Andrea Veri | 15 Dec 18:51 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board Meeting of December, 05th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, December 05th, 2014, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting due on December 19th, 2014 at 17:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Andrea Veri
 * Sriram Ramkrishna 
 * Karen Sandler

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==
 * Tobias Mueller

== Board meeting ==

 * Sysadmin contract renewal: $4.6K remaining. Fundraise, till-the-funds-end contract renewal, or
assign new general funds?
    * Andrea: we have a lot of infrastructure needs; before I joined the infrastructure was in a lot of need
    * current contract 80 hours a month; there were many times when Andrea worked more hours, but coul not bill
for them
    * logs (from rdiff-backup) together with logwatch excerpts are being checked every day to keep
consistency between machines
    * if there are no new projects 80 hours a month is generally sufficient
    * maintain relationship with other projects, such as Fedora that hosts our backups, GTK and GIMP that now
rely on our infrastructure for all their needs/services
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 20 Nov 20:18 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board Meeting of November, 14th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, November 14th, 2014, 17:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Andrea Veri
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Karen Sandler
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==
  * Groupon
    * The board discussed the Groupon trademark situation and plans moving forward. The board agreed that they
will make as much information available as is consistent with legal counsel once the matter is resolved.

  * Deferred until further mailing list discussion occurs from other board members (or missing info): 
    * Emma Stamm's proposal for a research project around nonprofit management
    * GNOME Privacy project (what to do with the remaining funds)
      * Hackfests?
    * NDA for sysadmins (for the privacy policy)
    * Karen's GUADEC 2014 travel expenses reimbursement

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

(Continue reading)

Tobias Mueller | 11 Nov 09:59 2014
Picon

GNOME starts campaign to protect its trademarks

GNOME has launched a campaign¹ to raise funds for protecting the GNOME trademarks.

Recently, Groupon launched Gnome², a tablet-based point of sale (POS) system that 
Groupon describes as a “platform” and an “operating system”.

The GNOME Foundation is concerned and sees their long-established mark for Free 
Software, GNOME, endangered. The GNOME Foundation asks for ideological and 
monetary support to cover the costs of opposing the marks Groupon applied to 
register, which were estimated to be around 80,000 USD.

“I cannot believe Groupon was not aware of GNOME, the Free Software desktop 
environment and application suite, when it chose the name. Especially as they 
claim to be ‘fueled by open source‘³,” said Tobias Mueller, one of the directors 
of the GNOME Foundation.

“We will not give up and fight their use of our name which we have established 
over the last 17 years to provide users all over the world with high quality 
Free Software solutions.”

“Millions of people who use GNU/Linux based systems use GNOME or GNOME-related 
technologies, such as GLib or GTK+. We must not let a billion-dollar-company 
take the well-established name of one of the biggest Free Software communities,” 
Tobias added. “If you want to help GNOME defend its trademark and promote Free 
Software, visit the campaign’s page¹, share the link, and let Groupon know that 
they behaved terribly”.

GNOME also made a press contact⁴ available for further questions or interviews.

1: http://www.gnome.org/groupon/ 
2: http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707 
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 7 Nov 12:52 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of October 31th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, October 31th, 2014, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting due on November 14th, 2014 at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Andrea Veri
 * Sriram Ramkrishna 

== Regrets ==
 * Karen Sandler

== Missing ==
 * Tobias Mueller

== Board meeting ==

 * Adam Reviczky's GNOME volunteer work reference
  * Marina asked for some links as proof of Adam's contributions in the past (he stated that he started
contributing way back in 2001)
  * Adam is a Foundation member since 14th January, 2010
  * The Board acks to provide Adam with a response about his past contributions on the GNOME Foundation
  * ACTION: Kat to reply to Jan (from hireright.com) with the e-mail she drafted on the list

 * Groupon

 * NDA for sysadmins (for the privacy policy)
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 21 Oct 12:54 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of October 10th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, October 10th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting due on October 24th, 2014 at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Karen Sandler
 * Andrea Veri
 * Sriram Ramkrishna 

== Missing ==
 * Tobias Mueller

== Board meeting ==

Congratulations to the GNOME Community for releasing GNOME 3.14 and 
the board thanks the community for all of their hard work. 

 * Groupon

 * Thank you for a Philanthropist-level "Friends of GNOME" donation from Edward Swartz
   * Get as many signatures from boardees and hackers in the GNOME meetup in San Francisco in two weeks
   * Idea: do a few with board member signatures proactively at GUADEC
   * ACTION: Sri to email him to thank, say we're getting a gift together, ask about reasons motivating his
great donation? And verify his mailing address.

 * Vote on applying the GUADEC 2014 code of conduct to the GNOME Summit 2014
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 5 Oct 22:28 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of September 26th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, September 26th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting is on Friday, October 10th, 2014, at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Karen Sandler
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Andrea Veri

== Regrets ==
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==
 * Groupon

 * Bountysource account for the Foundation
   * Created; claiming of bounties in process, need to use personal account to receive bounty in order to
repost it to GNOME team

 * Boston summit travel sponsorship
  * Are we going to provide travel sponsorship for the Boston Summit? How many people are going to request
sponsorship for the event as the Boston Summit is known to be a little event in terms of participants?
  * Kat proposed to let possible participants query the Travel Committee for travel sponsorship in case they
intend to participate to the event. This to happen as soon as possible given Boston Summit is due within a
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 19 Sep 12:36 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of September 12th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, September 12th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting Friday, September 26th 2014, 16:00 UTC.

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Karen Sandler
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==
 * Andrea Veri

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Bountysource account for the Foundation? (see "Bounties for GNOME/GTK" thread)
   * Waiting for contact information from Sri to get in touch with Elementary folks

 * Funding for GNOME interns in OPW
  * Request for $6000 from GNOME general funds for a GNOME OPW intern
  * Would be good to have a decision today (2014-09-12)
  * Treasurer recommends against voting before an updated financial report
  * Proposal to use Privacy campaign for a GNOME privacy OPW intern

 * Deferred until further mailing list discussion occurs from other board members or missing info:
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 14 Sep 23:42 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of August 29th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, August 29th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya (joined late)
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Karen Sandler
 * Andrea Veri
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Rosanna's proposed job description
  * Kat had a chat with Rosanna about her new responsibilities.
   * Rosanna confirmed she's ready and willing to do her best to achieve all the proposed items on the job
description she proposed
  * The only practical changes would be Rosanna being able to sign paperwork without having to poke the Board
every time for signatures
   * This will help speeding up Foundation's administration
  * VOTE: To accept the draft job description as proposed by Rosanna and with Marina's addition by email: +1
Jeff, Karen, Kat, Sri, Andrea
   * Proposed text and approved text: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/RosannaYuenJobDescription

 * Groupon
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 26 Aug 22:20 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of August 15th, 2014

= Minutes for Tuesday, August 15th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Karen Sandler

== Regrets ==
 * Andrea Veri

== Board meeting ==
 * Groupon
 * Final wording checks for updated Travel Policy
  * Discussed, approved with minor changes.
  * ACTION: Marina to update travel policy
 * Outstanding brand use requests
  * need someone to take action/mail Carol Hanson re: "Permission request for Personal use of Gnome foot"
    * ACTION: Jeff to reply to her
  * Julio Cesar Caraça's mail sent to licensing <at>  on 7 Jul 2014 20:05:14 -0700, titled: "Sharing an idea..."
 * Review "pending action" items from previous minutes, reassign old action items to new board members

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * GNOME and GitCafe cooperation
  * Setting up a mirror of git.gnome.org as a first step
  * Brainstorm for more ideas to improve our cooperation
 * GNOME PERU FEST 2014 reimbursement
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 12 Aug 19:56 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board Meeting of July 30th, 2014

= Minutes for Wednesday, July 30th, 2014, 10:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==

 * Friday, August 15th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Andrea Veri
 * Karen Sandler

=== Regrets ===

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Job opportunities perks discussion for adboard members
  * Post job opportunities coming from adboard members on social networks (on mission, GNOME related jobs
with strong free software component)
  * Discuss job opportunities on engagement-private

 * Rosanna's title:
  * In the absence of an Executive Director, there are documents that need to be signed on behalf of the
organization for which it is inconvenient to have a board member sign. For example, at least one of those
(Continue reading)

Andrea Veri | 5 Aug 14:53 2014
Picon

Minutes of the Board meeting of July 25th, 2014

= Minutes for Tuesday, July 25th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==

 * Wednesday, July 30th, 2014 at 09:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller 
 * Emmanuele Bassi (outgoing board)
 * Andreas Nilsson (outgoing board)
 * Andrea Veri (afternoon)

=== Regrets ===
 * Karen Sandler
 * Joanmarie Diggs (outgoing board)

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Documenting our board decisions/measures wrt finances
  * Documented on the wiki: if a budget is 4 weeks late, expenses should be frozen; non-essential spending is
currently frozen, although some exceptions have been made

 * Financial plans and ideas for the remainder of 2014 and til Q2 2015
(Continue reading)


Gmane