

Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.

I won't have a lot of time next week, but I'll do my best to at least
help clear the mystery for people who didn't attend GUADEC -- I'll have
more time the week after.

Vincent

--

-- 
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.
--
marketing-list mailing list
marketing-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing-list

(Continue reading)

Alex Hudson | 12 Jul 23:06 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 12 juillet 2008, à 22:28 +0200, Dave Neary a écrit :
>   
>> I've already started to see a lot of bullshit about the GNOME 3.0
>> announcement and I think it would be useful for a GNOME release team
>> press release announcing our plans for the 3.0 release [..]
>
> Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
> Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
> FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.
>   

I would actually advocate taking a more non-document approach to this. 
So, although I see value in a press release, that's kind of a one-shot 
thing, and probably what's needed is a resource that people can point to 
again and again.

Something pretty prominent on gnome.org would be better, like 
gnome.org/3 or something, almost like a kind of "what's new" but looking 
forward, with mock-ups where appropriate and that kind of thing.

I think the bullshit is probably a direct result of not much information 
being out - for those of us not at GUADEC there's very little you can 
say about gnome 3 other than the date and the Project Ridley stuff. 
Understandable in a way, really, and promising: people don't speculate 
about stuff they don't care about.

Cheers,

Alex.
(Continue reading)

Olav Vitters | 13 Jul 01:27 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:37:06PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
> Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
> FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.
> 
> I won't have a lot of time next week, but I'll do my best to at least
> help clear the mystery for people who didn't attend GUADEC -- I'll have
> more time the week after.

I'm planning to make a wiki page which explains GNOME 3 in steps.

First a short overview for lazy people, then a more detailed
explanation, then a FAQ. I'll limit it to release-team (and interested
people) to prevent it from containing wrong info (meaning more: document
not being what all r-t members agree upon).

Olav Vitters | 14 Jul 10:57 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:27:52AM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:37:06PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
> > Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
> > FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.
> > 
> > I won't have a lot of time next week, but I'll do my best to at least
> > help clear the mystery for people who didn't attend GUADEC -- I'll have
> > more time the week after.
> 
> I'm planning to make a wiki page which explains GNOME 3 in steps.
> 
> First a short overview for lazy people, then a more detailed
> explanation, then a FAQ. I'll limit it to release-team (and interested
> people) to prevent it from containing wrong info (meaning more: document
> not being what all r-t members agree upon).

Vincent: Please send the presentation to me as a reminder.

Olav Vitters | 14 Jul 13:00 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:37:06PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
> Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
> FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.

Rough document is at: http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3. I want to add loads
more stuff. The document is currently only readable by r-t members.

release-team: Please subscribe. Note that I still want to change
wording, add more details, more FAQ items, etc.

It should NOT contain the presentation. Those short words would give a
wrong impression. I do want to link to the presentation by Kris.

Also glib changes required libraries to be '...'. I forgot the term.

Hopefully I can finish all my additions by latest tonight.

Andre Klapper | 14 Jul 13:32 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Am Montag, den 14.07.2008, 13:00 +0200 schrieb Olav Vitters:
> Rough document is at: http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3. I want to add loads
> more stuff. The document is currently only readable by r-t members.

There's also http://live.gnome.org/3.0 that redirects to
http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero which provides a contradictive
message ("There are no plans for a GNOME 3.0 release at this time").
Should we redirect both pages to http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3 ?

andre
Olav Vitters | 14 Jul 13:34 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 01:32:50PM +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Am Montag, den 14.07.2008, 13:00 +0200 schrieb Olav Vitters:
> > Rough document is at: http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3. I want to add loads
> > more stuff. The document is currently only readable by r-t members.
> 
> There's also http://live.gnome.org/3.0 that redirects to
> http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero which provides a contradictive
> message ("There are no plans for a GNOME 3.0 release at this time").
> Should we redirect both pages to http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3 ?

Just wait a while. Suggest to update those pages and say more
information will be available shortly. IMO we should link the final
document from or perhaps place it on www.gnome.org.

Note: Seems I am able to subscribe others (new moinmoin feature I
guess). So everyone is subscribed now.

Vincent Untz | 15 Jul 16:20 2008
Picon

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Le lundi 14 juillet 2008, à 13:00 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:37:06PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
> > Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
> > FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.
> 
> Rough document is at: http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3. I want to add loads
> more stuff. The document is currently only readable by r-t members.

I changed a few things here and there. I think we need some more work,
though, because it's still a bit rough around the edges. Are there some
people in the marketing team willing to help build the document? We'll
add you to the acl so you can edit it.

We might also want to start keeping track of the press articles talking
about all this so we can know how people understand all this and adapt
our communication. For example, I was quite pleased to read
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080714-gnome-3-0-officially-announced-and-explained.html

Any volunteer wanting to help with that?

Vincent

--

-- 
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.
--
marketing-list mailing list
marketing-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing-list

(Continue reading)

Olav Vitters | 15 Jul 16:33 2008

Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:26:47AM -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz <at> gnome.org> wrote:
> > I changed a few things here and there. I think we need some more work,
> > though, because it's still a bit rough around the edges. Are there some
> > people in the marketing team willing to help build the document? We'll
> > add you to the acl so you can edit it.
> >
> > We might also want to start keeping track of the press articles talking
> > about all this so we can know how people understand all this and adapt
> > our communication. For example, I was quite pleased to read
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080714-gnome-3-0-officially-announced-and-explained.html
> >
> > Any volunteer wanting to help with that?
>
> I'd be happy to help but I need to be added.

Suggest to put the current board on the acl (can't do it atm).

Stormy: Please create a StormyPeters userid on live.gnome.org.


Gmane