Meeting Minutes Published - January 18, 2011
Brian Cameron <brian.cameron <at> oracle.com>
2011-02-03 22:15:32 GMT
The meeting minutes for the January 6th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published. Refer here:
Other past board meetings are archived here:
-- text of the latest minutes follows --
Minutes for Meeting of January 18th, 2011
* February 1st, 2011
* Andreas Nilsson
* Bastien Nocera
* Emily Chen
* Germán Póo-Caamaño
* Og Maciel
* Paul Cutler
* Rosanna Yuen
* Brian Cameron
* Review past action items.
* Did each person with action items send their status reports to
the board list before the meeting?
* Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
* Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
* Update foundation.gnome.org website.
* Mono Hackfest:
o Held in Brussels, February 7-11 (directly after FOSDEM
o The Board has approved it. (+6)
* Event Box:
o FOSDEM is in a couple of weeks and GNOME 3 is around the
corner. Having a functional Event Box in Europe is a must.
o Bastien will ask to Murray to insist to UPS wrt the lost
o We are going to replace the old event box with a new one.
€3,000 would be ok, but it should not restricted to that.
If it were necessary, €5,000 well spent still would be ok.
The figures are approximate.
o [ACTION]: Bastien to e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one
more time regarding the lost Event Box.
* Friends of GNOME (FoG) updates
o Needs to follow up with those who have deliverables.
+ Not getting replies. Does the Board have any
o Keeping Previous Donors web page up to date.
o Helping Rosanna track new subscriptions and donations.
# [ACTION]: Bastien to e-mail GIMP about changing
their website, and procedure for donating.
+ Women's Outreach
* Canonical notified the board of their plans to ship Qt by default.
o Discussing how to respond.
o What can we do to improve the popularity of GTK+?
+ Better documentation, examples for User and Developer
documentation may improve GTK+'s appeal.
+ Someone should take on spearheading a series of
conversations, hackfests, etc .to raise GTK+
# GNOME Journal themed publication with coding
# Get some articles re-published from LWN?
* Brian - Will discuss with Bradley Kuhn ideas about how to improve
* Paul - Will do a call for agenda items to the Advisory Board
Status of action items
* Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
public. (will ping again).
* Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
gnome-de <at> gnome.org mailing list about finding local German
volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
* Andreas - Will send out emails to get more contacts or
suggestions for someone who may be interested in applying.
* Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
to Texas Instruments.
* Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
* Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
results from internal review process and email it to the board.
* Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons,
last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
* Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
Friends of GNOME post card sending.
* Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
* Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
* Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
to plan for a hackfest there.
* Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
* Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
them. Taken over from Jorge.
* Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
Foundation money in Euros (€).
* Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
less money from Brazil.
* Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
board to review.
* Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll
plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
* Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task
and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey
topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
* Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
him what his idea is for doing this.
o Still haven't heard back from vuntz
o Still on ToDo.
* Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that
refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
o Still on ToDo.
* Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for
o Still on ToDo.
* Og - Will email the ED mailing list and ask for an update on how
the hiring process is going, how many applications, etc.
* Og - Will email the foundation-list mailing list with a reminder
of January 12th IRC meeting time details.
* Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
over from Behdad Esfahbod.
* Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
* Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-
marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net
to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for
gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
* Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
* Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark
agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
* Paul - Will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more
details about what sort of work we would like to have done for
the marketing contract.
* Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
bank to continue process.
* Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for
GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it
already for GNOME.
* Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
New Action Items
* Bastien - To e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one more time
regarding the lost Event Box.
* Bastien - To e-mail GIMP about changing their website, and
procedure for donating.
Discussed on Mailing List
* Hiring an Executive Director
o Deadline for applications extended to January 26th:
o Brian and Og are now participating on the ED hiring
* T-Shirt Contest Extended:
o Announcing the results for the Mobile bidding process.
o Planning for the GNOME+Mono hackfest following FOSDEM 2011.
The total cost is expected to be $2,200. Canonical
expressed an interest in sponsoring with $500 (US), so the
cost would currently be $1,700 (US) to The GNOME Foundation.
o Discussion about organizing a GNOME booth at FOSDEM. The
board approved spending 400 Euro to make stickers
o Planning for the GNOME IRC meeting on January 12th.
o The board decided to move the board meeting to Tuesdays to
better accommodate schedules.
* Discussions with Bradley Kuhn about how the Free Software
Conservancy (SFC) and The GNOME Foundation could work together.
* Discussion about possibly setting up a store in China selling
GNOME branded merchandise.
* Brian composed the Q4 report for the board.
* Discussion about better automating how donations are received.