GDM2 2.18.1 (stable), the "Yisi" Release
Brian Cameron <Brian.Cameron <at> Sun.COM>
2007-04-09 07:19:34 GMT
If you have no clue what GDM is, refer to the documentation links
at the bottom of this announcement.
The 2.18.1 release is a stable release of the GNOME Display Manager
(GDM) program with the following bug fixes and improvements:
- The GDM configuration option daemon/PidFile is now deprecated and
GDM now always uses /var/run/gdm.pid. The location can be configured
at compile time with the configure --with-pid-file option. This
fixes bug #162849. (William Jon McCann)
- Now GDM supports Xephyr as the Nested Xserver command. GDM will use
Xephyr by default if it is on the system, and fallback to Xnest.
Xephyr works much better than Xnest. (Brian Cameron)
- GDM application desktop files now use the correct categories, so the
menu choices should appear in the correct place in the menu. (Brian
- Remove the userlist from the circles and happygnome themes since this
was causing problems for some users. This change will go into 2.20
where we are fixing the problem better by fixing gdmsetup to support
setting the configuration so that gdmlogin and gdmgreeter work the
same way with the Browser key.
- Now gdmgreeter has an ATK label for the entry field. (David Zeuthen)
- Fix check so language combo style works. Fixes bug #423063. (Simon)
- Now "Configure GDM" menu choice is not available when accessibility is
turned on since running gdmsetup in this configuration causes GDM to
hang. Until the hanging bug is fixed, it's better to not allow the
user to get into this situation. (Brian Cameron)
- Now support XnestUnscaledFontPath configuration option, which allows
GDM to work with Xnest. Xorg 7.2 XGetFontPath function now returns
fontpath with the ":unscaled" prefix, which Xsun Xnest cannot handle.
Setting XnestUnscaledFontPath=false, will strip the ":unscaled" prefix
from the fontpath so that it can work. (Brian Cameron)
- GDM daemon no longer links with D-Bus if ConsoleKit is not enabled.
(William Jon McCann)
- Translation updates (Takeshi AIHANA, Jakub Friedl, Leonardo Ferreira
Fontenelle, Pema Geyleg, Priit Laes, Kjartan Maraas, Inaki Larranaga
Murgoitio, Kostas Papadimas, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro, Hendrik Richter,
Changwoo Ryu, Claudio Saavedra)
Note: GDM2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp <at> mkp.net>.
Much work has been done on GDM2 by George Lebl; and Brian Cameron
now currently shares maintainership duties with the Queen of England.
Note2: If installing from the tarball do note that make install
overwrites most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf. It will
however save backups with the .orig extension first.
Note3: Note3 has been depracated ...
#endif /* GDM_DISABLE_DEPRECATED */
Online Documentation - http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/
Latest Stable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.18/
Latest Unstable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.17/