Ekaterina Gerasimova | 12 Apr 01:32 2014
Picon

Current state of Foundation finances

Dear Foundation members,

Due to a shortfall in the budget, the Foundation board voted on
2014-04-08 to freeze all expenditure which is not essential to the
running of the Foundation. This freeze affects sponsorship expenses
which are unpaid at this time, but it does not affect the funds which
we hold for other organisations.

By keeping our expenditures to a minimum while we regain some delayed
revenue, we aim to have things back to normal within a few months. All
Foundation members who expect to receive reimbursements within the
next three months have already been informed of the issue and most
have responded positively. The board will prioritise these pending
reimbursements over other expenses.

The issue has been caused by a number of factors. These include
increased administrative overheads in the last few years due to the
increased turnover which has been caused by to the Outreach Program
for Women (OPW), and the associated payments going out while the
associated income has been slow to come in.

The board expects that you may have some questions or would like to
know more details about the problem, please read
https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/CurrentBudgetFAQ and contact
the board at board-list <at> gnome.org if you have any further questions.
Andrea Veri | 10 Apr 19:57 2014
Picon

Changes on the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee

Dear Foundation Members,

the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee reviewed its members list 
and two free spots were found. In particular I would like to thank 
Pedro and Federico for serving the Committee during all these months. 

Lately the membership queue has been delayed in being processed for a 
lack of man power and we're therefore looking for one or two more 
members to join our ranks. Given mentoring new members requires time 
and efforts to the current members I'd suggest you to apply 
for the open positions only in the case you have at least 1-2 hours 
per week to contribute to the team. (and you are an existing member of 
the GNOME Foundation)

Being part of the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee takes in the 
following responsibilities:

- Learning the team's policies and procedures listed at [1].
- Processing the applications that are sent to our Request Tracker 
  istance [2], and eventually welcome new Foundation Members that 
  have enough contributions for their membership application to be
  accepted.
- Participate at meetings. We don't plan many nowadays, but surely
  2 or 3 per year.
- Help organizing the Board of Directors elections each June before
  GUADEC.
- Make sure you are connected to our IRC channel (#membership on
  irc.gnome.org)

Thanks for your attention!
(Continue reading)

Andreas Nilsson | 7 Apr 21:44 2014
Picon

Agenda for board meeting April 8th

Hello Foundation members!
Next board meeting is April 8th at 16:00 UTC

This is the agenda:
* Travel sponsorship for 2 attendees to go to 15th FISL (867 USD)
* Travel sponsorship for LGM for two attendees.
* Outstanding reimbursements
* Budget
  * We still lack a budget for this fiscal year.
  * OPW project has grown a lot. This is great! However, we are taking a 
greater financial risk handling the money between the organizations and 
the attendees. It also makes it a bigger work burden and we need to 
discuss how to handle this.
* Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
  * GNOME.Asia
* License grant (trademark) to use the GNOME Foot for worldofgnome.org
  * We were asked to license the use of a modified GNOME Foot logo for 
worldofgnome.org, let's vote on it

- Andreas
Picon

Memberships needing renewal 2014-03


Hi,

seems the cronjob did not run properly the previous month and no
emails were sent to foundation-list for 2014-03. Really sending it now.

as per point 1.3 of [1], here it comes a list of members in need of a
renew in case they didn't receive their individual e-mail:

First name, Last name (Last renewed on)
 * Emmanuele Bassi (2012-03-03)
 * Aaron Bockover (2012-03-20)
 * Stefano Candori (2012-03-27)
 * Xavier Claessens (2012-03-18)
 * Felipe Erias Morandeira (2012-03-06)
 * Leonardo Fontenelle (2012-04-18)
 * Jean-François Fortin Tam (2012-03-03)
 * Andres Gomez (2012-03-27)
 * Mathias Hasselmann (2012-03-17)
 * Javier Hernández Antúnez (2012-03-17)
 * Richard Hughes (2012-03-04)
 * Susanna Huhtanen (2012-03-15)
 * Eitan Isaacson (2012-04-14)
 * Christian Kirbach (2012-03-03)
 * Petr Kovář (2012-04-11)
 * Peteris Krisjanis (2012-03-11)
 * Chris Lord (2012-03-15)
 * Jiro Matsuzawa (2012-03-30)
 * Rūdolfs Mazurs (2012-03-11)
 * Michael Monreal (2012-03-07)
(Continue reading)

Picon

Memberships needing renewal (2014-04)


Hi,

as per point 1.3 of [1], here it comes a list of members in need of a
renew in case they didn't receive their individual e-mail:

First name, Last name (Last renewed on)
 * Leonardo Fontenelle (2012-04-18)
 * Eitan Isaacson (2012-04-14)
 * Petr Kovář (2012-04-11)
 * Sankarasivasubramanian P (2012-04-11)
 * Liyanaarachchi Udesh (2012-04-28)

The Renewal form can be found at [2].

Cheers,
  GNOME Membership and Elections Committee

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2011-November/msg00000.html
[2] http://www.gnome.org/foundation/membership/apply/

_______________________________________________
foundation-list mailing list
foundation-list <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-list
Marina Zhurakhinskaya | 2 Apr 16:01 2014
Picon

Flock CFP closes tomorrow

Hi,

Flock, Fedora's annual conference, will be held in Prague, Czech Republic August 6-9, 2014, which is a week
after GUADEC. The call for proposals closes tomorrow. Please consider submitting one!

Call for proposals: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.core.announce/2927
Registration, proposal submission, and current proposals: https://flock-lmacken.rhcloud.com

Thanks,
Marina
Ali/amjjawad | 3 Apr 10:28 2014
Picon

Distribution Naming System (Was: Re: Is there GNU/Linux distribution which includes always latest gnome 3)

Dear Mr. Stallman,

First of all, it is a pleasure to be with you on the same mailing list. You have my full respect!

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Arch is a variant of the GNU/Linux system, so please let's not call it
"Arch Linux".  Calling the whole system "Linux" is, in effect, giving
Torvalds credit for our work, so we get no credit for it.

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

Since Arch is a version of GNU/Linux, the right term is Arch GNU/Linux.

If we mention it, what can we say about it?  It is not a free system,
so if we mention it, we should not present it as exemplary.

See http://gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html for more explanation
about this issue.


I have done a quick search on the 'active' distributions on DistroWatch.com and only very few systems are following your logic:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?status=Active

However, I have not searched/seen this yet:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?status=All

But I guess the 'active' ones are more important than the other.

Only few are following the GNU/Linux naming logic.

I see your point here, perhaps unlike some other who might not.

There is no one who could deny what you have done nor your project. You do have our respect, no doubt about that. But, in order to end this discussion once and for all (I hope we could), what do you suggest?

I'm not sure if approaching all the communities and request a name change is good idea but it could still be one of the options.

I for one have my own project:
http://torios.org/

If truth to be told, I wasn't paying lots of attention to GNU/Linux but thanks to your emails, I will from now and on. Yes, I'm aware since I have started using Linux that it is actually GNU/Linux but I also know only few who are mentioning that.

Sadly, people for some odd reason tend to remove/ignore the important words on their emails/posts/articles, etc to save time but they're wrong IMHO. Words like "Hi" at the beginning of any email for example or "GNU" before "Linux" so it is "GNU/Linux" ... if they would know that will cost them 1 extra second to write that, I guess they might think wisely but we can't force people to do that. It should come from them directly.


Now, after reading your emails, I will start my best to never forget to mention 'GNU' whenever there is 'Linux'.

I'll be the change that I would like to see around. This is the best way.

Thank you so much for enlightening me/us. I highly appreciate that.


--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.

_______________________________________________
foundation-list mailing list
foundation-list <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-list


Have a great day!

--
Best Regards,
amjjawad
Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."

Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage
Join Ubuntu GNOME
Test Ubuntu GNOME
Contact Ubuntu GNOME
Download Ubuntu GNOME
_______________________________________________
foundation-list mailing list
foundation-list <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-list
Alexander Bubnov | 31 Mar 21:33 2014
Picon

Is there Linux distribution which includes always latest gnome 3

Hello, guys!
Do you know if there is a Linux distribution which released together with new GNOME 3. I would like to get always new stable GNOME 3 to be a cutting edge man. :-)
Now gnome 3.12 released but I do not know how to get it bundled with some official Linux distribution. For example, Ubuntu GNOME will be released very soon, in April but it is not going to include 3.12 by known reason. Because stability is one of priority for users. And I do not want to use PPA. Because using PPA makes Linux distribution work a bit unstable. :-)
I would like to get official consistent Linux distribution with new GNOME 3. Like long time Ubuntu went together with GNOME 2 as I remember.


--
/BR, Alexander
_______________________________________________
foundation-list mailing list
foundation-list <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-list
Karen Sandler | 31 Mar 17:56 2014
Picon

New challenge

Hi Foundation members,

I've posted some news on my blog.

Working as the GNOME Foundation Executive Director has been an 
incredible experience for me and GNOME has made some impressive progress 
in my time at the Foundation. I'm proud of where the GNOME community is 
and think it's time for me to hand the reins over to someone new.

Today I am announcing my new position as the Software Freedom 
Conservancy Executive Director. As many of you know, I have been 
volunteering with Conservancy for some time, having co-founded it when I 
was at SFLC.  It is an important organization where I think I can make a 
difference, and GNOME is in good hands. The current board of directors 
continues to impress me with their commitment and varied skillset and I 
know they will continue to lead the organization well.

There's a more detailed discussion of this change on my blog at 
gnomg.org but of course, I have no intention of leaving GNOME.  I plan 
to announce my candidacy for the board when the call comes out, I'll 
stay on as pro bono counsel, and of course I'll continue volunteering in 
other ways. The Conservancy has also agreed to partner with GNOME, so 
that I can help to run the Outreach Program for Women with Marina.

I'm excited for my new role and am glad I can continue to work with you 
in so many ways.

karen
Andreas Nilsson | 24 Mar 17:13 2014
Picon

Agenda for board meeting March 24th

The next board meeting is this Tuesday the 24th of March at 16:00 UTC

* Outstanding reimbursements
  * Improve the cumbersome workflow
    * After a positive response from Rosanna about travel reimbursement 
wiki page, created one for general reimbursements at 
https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Reimbursements
* Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
     * Waiting on a legal entity in France to transfer leftover money 
from GUADEC 2013
  * GNOME.Asia
   * FUDcon happening at the same time
* Privacy guide for GNOME
  * We need a guide for developers on how to treat user privacy
  * Potential future issue 
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/software/version2/wire-os-registration.png

Let us know if you have any feedback!
- Andreas
Emmanuele Bassi | 24 Mar 15:31 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of March 20th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140320

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 20th, 2014, 15:30 UTC =

== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, March 25th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Karen Sandler
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Emmanuele Bassi

=== Regrets ===

=== Missing ===
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * gnome-software privacy resolution
  * Kat reached out to maintainers by IRC
   * they understand the issue and are happy to either resolve the bug
or revert the sharing setting to "off" by default
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725912
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=726234
   * the setting was reverted

 * Outstanding reimbursements
  * LibreGraphics/GIMP
   * We have been not keeping up to speed
   * We are also getting involved with more organizations
   * The responsivity should get better when more people can access
the bank account
   * We are still cheaper than any other option, in terms of fees
   * But we need to get better
   * The workflow is still pretty cumbersome for Rosanna
    * It's all based on email
    * It's easy to get lost or overwhelmed
   * The wiki works better
    * We need to get a single page for tracking reimbursements for
organizations that we're holding money for
    * Approvals should also go on the same page
    * We need to keep a record
     * As long as it falls without our remit, we don't really need to vote on it
     * Just minute it
    * Money is tracked in the GNUcash file
    * The process on that is not really great, but there are no great
options out there
    * The board should have a person responsible
    * Either the treasurer or the secretary
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the GIMP developers for allocating
the money for the event at LGM

 * GUADEC 2015 (Italian) bid officially dropped out
  * Gotheburg is the only bid left

 * Upcoming hackfests
  * Developer Experience Hackfest
   * Location officially moved to Berlin
   * Munich was not going to be as cheap
   * New attendees: Zeeshan Ali and Alexandre Franke
   * Addendum to the budget: USD 1000 (total)
   * '''VOTE''': Add USD 1000 to the DX hackfest budget: +1 Marina,
Andreas, Joanie, Tobi; Kat and Emmanuele abstain
   * Voted on the mailing list: advance the sponsorship reimbursement for Sindhu

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Kat reached out to Liberix to transfer leftover funds from GUADEC
2013 to the 2014 organizers
  * GNOME.Asia

 * Travel committee
  * Event organizers are not happy about the new amount of work
  * We are also not great at process
   * Receipt collection
   * Tracking of reimbursements and personal details

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * Sindhu asked to get her sponsorship in advance of the DX hackfest
  * '''VOTE''': +1 from Kat, Andreas, Marina, Joanie
 * Request for funding to restock the North American Event Box

== Completed Actions ==
 * Kat will check with the Italian team to verify that they do not
plan to submit a 2015 GUADEC bid
 * Kat will reach out to gnome-software maintainers about privacy
  * Reached out by IRC: maintaners understand the issue and are happy
to either resolve the bug or revert the sharing setting to "off" by
default
  * Setting is "off" and removed from the UI until 3.14
 * Kat will email Rosanna to make the reimbursement for FOSSAsia and
check the reimburment possibility of the taxi

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen to review the agreement for the fund collection in EU
 * Kat to contact the GIMP developers for allocating the money for the
event at LGM
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Marina will follow up with Rosanna on OPW finances update
 * Kat will email the Release Team on behalf of the board to express
the board's concern regarding gnome-software
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/

Gmane