padraig o'briain | 2 Dec 12:13 2003
Picon

Localized Role names

Bill,

I have appended a patch to bug #128343 to fix build issues with JABG after recent API additions to AT-SPI.

I have a concern about the localized name for the role. I assume that this localized name should be the same
for GTK and Java applications. It seems to me that the best way to achieve this is for AT-SPI to get same
"English" name for the role from Java or GTK and do the translation in AT-SPI instead of in ATK and Java.

Padraig
Bill Haneman | 2 Dec 12:16 2003
Picon

Re: Localized Role names

padraig o'briain wrote:

>Bill,
>
>I have appended a patch to bug #128343 to fix build issues with JABG after recent API additions to AT-SPI.
>
>I have a concern about the localized name for the role. I assume that this localized name should be the same
for GTK and Java applications. It seems to me that the best way to achieve this is for AT-SPI to get same
"English" name for the role from Java or GTK and do the translation in AT-SPI instead of in ATK and Java.
>
This would be contrary to the current API - particularly since Java 
'always' localizes role names.  I also don't see how this can work with 
the (proposed) mechanism for registering new role names (with both a 
non-localized and localized string).  I think we need 
atk_role_register_localized (gchar *name, gchar *localized_name);

I do not believe that it is critical for the translations (e.g. 
localized role names) in Java and ATK to be identical (though of course 
one would prefer that they be the same).

- Bill

>
>Padraig
>  
>
padraig o'briain | 2 Dec 12:57 2003
Picon

Re: Localized Role names

Bill Haneman wrote:
> 
> padraig o'briain wrote:
> 
> >Bill,
> >
> >I have appended a patch to bug #128343 to fix build issues with JABG after recent API additions to AT-SPI.
> >
> >I have a concern about the localized name for the role. I assume that this localized name should be the same
for GTK and Java applications. It seems to me that the best way to achieve this is for AT-SPI to get same
"English" name for the role from Java or GTK and do the translation in AT-SPI instead of in ATK and Java.
> >
> This would be contrary to the current API - particularly since Java
> 'always' localizes role names.  I also don't see how this can work with
> the (proposed) mechanism for registering new role names (with both a
> non-localized and localized string).  I think we need
> atk_role_register_localized (gchar *name, gchar *localized_name);
> 

Java allows you to get the English name for a role. 
role.toDisplayString(java.util.Locale.US);

The JABG currently returns a role of "application". As this role does not exist in Java it looks like the JABG
will need to figure out how to localize this. As far as I know this is currently the only string in the JABG
which needs to be localized.

> I do not believe that it is critical for the translations (e.g.
> localized role names) in Java and ATK to be identical (though of course
> one would prefer that they be the same).
> 
(Continue reading)

Brian Cameron | 2 Dec 19:05 2003
Picon

Re: XEvIE


Paul Sprencz wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I tried to apply the patch  which has XEvIE on our Solaris 9 machine, but it
> failed because it request another patch to apply  before.
> My patch is T112785-26.tar.Z, and the requested patch number is 1113096-03.
> Somebody can help me, where I found this patch, from where I can download
> it?

I assume you mean patch 113096 and not 1113096.

Patches that have not been released via sunsolve (such as test patches) can
be found here:

http://sunsoftpatch.sfbay/patchstatus/

I notice that patch 113096 is available there.

Brian
Paul Sprencz | 3 Dec 08:17 2003
Picon

Re: Re: XEvIE

Hi Brian,

Thanks for help, but it seem to be not working this site for me.

Best Regards
Paul Sprencz

>
>
> Paul Sprencz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried to apply the patch  which has XEvIE on our Solaris 9 machine,
but it
> > failed because it request another patch to apply  before.
> > My patch is T112785-26.tar.Z, and the requested patch number is
1113096-03.
> > Somebody can help me, where I found this patch, from where I can
download
> > it?
>
> I assume you mean patch 113096 and not 1113096.
>
> Patches that have not been released via sunsolve (such as test patches)
can
> be found here:
>
> http://sunsoftpatch.sfbay/patchstatus/
>
> I notice that patch 113096 is available there.
(Continue reading)

Brian Cameron | 3 Dec 10:38 2003
Picon

Re: Re: XEvIE


I had absolutely no problem downloading the 113096-03 patch from the
http://sunsoftpatch.sfbay/patchstatus/ website.  Did you not login?
You can only download patches if you login.  Or perhaps the website
was temporarily down.  If so, it is back up right now.

Brian

Paul Sprencz wrote:
> Hi Brian,
> 
> Thanks for help, but it seem to be not working this site for me.
> 
> 
> Best Regards
> Paul Sprencz
> 
> 
>>
>>Paul Sprencz wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I tried to apply the patch  which has XEvIE on our Solaris 9 machine,
>>
> but it
> 
>>>failed because it request another patch to apply  before.
>>>My patch is T112785-26.tar.Z, and the requested patch number is
>>
(Continue reading)

Paul Sprencz | 3 Dec 13:27 2003
Picon

Re: Re: XEvIE

Hi Brian,
I did not login. At which user I can login? Where I can login or where I can 
create a new account. From our system the server http://sunsoftpatch.sfbay 
unreachable. Or could you put the patch on a visible server for our to.
Thanks,

Best Regards
Paul Sprencz
On Wednesday 03 December 2003 11:38, Brian Cameron wrote:
> I had absolutely no problem downloading the 113096-03 patch from the
> http://sunsoftpatch.sfbay/patchstatus/ website.  Did you not login?
> You can only download patches if you login.  Or perhaps the website
> was temporarily down.  If so, it is back up right now.
>
> Brian
>
> Paul Sprencz wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Thanks for help, but it seem to be not working this site for me.
> >
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Paul Sprencz
> >
> >>Paul Sprencz wrote:
> >>>Hi all,
> >>>
> >>>I tried to apply the patch  which has XEvIE on our Solaris 9 machine,
> >
(Continue reading)

remus draica | 4 Dec 09:50 2003
Picon

Fwd: [Bug 124837] Changed - system hang/disabled by 'about volume control'->credits layer 3 key 7


----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: [Bug 124837] Changed - system hang/disabled by 'about volume 
control'->credits layer 3 key 7
Date: Thursday 04 December 2003 10:45
From: bugzilla-daemon <at> widget.gnome.org
To: bill.haneman <at> sun.com
Cc: gnome-access-bugs <at> basso.SFBay.Sun.COM

Please do not reply to this email- if you want to comment on the bug, go to
 the URL shown below and enter your comments there.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=124837

Changed by rd <at> baum.ro.

--- shadow/124837	Wed Dec  3 08:11:56 2003
+++ shadow/124837.tmp.19954	Thu Dec  4 03:45:18 2003
 <at>  <at>  -729,6 +729,22  <at>  <at> 
 ------- Additional Comments From rd <at> baum.ro  2003-11-27 02:30 -------
 *** Bug 127883 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

 ------- Additional Comments From bill.haneman <at> sun.com  2003-12-03 08:11
 ------- this is still IMO a gnopernicus bug, with a probably less-severe
 at-spi issue.
+
+------- Additional Comments From rd <at> baum.ro  2003-12-04 03:45 -------
+
+I confirm that with Adi's patch from 2003-10-30 the desktop has same
(Continue reading)

Calum Benson | 4 Dec 14:26 2003
Picon

Weekly a11y bug nag

Right now we have:

11 Stoppers (-1 since 26th Nov)		in=2, out=3
45 Candidate stoppers (-1) 		in=6, out=7
185 Significant, not stoppers (-14)	in=17, out=31
119 Lesser impact (-1) 			in=1, out=2

48 of which (-3) are as yet untriaged by the accessibility team.

List of open bugs only:
http://www.gnome.org/~calum/access-bugs-openonly.html

Full report:
http://www.gnome.org/~calum/access-bugs.html

(NB: Only bugs affecting modules in Sun's distro are currently included
in the bug counts.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--

-- 
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum.benson <at> sun.com            GNOME Desktop Group
http://ie.sun.com                      +353 1 819 9771

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Sun Microsystems
Bill Haneman | 4 Dec 14:54 2003
Picon

Re: Imminent API/ABI freeze: (was TARBALLS DUE: GNOME 2.5.1 Developme nt Release)

Murray.Cumming <at> Comneon.com wrote:
Just so you can't say we didn't warn you, I'd like to point out that the API/ABI freeze will happen on December 8th, 4 days from now.
Murray/all:

Just so you know - there is a _critical_ accessibility API-related bug in gtk+ which haven't been addressed yet, since Owen has been on holiday (and several other serious accessibility API bugs against gtk+).   I don't know quite what to do about this, but at least one of the bugs is a total accessibility stopper and as such may have to be dealt with via an exception to the freeze:

64613
nor Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW focus handling (OutputOnly, ICCCM compliance)

The user-visible problem is GOK bug
126727
cri Urg REOP gok general GOK getting focus due to gtk+ internals change
but this bug cannot be fixed or worked around in GOK.

This (like several accessibility problems in the GNOME 2.5 stack) is caused by behavioral changes in gtk+, so from a user viewpoint they are very serious regressions.  However from gtk+'s viewpoint bincompat has not been broken, so the only alternative is either change gtk+'s behavior or new API.  There's a patch for the gtk+ bug, but if it can't be applied the only alternative is new API.

There is also gnomeprint bug
96802 nor Nor jody <at> gnome.org NEW Print Preview needs accessibility features

We've been trying to deal with this one and will work with Jody to try and solve it by Monday - but it's definitely an API issue.

We have been working hard to close all the API issues in the accessibility modules on time, but some issues cannot be resolved in the accessibility modules themselves.

Other significant gtk+ API issues for accessibility:
79327 nor Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW Should have gtk_widget_get_mnemonic_label()
92346 enh Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW Window icons don't respect icon theme
104811 nor Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW Not possible to get position and text for a GtkScale
113112 nor Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW Cannot determine whether a widget has an attached menu
114851 nor Nor gtk-bugs <at> gtk.org NEW Cannot determine the widget for which tooltip is displayed
Of these, three have patches which have not been reviewed.
 
How should we proceed to get these resolved in time?

regards

Bill
Here's some information about the API/ABI freeze: http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/tasks.html#FreezeAPI http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/tasks.html#ApprovingFreezeBreaks As ever, we would like you to send an email to the release-team to tell us what new API you have added to your GNOME Platform modules.
Here's a pretty calendar to scare your pants off: December 2003 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (8) 9(10)11 12 13 2.5.1, API/ABI Freeze 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28(29)30(31) 2.5.2 tarballs due and released January 2004 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11(12)13(14)15 16 17 2.5.3, Feature, Module and UI Freeze 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25(26)27(28)29 30 31 2.5.4 tarballs due and released February 2004 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (9)10(11)12 13 14 Beta 1, String and Hard UI Freeze 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22(23)24(25)26 27 28 Beta 2, HARD CODE FREEZE 29 March 2004 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa (1) 2 (3) 4 5 6 Release Candidate tarballs due and released 7 (8) 9(10)11 12 13 GNOME 2.6.0 FINAL 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Murray Cumming www.murrayc.com murrayc <at> usa.net _______________________________________________ gnome-hackers mailing list gnome-hackers <at> gnome.org http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-hackers


Gmane