Enno Fennema | 2 Feb 09:03 2008
Picon

Window focus vs. raising

I am fairly new to Gnome. One feature that I have been unable to find is
 how to raise one window on the desktop but leave keyboard focus with
another. In the documentation all I find talks about 'selecting' a
window which then implies both giving focus and raising the window.

Is there any way to make a distinction ?

Appreciate ant comments
Enno Fennema
ritz | 2 Feb 11:40 2008
Picon

Re: De-activate automatic focus

Hello

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 03:12 -0300, Fernando Crespo Narbona wrote:
> I have just installed Ubuntu 7.10.  I have no 3d aceleration card. But
> when i chat with pidgin, when a contact talk to me, an instant message
> window apear, and focus. I'd like to know how to desactivate the
> automatic focus to new windows in metacity.
Hope the below helps

$ gconftool -2 --type string --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode\
   "strict"

> Thanks
> Fernando
> 
> 
>       Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle.
> Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa. www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar 
> _______________________________________________
> gnome-list mailing list
> gnome-list <at> gnome.org
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list
--

-- 
Ritesh Khadgaray
ॐ मणि पद्मे हूँ
Desktop LinuX N Stuff
Ph: +919970164885
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

_______________________________________________
(Continue reading)

Stefano Sabatini | 2 Feb 14:47 2008
Picon

gnome-terminal and F1

gnome-terminal 2.18.3 currently captures the F1 event which will run up
yelp with the documentation for gnome terminal.

In previous versions (<= 2.16 ?) I was able to deactivate this catch,
so that for example F1 when having mutt in the terminal displayed the
mutt help manual. 

This seems not to be possible anymore with gnome-terminal 2.18, any
hint?

I have a similiar problem with a telnet session, the
<Control>+<altgr>+"+" (which should correspond to <control>-"]" in my
keyboard) is captured and will result in the increase of the font size
used by the terminal, so that the only way that I know to terminate
the telnet session is to kill the window/telnet process.

A better design of the whole stuff would consider the use of a
modifier key (e.g the menu key present in most keywords) choosable by
the user which could be used to send all the event to the terminal,
rather than stealing out events meant to be sent to the application
running in the terminal.

For example I configured my windown manager (sawfish) so that it now
uses combination of super (the window key) for every WM command, in
this way I don't have any conflicts with applications keybindings.

Since the special nature of the gnome-terminal application, this would
seem to me a reasonable approach. I'd like to know the opinion of
other users/devs.

(Continue reading)

Olav Vitters | 2 Feb 20:48 2008

Re: gnome-terminal and F1

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:47:37PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> gnome-terminal 2.18.3 currently captures the F1 event which will run up
> yelp with the documentation for gnome terminal.

Just edit the keybindings and remove it. See the menu.

--

-- 
Regards,
Olav
ritz | 3 Feb 10:43 2008
Picon

Re: Debugging hotplug

Hello

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 22:58 +0000, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> sktop.Hal.Manager; member=DeviceAdded
>    string
> "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_1058_701_DEF103C306F1_if0_scsi_host"
> signal sender=:1.1 -> dest=(null destination)
> path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager;
> interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager; member=DeviceAdded
>    string 
<snip/>

Device is being picked up correctly. I suspect the issue lies with
gnome-volume-manager. Is the same running ?

 Does restart g-v-m help ?

--

-- 
Ritesh Khadgaray
ॐ मणि पद्मे हूँ
Desktop LinuX N Stuff
Ph: +919970164885
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

_______________________________________________
gnome-list mailing list
gnome-list <at> gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list
Stefano Sabatini | 3 Feb 12:45 2008
X-Face
Picon

Re: gnome-terminal and F1

On date Saturday 2008-02-02 20:48:23 +0100, Olav Vitters gnomed:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:47:37PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > gnome-terminal 2.18.3 currently captures the F1 event which will run up
> > yelp with the documentation for gnome terminal.
> 
> Just edit the keybindings and remove it. See the menu.

Hi Olav,

well I tried to disable the F1 thing with:

System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts
then I disabled the shortcut "Launch Help Browser"

then again I got the Yelp application launched when pressing the F1
key in the gnome-terminal (bug?).

Anyway I found this relevant:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-terminal/+bug/31344

Regards
--

-- 
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://counter.li.org)
Colin Brace | 3 Feb 16:26 2008
Picon

spellchecker and other languages

Hi all,

How do I add additional languages to gedit? I am running v2.20.04
under Fedora, and it currently only offers me the choice of US, UK, or
Canadian English. I would like to add Dutch and Spanish.

IIRC, it used to be just a matter of adding the appropriate language
files to ~/.aspell but that no longer seems to be the case.

Thanks.

--

-- 
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam
  http://lim.nl
Andrea Vettorello | 3 Feb 21:18 2008
Picon

Re: gnome-terminal and F1

On Feb 3, 2008 12:45 PM, Stefano Sabatini
<stefano.sabatini-lala <at> poste.it> wrote:
> On date Saturday 2008-02-02 20:48:23 +0100, Olav Vitters gnomed:
> > On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:47:37PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > > gnome-terminal 2.18.3 currently captures the F1 event which will run up
> > > yelp with the documentation for gnome terminal.
> >
> > Just edit the keybindings and remove it. See the menu.
>
> Hi Olav,
>
> well I tried to disable the F1 thing with:
>
> System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts
> then I disabled the shortcut "Launch Help Browser"
>
> then again I got the Yelp application launched when pressing the F1
> key in the gnome-terminal (bug?).
>
> Anyway I found this relevant:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-terminal/+bug/31344
>

I think you need to modify the gconf key /apps/gnome-terminal/keybindings/help

--

-- 
Andrea
Olav Vitters | 3 Feb 21:24 2008

Re: gnome-terminal and F1

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:18:13PM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 12:45 PM, Stefano Sabatini
> <stefano.sabatini-lala <at> poste.it> wrote:
> > On date Saturday 2008-02-02 20:48:23 +0100, Olav Vitters gnomed:
> > > On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:47:37PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > > > gnome-terminal 2.18.3 currently captures the F1 event which will run up
> > > > yelp with the documentation for gnome terminal.
> > >
> > > Just edit the keybindings and remove it. See the menu.
> >
> > Hi Olav,
> >
> > well I tried to disable the F1 thing with:
> >
> > System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts
> > then I disabled the shortcut "Launch Help Browser"
> >
> > then again I got the Yelp application launched when pressing the F1
> > key in the gnome-terminal (bug?).
> >
> > Anyway I found this relevant:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-terminal/+bug/31344
> >
> 
> I think you need to modify the gconf key /apps/gnome-terminal/keybindings/help

I misread the initial response. I meant to look in the gnome-terminal
menu. No need to revert to gconf-editor.

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Andrea Vettorello | 3 Feb 21:37 2008
Picon

Re: gnome-terminal and F1

On Feb 3, 2008 9:24 PM, Olav Vitters <olav <at> bkor.dhs.org> wrote:

[...]

> >
> > I think you need to modify the gconf key /apps/gnome-terminal/keybindings/help
>
> I misread the initial response. I meant to look in the gnome-terminal
> menu. No need to revert to gconf-editor.

Yeah, good point, i removed the terminal menu long time ago.

So if you have "Editable menu shortcut keys" enabled, you only need to
select the menu entry and press the delete key...

--

-- 
Andrea

Gmane