Karen Sandler | 17 May 16:14 2014
Picon

Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler

Affiliation: Software Freedom Conservancy. I'm also pro bono General 
Counsel of QuestionCopyright.Org, and an advisor of The Ada Initiative 
and sometimes help other orgs (like the FSF) on legal and other free 
software related matters.

As promised when I left the position of Executive Director, I'd like to 
throw my hat in the ring for the Board of Directors. I think I can help 
bring continuity to the board (Stormy was incredibly helpful on the 
board when I started as ED). Also, as a lawyer I sometimes have an 
additionally useful perspective. I'm still doing volunteer work for 
GNOME both as pro bono counsel and as a volunteer on nonlegal matters 
for GNOME. I've been helping with fundraising, collecting on outstanding 
invoices and generally wherever I can.

Additionally, as you all know by now, I'm a huge advocate for software 
freedom. I'd love to help GNOME continue to partner with its nonprofit 
and corporate allies as well as ensuring that the foundation is solidly 
focused on promoting freedom.

karen
Jeff Fortin | 15 May 21:42 2014
Picon

Board of Directors Election 2014 - Candidacy - Jean-Fran├žois Fortin Tam

Name: Jean-François Fortin Tam
Email: nekohayo at gmail
Affiliation: none (freelance)
Web/bio/blog/etc.: http://jeff.ecchi.ca

Hi everybody,

I would like to offer my candidacy to serve on the Foundation Board.

I have been involved in various areas of GNOME since 2004 or so, including testing, triaging, marketing, mentoring, coding, public speaking and advocacy, UI/UX design, etc. I also graduated from business & management school, so I would like to put that background to good use. I'm keeping this description short & simple (as I suspect many of you will know me); you can learn more about me at http://jeff.ecchi.ca


In GNOME's context, my areas of interest include (but are not limited to):

  • The "big picture": becoming a sustainable ecosystem for attracting developers and partners. For example, sustainable bug tracking[0][1] and the revival of a QA team; steering our focus from the initial "disruptive innovation" phase of GNOME 3.x towards also re-emphasizing the perhaps more "boring" but essential bits (a renewed effort/focus around performance and robustness); etc.
  • Organizational processes and tools. From my experience and what I have seen in previous threads (or meeting minutes) here, there probably is room for improvement in the way we handle partnerships, financial operations and policies, etc. I'm not saying I magically have all the answers, but this is something I would like to get more familiar with, evaluate and help streamline if possible.
  • Financial security: fundraising, diversification and protection against downturns. This is not only the recent events regarding the state of the Foundation's finances, but also about the "big picture". I'd like to help ensure the sustainability of GNOME as an organization.
  • Nurturing our brand.
  • Major technological shifts (such as Wayland, GTK4, systemd, you name it).

I hope to continue serving GNOME to the best of my abilities.
The board is one area where I hope to make a difference.

Thank you for your consideration,
Jean-François "Jeff" Fortin Tam

----
[0]: http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2012/10/08/reducing-our-core-apps-software-inventory/
[1]: see also my GUADEC 2013 talk
_______________________________________________
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-announce
Oliver Propst | 14 May 22:32 2014
Picon

Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Oliver Propst

Foundation Board of Directors

Name:Oliver Propst
Email: oliver.propst <at> gmail.com
Affiliation:None

Dear foundation members,

I want to announce my candidacy for the GNOME Board of Directors. I
have contributing as part of the Engagement Team since 2010, recently
I  have been involved with the GUADEC 2015 Gothenburg bid and the
Annual Report.

I think that free software never have more important then now and if
we as a community can get together and do the necessary work the
greatest future of GNOME lay ahead of us.

I have two years of experience of being on the non-for profit FSCONS
board (FSCONS, the free software conference in Gothenburg that Karen
keynoted last year). More info about me (including occupation) can be
found here [1].

In the upcoming year I like to continue explore growth/collaborations
opportunities for the foundation and investigate the benefits of a
possible WC3[2] membership.

I would also want to work for the Board to have a stronger and more
public profile (especially in light of the current situation where we
have no ED).

1  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-April/msg00116.html
2 http://www.w3.org/

--

-- 
-mvh Oliver Propst
Emmanuele Bassi | 9 May 19:09 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board Meeting of April 22nd, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140422

= Minutes for Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, May 6th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Accounting
  * Budget/accounts
   * USD 280k in invoices sent in April
   * adboard fees have been sent
    * USD 130k adboard invoiced
    * USD 20k adboard paid
   * cheques for the OPW: USD 50k
   * donations: USD 17k
    * more than what we usually get in a year
    * great response from the community
    * various >1k donations
    * new donors
    * need to write thank you letters for the donors
    * Rosanna usually adds a quick thank you notes when sending a gift
    * would be nice to have a proper thank you note
    * '''ACTION''': Andreas and Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
    * would be nice to have that note ready for the GNOME.Asia Summit
as Tobi is working with the local team to send gifts to our donors
    * how much money do we have?
     * donations will cover our running costs for 3 months
     * only one OPW payment was sent for this round; the other ones
are back payments
    * last meeting, Marina proposed that interns that OPW income for
the upcoming round is pooled to pay interns
    * after discussions off line before this meeting, they decided to
scrap the idea and pay interns only if their sponsor is in good
standing and has paid the sponsorship for the upcoming round
    * we should have a donation page on the OPW website as well
     * we used to have a donation page there but we never really promoted it
   * Friends of GNOME donations are going to require time and effort
from Zana to work on the gifts
    * it'll take some time to get through the queue
    * should we try offloading the gifts to one of our merchandise partners?
    * we did try with Stormy to get Amazon to handle tees and
stickers, but it was fairly expensive
    * we never asked one of the stores we already use for GNOME merchandise
    * '''ACTION''' (very low priority): Zana to check the inventory of
merch she has in storage
   * Bradley/Conservancy offered his time to handle OPW if the
Foundation gets overwhelmed by it
    * last resort option, but good to have a backup
    * we may need to hire somebody to handle OPW administration
    * we don't have enough resources for a hire
    * in the meantime we must engage the OPW volunteers to take
pressure off of Zana
    * current plan:
     * contracts
     * website maintainance
     * maybe help with the financial/admin side
    * Marina, Karen, and Zana did a great job in handling the OPW
administrivia, as well as hunting down status of the invoices, over
the last two weeks
    * we need to build reserves for the OPW operative expenses
     * we can use donations to build both reserves for making payments
and for operative expenses
  * Tax return
   * due date for filing: approx 3 weeks
   * bookkeeper to fill the tax return and sent it to Joanie
   * '''ACTION''': Kat and rest of the board to review the tax return
form once it's ready
  * Handling money for other organisations
   * we haven't kept good records for the agreements in a formal location
   * most of them were handled and iterated via email
   * Kat and Zana have been moving this information to a wiki page
   * we still need to find out some of the historical information for
some deals, like the one with GIMP
  * the board would like to thank Kat for the hard work in handling
the financial issues of the foundation

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Karen was drafting a contract for the local organisation that
handles the GUADEC financials
   * somebody will have to take over this task
   * '''ACTION''': Tobi to follow up with Alexandre and Karen about
the contract for the GUADEC local organisation
   * we need to start looking for sponsors
   * can we ask the OPW sponsors?
    * it'd be too ambitious to have a full OPW presence at GUADEC
    * many sponsors/interns are from the US
    * may be worth asking OPW general sponsors that are not on the adboard
   * add a new sponsorship tier for adboard that only covers GUADEC/GNOME.Asia
  * GNOME.Asia
   * the local team sent their budget
   * the Foundation approved USD 15k for general expenditures of the event
   * Google has a combined sponsorship for GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
   * there is a discrepancy between the budget advanced by GNOME and
the one provided by the GNOME.Asia organisers
    * the budgeted expense from the Foundation is USD 15k, offset by
the sponsor fees
   * we need more sponsors for GNOME.Asia
   * '''ACTION''': Tobi to follow up the GNOME.Asia budget issue with
the local organisers
  * Upcoming hackfests

 * extending the term of the next board's term
  * hand over at GUADEC
  * up to 4 board meetings (June and July) overlap between the old and new board
  * may be better to extend the next board's term by one month
  * more discussion on the mailing list, until the end of this week

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed Actions ==
 * Marina will follow up with Rosanna on OPW finances
 * Karen will review the agreement for collecting funds in Europe
(obsolete, being done by the board now)

== Pending action items ==
 * Board will review the agreement for collecting funds in Europe
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
 * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage
 * Kat and board to review the tax return form
 * Tobi to follow up with Alexandre and Karen about the contract for
the GUADEC local organisation
 * Tobi to follow up the GNOME.Asia budget issue with the local organisers
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Andrea Veri | 6 May 21:48 2014
Picon

Announcing Board of Directors Elections 2014

Dear Foundation Members,

The GNOME Foundation Membership and Elections Committee are pleased to 
announce the upcoming elections for the Board of Directors in Spring 
2014.

The most important deadlines (UTC) in the timeline are the following:

                          *GNOME Board Elections 2014*
		2014-05-06: List of candidates opens.
		2014-05-18: Last day to announce candidacies, submit summary statements.
		2014-05-21: Final list of candidates.
		2014-05-25: Instructions mailed to eligible voters, voting begins.
		2014-06-08: Voting closes.
		2014-06-10: Preliminary results are announced.
		2014-06-17: Last day to challenge preliminary results.

ELECTIONS
=========

The seven members of our current Board of Directors have been ruling 
GNOME for 12 months now. We, the GNOME Foundation Members, will have 
to elect what will be the Board of Directors for the next year.

CANDIDACY
=========

If you want to run for one of the seven positions on The GNOME 
Foundation Board of Directors, then send an email to 
foundation-announce gnome org and elections gnome org with your full
name, e-mail, corporate affiliation (if any), and your reasons for 
wanting to serve as a director.

Candidacies must be announced prior to 2014-05-18, 23:59 UTC.

All discussion related to the elections should be held on 
foundation-list. Members are invited to ask questions to one or all 
candidates on that list (see below).

A list of candidates will be announced on 2014-05-21.

At this point, you are invited to ask the candidates questions by 
sending them to foundation-list. These candidates might become your 
representative, so do not hesitate to ask them questions.

Please try to avoid asking duplicate questions that others have 
already asked. Also, bear in mind that the candidates invest a lot of 
time answering questions, so please be reasonable with the amount and 
scope of the questions. You can also send your questions to 
membership-committee gnome org instead, so that the committee can 
collect, sift and sort the questions before sending them to 
foundation-list for the candidates to respond. Though, if you prefer 
to ask your questions directly, please do so.

ELECTORATE
==========

Every GNOME Foundation member whose membership is valid as of 
2014-05-21 is eligible to vote in the elections. Please note that 
Emeritus members won't have voting rights. More details about what 
Emeritus members can and can't do are available at 
https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee/EmeritusMembers.

If you are not a member yet, please consider applying for membership 
ASAP. Late applications will most likely not be processed in time.

The GNOME Foundation Membership and Elections Committee do inform 
members they need to renew by mailing them once a month both on their 
personal e-mail and on the foundation-list mailing list. We recommend 
that members to also double check this to avoid a missed opportunity 
to vote. Please verify that the email address that is associated with 
your GNOME Foundation membership is valid and that you are able to 
read emails sent to this address.

You can verify your membership status by visiting 
http://foundation.gnome.org/membership and looking for your name, 
surname on the list of members. You can also verify your last renewal 
date by highlighting your name, surname with your mouse and waiting a 
little second for the date to appear correctly.

VOTING
======

The Electorate will receive complete instructions on how to vote by 
2014-05-25 via email.

The 7 candidates who receive the most votes as counted by a single 
transferable vote system (Scottish STV) will be elected, except that 
no more than two individuals affiliated with any one corporation may 
be elected.

In the event of a tie for the final slot on the board, the Elections 
Committee will schedule run-off elections as soon as possible.

---

More information about The GNOME Foundation Membership Committee and 
the voting process can be found here:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee
  https://vote.gnome.org

--

-- 

Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee Chairman

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av
_______________________________________________
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce <at> gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-announce
Emmanuele Bassi | 25 Apr 17:14 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of March 25th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140325

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 25th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, April 8th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Rosanna Yuen

=== Regrets ===
 * Karen Sandler

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Outstanding reimbursements
  * Improve the cumbersome workflow
   * After a positive response from Rosanna about travel reimbursement
wiki page, created one for general reimbursements.

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Waiting on a legal entity in France to transfer leftover money
from GUADEC 2013
   * Call for Proposals is ready and waiting for the website
   * Website and registration
    * Optional gender and background (ethnicity/race and country of residence)
  * GNOME.Asia
   * FUDcon happening at the same time

 * Privacy guide for GNOME
  * Discussion has started on foundation-list
  * We need a guide for developers on how to treat user privacy
  * Available on the wiki and/or gnome.org website
  * General question of user data collection
  * Similar issues likely to come up on the future
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/software/version2/wire-os-registration.png
  * Not super-urgent, but needs to happen before 3.14
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review

 * Update on fund collection in Europe
  * Karen is travelling, we'll ask her for an update via email

 * Post ED plans
  * We should ask Stormy for potential candidates
  * We need to ensure a proper transition of Karen's contacts from her
to the board
  * Karen can join the interview process as part of legal counsel past
her role of ED

 * Diego could not get a visa for the West Coast Hackfest
  * Should we reimburse his visa fees
  * '''VOTE''': Reimburse USD 160 of visa costs for Diego: -1 Andreas,
Kat; +1 Sri, Tobi, Marina, Emmanuele; Joanie abstains
  * We should discuss to amend our policy for reimbursements for visa
costs in the future

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed Actions ==
 * Kat to contact the GIMP developers for allocating the money for the
event at LGM
 * Kat will email the Release Team on behalf of the board to express
the board's concern regarding gnome-software (no longer relevant, does
not need completion)

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review during the
next meeting
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen and Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Karen will review the agreement for collecting funds in Europe
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Marina will follow up with Rosanna on OPW fincances

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Emmanuele Bassi | 25 Apr 17:15 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of April 8th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140408

= Minutes for Tuesday, April 8th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson (left early)
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen

=== Regrets ===

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Budget
  * We have a budget
   * 2013 has been updated
   * 2014 has been finalised
  * OPW project has grown a lot. This is great!
  * However, we are taking a  greater financial risk handling the
money between the organizations and the interns.
  * It also makes it a bigger work burden and we need to  discuss how
to handle this.
  * The risk is present if we start paying out the OPW interns before
we get funding for from sponsors.
  * We cannot entirely rely on getting paid in a timely manner from
every sponsor.
  * We currently expect 45 interns for the summer internship round.
   * For each we allocate USD 6250
  * Overhead of the OPW for the Foundation
   * USD ~6000 in bank fees
   * 3 to 4 months of Rosanna time
  * Given the growth of the OPW we may have to have somebody working
on it in place of Rosanna
   * It is digging into her time for the Foundation's needs
  * Plan of action
   * We need to delay payment until we have the sponsorship fees paid
   * Sponsors may allocate money in budgets that do not match OPW timelines
   * We should expect to have funds from most sponsors after May
   * The first payment of USD 500 per intern is scheduled for May 22nd
   * Other risk: we don't have a contract with the sponsors
    * Safety for the Foundation
   * Chances of getting paid before paying the interns
    * The timelines don't really match
    * We need to get the interns first
    * After we have the interns we can get sponsorship
    * The time between the interns are approved and the start of the
program is too small to get funds
   * We are using our funds to cover the OPW
   * We went into the red in our cash reserves
    * We are still holding GIMP, GStreamer, and Pitivi reserves
    * The reason we are in the red is because of OPW intern payments
without getting all invoices paid
    * Also most adboard member fees for 2014 have not been paid yet
    * We have various outstanding invoices
     * About USD 400,000
     * Many are old and not going to be recouped
     * OPW invoices should get paid
    * We have outstanding requests from Pitivi
     * We need to track all the payments in the PayPal account
   * Recommendations from the treasurer
    * All payments would touch the reserved amount for GIMP,
GStreamer, and Pitivi at this point in time
    * Freeze all event payments
     * Including the ones planned/in progress
     * Delayed by a few months
    * Do not send OPW payments out until OPW is in the black
     * We should invoice sponsors in April
     * For general sponsors, we should invoice them now
     * Set up invoicing for new companies now, delegate to the board
and OPW organisers
     * Invoice OPW sponsors and adboard fees
     * Try to cover the first OPW payment as soon as possible
   * The OPW process has been too heavy on Rosanna
    * Invoicing and keeping track of companies
    * It has grown so much and so quickly that Rosanna has had little
time to adapt to the workload
    * Can we split the responsibility?
     * Karen used to handle chasing the sponsors
     * Having a replacement for that role would help
   * By the next meeting we should have a better picture of the state
of our finances and of the invoices
   * We have outstanding expenses
    * Accessibility contract (Igalia; we expect an invoice soon)
    * Hackfest, GNOME.Asia travel sponsorship
    * Total: USD 60,000
    * We are going to prioritize paying these expenses as soon as
funding is available
   * We should send out the invoices for the advisory board fees
    * Estimated: USD 110,000
    * Need to refresh the list of adboard contacts
    * '''ACTION''': Andreas to update the list of adboard contacts on
the wiki and pass it on to Rosanna
   * Should we split up the accounts for different uses?
    * We still need to pay the account fees
    * We will need to revisit this in the near future
  * '''VOTE''': Freeze the whole budget of the foundation until
funding is available: -1 Marina, Joanie, Tobi, Emmanuele; +1 Kat, Sri
  * '''VOTE''': Freeze the budget of the foundation except running
expenses: +1 Kat, Joanie, Marina, Sri, Emmanuele; -1 Tobi
   * '''ACTION''': Kat to notify all involved parties for the freeze
of the Foundation budget
   * '''ACTION''': Kat, Sri to draft a notification to the foundation
about the current financial situation
  * '''VOTE''': Make first $500 payments for summer 2014 OPW interns
from aggregate paid summer 2014 invoices for whom money are coming
from sponsors that are not past due for prior round invoices: +1
Marina, Sri, Joanie, Tobi, Emmanuele; -1 Kat
   * This will avoid the situation of interns from some of the
organizations that budgeted money in the summer not being paid.
Aggregate means that the money coming in from all OPW sponsors will be
considered as part of a total OPW pot of money.
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to inform all sponsors of the result of the
vote on the first OPW round of payments and that their payments may be
used to pay interns from other organisations

 * Can we take a tax exempt donation from C&C for the west coast
hackfest (to go towards an evening event)?
  * Yes, we can
  * The Foundation is a 501(c)3 non profit
  * US company
  * USD 2500-5000 we send a thank you letter
  * Under USD 2500 we don't need to send any thanks
  * '''ACTION''': Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the
donation for the West Coast hackfest

 * Andrea asked if we can approach the advisory board for help with
upgrading our Bugzilla instance.
  * We need someone who is proficient at perl to work on it.
  * Andrea is not going to be able to work on this
  * We should ask our adboard if they can donate some employee time or funds
  * Possibly even a sponsored hackfest
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send an email to the adboard list about
possible funding for the Bugzilla upgrade

 * Updating certificates for gnome.org
  * OpenSSL bug
  * Andrea needs to update our certs
  * USD 124.5
  * Running expense
  * '''VOTE''': Authorise expense of USD 124.5 for updating the
gnome.org certificates after OpenSSL bug: unanimous.

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Call for papers has gone out
   * Google has committed to sponsoring GUADEC and GNOME.Asia
   * Alexandre is expecting EUR 30,000 in corporate sponsorship
   * We should ask for government sponsorship
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Travel sponsorship request processed (thank you Emily and Max)
   * Emily coordinated well with FUDCON organisers to be sure to share
costs for shared attendees
  * DX Hackfest
  * GeoLocation Hackfest
   * May/June
   * We should be able to share sponsorship
   * Whether or not we can sponsor the hackfest depends on our budget
  * Docs hackfest  <at>  OpenHelp
   * Usual budget is USD 5000
   * Same as above, we need to fix the Foundation's budget first

 * License grant (trademark) to use the GNOME Foot for worldofgnome.org
  * We were asked to license the use of a modified GNOME Foot logo for
worldofgnome.org
  * We should run this through Karen first
  * https://mail.gnome.org/archives/engagement-list/2014-March/msg00080.html

 * Budget requests:
  * Travel sponsorship for 2 attendees to go to 15th FISL (867 USD)
  * Travel sponsorship for LGM for two attendees.
  * Blocked, pending decision on the budget
  * Even if we vote in two weeks, it's going to be too late/too
expensive at the time
  * The opinion of the treasurer is that we cannot have more expenses
at this point
  * Kat will work on this as part of the notification of the financial situation

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed Actions ==

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review during the
next meeting
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen and Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Karen will review the agreement for collecting funds in Europe
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Marina will follow up with Rosanna on OPW finances

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Emmanuele Bassi | 2 Apr 21:36 2014
Picon

The GUADEC 2014 Call for Presentations is now open

# GUADEC 2014 Call for Presentations

GUADEC is the annual conference of the GNOME community, held in Europe
since 2000. GNOME is a free software project which drives user
interfaces of many GNU/Linux-powered devices, ranging from smartphones
to laptops and personal media centers. GUADEC is the world's largest
gathering of users and developers who are involved with the free
desktop and mobile user interfaces. GUADEC is expected to draw
hundreds of attendees who will discuss and direct the future of the
GNOME project. Developers, artists, translators, users, and
representatives from government, education, and businesses, and anyone
else who shares an interest are welcome.

GUADEC 2014 will be held in Strasbourg, France. The conference will be
held between July 26th and August 1st; the first four days are the
core conference days, and afterwards there'll
be extra days for hackfests and BoF sessions.

The schedule of the conference mirrors the ongoing development of the
GNOME project:

  * Design of the core user experience (core applications, shell, tool kit)
  * Design of the developer experience (tools, documentation, services)
  * Integration and extension of the operating system plumbings into the core UX
  * Application development and deployment
  * Integration of web technologies into the GNOME user experience
  * Improving the user experience on different form factors
  * Improvide the documentation of the user experience and the applications
  * Outreach to new contributors
  * Organization and governance of the project

Submissions that do not fit into these categories are also welcome,
provided that they are relevant or inspirational to the GNOME
community.

The Call for Participation for GUADEC 2014 has the following timeline:

 1. Sunday, May 4th: Deadline for submission of abstracts
 2. Sunday, May 11th: Notification of speakers and presentation of the
conference schedule
 3. July 26th to August 1st: The conference takes place in Strasbourg, France

Please submit your proposals before the May 4th deadline through the
online submission system on the GUADEC website at
https://www.guadec.org. Note that the website registration will be
soon available. Presentations will be reviewed by the program
committee between the 28th of April and 5th of May, and the selected
speakers will be contacted after May 5th.

A separate call for lightning talks will be issued in May. If you are
interested in organizing a workshop session, BoF or project room
during the second part of GUADEC, please wait until the relevant call
for participation is made. If you are unsure whether you should
propose a regular talk or a BoF, feel free to contact the program
committee.

The program committee is looking forward to your submissions to
participate in GUADEC 2014 and contributing to turn the event into a
large success.

If you have questions regarding the schedule of the conference, or the
Call for Participation, please do not hesitate to contact the program
committee at: guadec-papers <at> gnome.org.

For general questions regarding the conference, please consult the
GUADEC web site or contact the local GUADEC organizing team at:
guadec-list <at> gnome.org.

on behalf of the program committee,
 Emmanuele.

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Emmanuele Bassi | 24 Mar 15:31 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of March 20th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140320

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 20th, 2014, 15:30 UTC =

== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, March 25th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Karen Sandler
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Emmanuele Bassi

=== Regrets ===

=== Missing ===
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * gnome-software privacy resolution
  * Kat reached out to maintainers by IRC
   * they understand the issue and are happy to either resolve the bug
or revert the sharing setting to "off" by default
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725912
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=726234
   * the setting was reverted

 * Outstanding reimbursements
  * LibreGraphics/GIMP
   * We have been not keeping up to speed
   * We are also getting involved with more organizations
   * The responsivity should get better when more people can access
the bank account
   * We are still cheaper than any other option, in terms of fees
   * But we need to get better
   * The workflow is still pretty cumbersome for Rosanna
    * It's all based on email
    * It's easy to get lost or overwhelmed
   * The wiki works better
    * We need to get a single page for tracking reimbursements for
organizations that we're holding money for
    * Approvals should also go on the same page
    * We need to keep a record
     * As long as it falls without our remit, we don't really need to vote on it
     * Just minute it
    * Money is tracked in the GNUcash file
    * The process on that is not really great, but there are no great
options out there
    * The board should have a person responsible
    * Either the treasurer or the secretary
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the GIMP developers for allocating
the money for the event at LGM

 * GUADEC 2015 (Italian) bid officially dropped out
  * Gotheburg is the only bid left

 * Upcoming hackfests
  * Developer Experience Hackfest
   * Location officially moved to Berlin
   * Munich was not going to be as cheap
   * New attendees: Zeeshan Ali and Alexandre Franke
   * Addendum to the budget: USD 1000 (total)
   * '''VOTE''': Add USD 1000 to the DX hackfest budget: +1 Marina,
Andreas, Joanie, Tobi; Kat and Emmanuele abstain
   * Voted on the mailing list: advance the sponsorship reimbursement for Sindhu

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Kat reached out to Liberix to transfer leftover funds from GUADEC
2013 to the 2014 organizers
  * GNOME.Asia

 * Travel committee
  * Event organizers are not happy about the new amount of work
  * We are also not great at process
   * Receipt collection
   * Tracking of reimbursements and personal details

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * Sindhu asked to get her sponsorship in advance of the DX hackfest
  * '''VOTE''': +1 from Kat, Andreas, Marina, Joanie
 * Request for funding to restock the North American Event Box

== Completed Actions ==
 * Kat will check with the Italian team to verify that they do not
plan to submit a 2015 GUADEC bid
 * Kat will reach out to gnome-software maintainers about privacy
  * Reached out by IRC: maintaners understand the issue and are happy
to either resolve the bug or revert the sharing setting to "off" by
default
  * Setting is "off" and removed from the UI until 3.14
 * Kat will email Rosanna to make the reimbursement for FOSSAsia and
check the reimburment possibility of the taxi

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen to review the agreement for the fund collection in EU
 * Kat to contact the GIMP developers for allocating the money for the
event at LGM
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Marina will follow up with Rosanna on OPW finances update
 * Kat will email the Release Team on behalf of the board to express
the board's concern regarding gnome-software
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Emmanuele Bassi | 24 Mar 12:50 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board Meeting of March 11th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140311

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 11th, 2014, 17:00 UTC =
== Next Meeting ==
 * Tuesday, March 20th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova

=== Regrets ===
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Karen Sandler
 * Rosanna Yuen

== Board Meeting Agenda ==
 * Privacy issues regarding GNOME Software statistics reporting
  * The GNOME Software statistics configuration moved to GNOME Control Center
  * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725912
  * The change to send usage stats to distros by default was intentional
  * Bastien suggested this be explicitly asked/presented to users in
GNOME Initial Setup
  * No further action seems to have taken place
  * Will it be done in time for 3.12?
  * GNOME Software has a policy about how the data will be used:
    * [[https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/tree/doc/privacy-policy.html]]
    * But the data collection is not done by GNOME; it is done by distros.
  * Karen was consulted in #board since she is not able to attend
today's meeting
   * She would want to get Bastien's solution in for 3.12
   * Failing that, we should put something in the release notes
  * Conclusions:
   * Users should opt-in
   * Distros should provide their policy privacy to the user
   * Ask the Release Team if we can block against this being added in
GNOME Initial Setup
   * '''ACTION''': Kat will reach out to gnome-software maintainers
   * '''ACTION''': Kat will email the Release Team
   * '''ACTION''': Karen will look at these issues from a legal standpoint
 * SXSW (South by South-West) travel report from Sri
  * Sri and Karen attended
  * Karen had a talk on Friday. While most of the sessions at SXSW
seem to be not very well attended, there was a good amount of press
coming out of it, including an article in Le Monde, in addition to the
SXSW blogpost leading up to it with a very broad readership.
   * Advertised the talk via social media
   * Interest in OPW; another related to the medical field
   * had a GNOME event but it could be organized better, we need to
organize the event well in advance and use multiple ways of
advertising it, including posters and eventbrite.
   * Got a couple of new potential volunteers, and some interest in
the west coast hackfest
   * Promotion of OPW by EFF, Rackspace, and Wordpress. Karen has
several new fundraising leads for OPW.
  * Most people Sri spoke with knew what GNOME was, Free Software, etc.
  * Sri gave an interview that has since appeared in a blog post
   * [[http://evolver.fm/2014/03/08/sxsw-pitivi-aims-to-bring-real-video-editing-to-linux/]]
  * Karen's articles are:
   * [[http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/article/2014/03/08/et-si-les-implants-medicaux-etaient-sous-licence-libre_4379783_651865.html]]
   * [[http://southxmrm.tumblr.com/post/78924379894/today-i-had-a-chance-to-meet-with-the-incredible]]
  * Karen also did a couple of other interviews, including one on
about the remote session with Snowden where usability of free software
was directly discussed.
  * In general, they think it was a really good experience
  * Difference: We are not preaching to a choir at SXSW, but people
are quite savvy
  * Somewhat expensive conference. We need to partner with others like
FSF, KDE, and others. Free Software tent? Karen has talked with people
at a few other companies and orgs about having a free and open
pavilion
  * If done again: Plan the event further ahead of time and promote it
in fliers distributed around the venue. Maybe a team of people,
perhaps rent a house to save money
 * Outstanding reimbursements
  * Reimbursement of sponsorship for FOSSASIA 2014
   * Kat reviewed the receipts. Only the taxi receipts appear to be missing.
   * '''ACTION''': Kat will email Rosanna to make the payment and
check the reimburment possibility of the taxi.
  * Doc hackfest not yet submitted, but should be done by the end of today
 * Financial follow up on OPW
  * '''ACTION''': Marina will follow up with Rosanna
 * GUADEC 2015 bids and deadlines
  * Oliver Propst submitted a bid on behalf of the Gothenburg GUADEC
2015 organizing committee to both the Board list and the Foundation
Announce list
  * https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2014-March/msg00007.html
  * This is the only bid received thus far
  * Should we make another announcement, set a deadline, etc.?
  * '''ACTION''': Kat will check with the Italian team to verify that
they do not plan to submit a bid
 * Upcoming hackfests
  * Developer Experience Hackfest
   * Allan has invited David King to join the hackfest ~$350 for
travel + ~270 for accommodations
   * '''VOTE''': Andreas, Sri, Tobi, Joanie, Marina: +1; Kat abstains
   * Venue and date not secured
    * The original venue was not available for the date chosen
    * Options: Change the date and/or the venue
    * May have associated cost changes
  * There might be a French translation hackfest proposal coming soon

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014 - no updates; updates expected after the release

 * Update on fund collection in Europe
  * '''ACTION''': Karen will review the agreement

 * Next meeting
  * Tuesday, March 20th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed Actions ==

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
  * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen and Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure

--

-- 
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/
Ekaterina Gerasimova | 14 Mar 12:38 2014
Picon

Update to travel sponsorship policy

The Travel Committee have traditionally had a policy that local travel
was not reimbursed unless explicitly agreed beforehand. The policy was
not explicitly mentioned anywhere, so I have updated the wiki to make
it more clear: https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel#Travel.2BAC8-Policy.Travel_policy

This applies to large events which are handled by the Travel Committee
and to small events which are handled by the Foundation board.

Gmane