Roberto Spadim | 1 Feb 01:20 2011
Picon

Re: Error reading 1-wire

for uart (rs232) without bit bang
can we send for example ! <at> $ASDF$%
and i return FASDLFADSF
just for test? or the protocol is binary (not human) read/writeable?

2011/1/31 Paul Alfille <paul.alfille <at> gmail.com>:
> Some of the serial bus masters have an ascii mode that you that is
> easy to test with a terminal emulator (LINK, HA5 HA7,...). The other
> serial bus masters have a rather specific binary mode (DS9097U, DS9097
> passive).
>
> The two other ways to test the serial adapter not involving owfs are
> digitemp and the 1-wire public domain kit.
>
> It's also possible to communicate with the serial adapters remotely
> using telnet and the
> rfc2217 in-band binary mode.
>
> Paul
>
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Roberto Spadim <roberto <at> spadim.com.br> wrote:
>> kkkk i was asking "?" not affirming.
>> there´s a echo command for serial-onewire converter?
>>
>> 2011/1/31 Mick Sulley <mick <at> sulley.info>:
>>> Hi Roberto,
>>>
>>> My 1-wire is currently working OK so I thought I would try out your
>>> suggestion to see what I get.
>>>
(Continue reading)

Mick Sulley | 1 Feb 01:54 2011

Re: Error reading 1-wire

I have digitemp installed, I used to use that but changed to owfs so
that I can use i/o as well as temperature.  Next time it happens I will
try digitemp as well.

Thanks
Mick

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 18:47 -0500, Paul Alfille wrote:
> Some of the serial bus masters have an ascii mode that you that is
> easy to test with a terminal emulator (LINK, HA5 HA7,...). The other
> serial bus masters have a rather specific binary mode (DS9097U, DS9097
> passive).
> 
> The two other ways to test the serial adapter not involving owfs are
> digitemp and the 1-wire public domain kit.
> 
> It's also possible to communicate with the serial adapters remotely
> using telnet and the
> rfc2217 in-band binary mode.
> 
> Paul
> 
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Roberto Spadim <roberto <at> spadim.com.br> wrote:
> > kkkk i was asking "?" not affirming.
> > there´s a echo command for serial-onewire converter?
> >
> > 2011/1/31 Mick Sulley <mick <at> sulley.info>:
> >> Hi Roberto,
> >>
> >> My 1-wire is currently working OK so I thought I would try out your
(Continue reading)

Norman Elliott | 1 Feb 17:52 2011
Picon

Error accessing USB bus

running:
 /opt/owfs/bin/owfs -C -u -m /home/norman/1-wire --foreground --error_level=9 2>ow.log
with ds2490 loaded or not gives the following:

norman <at> norman-laptop:~$ cat ow.log
CONNECT: owfs.c:main(123) fuse mount point: /home/norman/1-wire
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(75) Avahi support: libavahi-client loaded successfully
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(77) Avahi library function found: avahi_client_errno
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(78) Avahi library function found: avahi_client_free
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(79) Avahi library function found: avahi_client_new
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(80) Avahi library function found: avahi_client_get_domain_name
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(81) Avahi library function found: avahi_entry_group_add_service
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(82) Avahi library function found: avahi_entry_group_commit
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(83) Avahi library function found: avahi_entry_group_is_empty
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(84) Avahi library function found: avahi_entry_group_new
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(85) Avahi library function found: avahi_entry_group_reset
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(87) Avahi library function found: avahi_service_resolver_free
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(88) Avahi library function found: avahi_service_resolver_new
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(89) Avahi library function found: avahi_service_browser_free
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(90) Avahi library function found: avahi_service_browser_new
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(102) Avahi support: libavahi-common loaded successfully.
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(104) Avahi library function found: avahi_simple_poll_free
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(105) Avahi library function found: avahi_simple_poll_get
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(106) Avahi library function found: avahi_simple_poll_loop
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(107) Avahi library function found: avahi_simple_poll_new
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(108) Avahi library function found: avahi_simple_poll_quit
  DEBUG: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(109) Avahi library function found: avahi_strerror
   CALL: ow_parsename.c:FS_ParsedName_anywhere(91) path=[]
  DEBUG: owlib.c:SetupTemperatureLimits(79) Globals temp limits 0C 100C (for simulated adapters)
CONNECT: ow_usb_cycle.c:USB_next(68) Bus master found: 3:2
CONNECT: ow_usb_msg.c:DS9490_open(269) Failed to set configuration on USB DS9490 bus master at 3:2.
  DEBUG: ow_usb_msg.c:DS9490_open(290) Did not successfully open DS9490 3:2
DEFAULT: owlib.c:SetupSingleInboundConnection(196) Cannot open USB bus master
DEFAULT: owlib.c:LibStart(54) No valid 1-wire buses found
  DEBUG: owfs.c:ow_exit(31) owfs: ow_exit(1)

but if ds2490 is loaded it works when run sudo
I have tried all the methods on the owfs site to overcome this and a few others but none work.
Any suggestions as to what I can try?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Paul Davis | 1 Feb 23:10 2011

Re: Error reading 1-wire

I would suggest that you move the adapter to ttyS0, which should be the 
built-in serial port with a 'real' UART and see how it works there. 
Eliminate any USB vagueness.

The ttyS2 you are using is USB. I know from professional experience that 
there are differences in USB serial implementations that can cause 
quirkiness. Sometimes the drivers get unloaded, the system goes into 
power saving mode (not necessarily sleep) and powers down the USB 
device, or a number of other things can happen.

If you then move back to the USB serial device and this happens again, 
do a 'lsusb' and make sure the device still shows up. Do a 'lsmod' and 
make sure the kernel module is still loaded.

Paul

On 1/31/2011 7:55 AM, Mick Sulley wrote:
> OK it just happened again.  Started my python program and it failed
> with
> DEFAULT: ow_reconnect.c:TestConnection(52) Failed to reconnect DS9097
> bus master!
>
> In a terminal I ran
> owhttpd -p 3001 -d /dev/ttyS2 --debug
>
> and this gave me
>
> CONNECT: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(72) No Avahi support.
> Library libavahi-client couldn't be loaded
> CONNECT: ow_dnssd.c:OW_Load_dnssd_library(136) Zeroconf/Bonjour is
> disabled since dnssd library isn't found
>     CALL: ow_parsename.c:FS_ParsedName_anywhere(90) path=[]
>    DEBUG: owlib.c:SetupTemperatureLimits(79) Globals temp limits 0C 100C
> (for simulated adapters)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_initialize_repeatedly(259) Attempt #0 to
> initialize the DS9097U
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_big_reset_serial(337) Send the initial
> reset to the bus master.
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_write(451) wrong response (CD
> not 44)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_big_reset_serial(337) Send the initial
> reset to the bus master.
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> not 00)
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
>    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_write(451) wrong response (CD
> not 44)
>
>
> I opened up a browser on http://localhost:3001/ and it says unable to
> connect.
>
> The serial port looks OK
> mick <at> mick-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep tty
> [    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
> [    0.489257] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> [    0.489554] 00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> [   14.681524] 0000:03:07.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xdf00 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> [   14.681616] 0000:03:07.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0xde00 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> mick <at> mick-desktop:~$
>
>
> I then rebooted and it all works fine!
>
> Any idea what could cause this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
> Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
> Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires
> February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
> _______________________________________________
> Owfs-developers mailing list
> Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Mick Sulley | 1 Feb 23:39 2011

Re: Error reading 1-wire

Hi Paul,

No it's not USB, I have added a card with two serial ports, so I have
S0, the original port, then S1 and S2 which are the additional ports.

The reason was that on my control PC I am running owfs for 1-wire and
also X10 to drive some outputs, so I needed two serial ports.  In order
to test out stuff I have added a similar card to my desktop and it is
there that I am having these problems, the control PC almost never
stops.

Cheers
Mick

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 17:10 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> I would suggest that you move the adapter to ttyS0, which should be the 
> built-in serial port with a 'real' UART and see how it works there. 
> Eliminate any USB vagueness.
> 
> The ttyS2 you are using is USB. I know from professional experience that 
> there are differences in USB serial implementations that can cause 
> quirkiness. Sometimes the drivers get unloaded, the system goes into 
> power saving mode (not necessarily sleep) and powers down the USB 
> device, or a number of other things can happen.
> 
> If you then move back to the USB serial device and this happens again, 
> do a 'lsusb' and make sure the device still shows up. Do a 'lsmod' and 
> make sure the kernel module is still loaded.
> 
> Paul
> 
> On 1/31/2011 7:55 AM, Mick Sulley wrote:
> > OK it just happened again.  Started my python program and it failed
> > with
> > DEFAULT: ow_reconnect.c:TestConnection(52) Failed to reconnect DS9097
> > bus master!
> >
> > In a terminal I ran
> > owhttpd -p 3001 -d /dev/ttyS2 --debug
> >
> > and this gave me
> >
> > CONNECT: ow_avahi_link.c:OW_Load_avahi_library(72) No Avahi support.
> > Library libavahi-client couldn't be loaded
> > CONNECT: ow_dnssd.c:OW_Load_dnssd_library(136) Zeroconf/Bonjour is
> > disabled since dnssd library isn't found
> >     CALL: ow_parsename.c:FS_ParsedName_anywhere(90) path=[]
> >    DEBUG: owlib.c:SetupTemperatureLimits(79) Globals temp limits 0C 100C
> > (for simulated adapters)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_initialize_repeatedly(259) Attempt #0 to
> > initialize the DS9097U
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_big_reset_serial(337) Send the initial
> > reset to the bus master.
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_write(451) wrong response (CD
> > not 44)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_big_reset_serial(337) Send the initial
> > reset to the bus master.
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(488) Failed first attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_read(467) wrong response (70
> > not 00)
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_set_baud_control(493) Failed second attempt
> > at resetting baud rate of bus master /dev/ttyS2
> >    DEBUG: ow_ds9097U.c:DS2480_configuration_write(451) wrong response (CD
> > not 44)
> >
> >
> > I opened up a browser on http://localhost:3001/ and it says unable to
> > connect.
> >
> > The serial port looks OK
> > mick <at> mick-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep tty
> > [    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
> > [    0.489257] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> > [    0.489554] 00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> > [   14.681524] 0000:03:07.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xdf00 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> > [   14.681616] 0000:03:07.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0xde00 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> > mick <at> mick-desktop:~$
> >
> >
> > I then rebooted and it all works fine!
> >
> > Any idea what could cause this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mick
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
> > Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
> > Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires
> > February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY!
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
> > _______________________________________________
> > Owfs-developers mailing list
> > Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
> >
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
> Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
> Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
> February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
> _______________________________________________
> Owfs-developers mailing list
> Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Paul Davis | 3 Feb 03:49 2011

Re: Error reading 1-wire

Hi Mick-

I'm sorry. At first glance the device ID of 03:07.0 looked like USB to 
me., but I guess it's PCI.

I think I'd still start with the basics and make sure everything is what 
it appears to be. Are there any BIOS messages before system boot 
regarding the add-in card? IRQs and IO ports? In the dmsg output are 
there any messages relating to the ports? Anything from 'setpci' or 
'setserial' in the logs?  Is all of this consistent with what is seen in 
/proc/interrupts (activity) , /proc/ioports, /proc/tty/driver/serial ? 
You could also use 'lspci -vv' and take a peek at the card details. I'd 
still look at lsmod after boot when things work. and then again when 
they don't. A lot of this is what you would so if you cant get the card 
to work (which I know is not your problem) but comparing between the 
working and non-working states may show something, especially the 'lspci 
-vv' output.

Usually 16550A UARTS are pretty good, but your's would seem be unhappy 
at times...

Best regards,
Paul

On 2/1/2011 5:39 PM, Mick Sulley wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> No it's not USB, I have added a card with two serial ports, so I have
> S0, the original port, then S1 and S2 which are the additional ports.
>
> The reason was that on my control PC I am running owfs for 1-wire and
> also X10 to drive some outputs, so I needed two serial ports.  In order
> to test out stuff I have added a similar card to my desktop and it is
> there that I am having these problems, the control PC almost never
> stops.
>
> Cheers
> Mick
>
> On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 17:10 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> I would suggest that you move the adapter to ttyS0, which should be the
>> built-in serial port with a 'real' UART and see how it works there.
>> Eliminate any USB vagueness.
>>
>> The ttyS2 you are using is USB. I know from professional experience that
>> there are differences in USB serial implementations that can cause
>> quirkiness. Sometimes the drivers get unloaded, the system goes into
>> power saving mode (not necessarily sleep) and powers down the USB
>> device, or a number of other things can happen.
>>
>> If you then move back to the USB serial device and this happens again,
>> do a 'lsusb' and make sure the device still shows up. Do a 'lsmod' and
>> make sure the kernel module is still loaded.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Mick Sulley | 3 Feb 10:18 2011

Re: Error reading 1-wire

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will investigate further next time it
happens.  Always useful to get ideas from experienced linuxers, I am
still learning.

Cheers

Mick

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 21:49 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Hi Mick-
> 
> I'm sorry. At first glance the device ID of 03:07.0 looked like USB to 
> me., but I guess it's PCI.
> 
> I think I'd still start with the basics and make sure everything is what 
> it appears to be. Are there any BIOS messages before system boot 
> regarding the add-in card? IRQs and IO ports? In the dmsg output are 
> there any messages relating to the ports? Anything from 'setpci' or 
> 'setserial' in the logs?  Is all of this consistent with what is seen in 
> /proc/interrupts (activity) , /proc/ioports, /proc/tty/driver/serial ? 
> You could also use 'lspci -vv' and take a peek at the card details. I'd 
> still look at lsmod after boot when things work. and then again when 
> they don't. A lot of this is what you would so if you cant get the card 
> to work (which I know is not your problem) but comparing between the 
> working and non-working states may show something, especially the 'lspci 
> -vv' output.
> 
> Usually 16550A UARTS are pretty good, but your's would seem be unhappy 
> at times...
> 
> Best regards,
> Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Picon

Owserver performance with i2c master

Hi,

I'm developing 1-wire communication at embedded computer with ARM9 and  ds2482-100 master chip.
Is anyone test owfs performance via i2c master?

I'm reading temperature from ds18b20 sensors and it took a long time (from 1,5s to 8s) with fasttemp read. It should be much faster. I've made some tests with writing simultaneous/temperature bit but performance was still the same - means poor.

Reading PIO states from ds2408 device took about 600ms (but sometimes 1,5s).    

Devices are powered (reading with parasite mode took 5-8s).

Is anyone have some idea? some solution?

--
Stopka pl

Best Regards

 

Roman Jałoza



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires 
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Pascal Baerten | 3 Feb 21:44 2011
Picon

Re: Owserver performance with i2c master

Hi Roman,

I'm using owfs with ds2482-800 and found the communication slower than other bus masters solutions.
However not that slow than you describe.

Analysing 1-Wire communication with a digital scope shown that an idle period is visible between each byte and "tri-bits".
This idle period is around 1,3ms for my system (nslu2 with debian), this reduce the effective throughput to 4kbit/s instead of 15kbit/s.

Do you have an hadware assited i2c controller embedded or are you using software i2c?
I think that my behaviour come from software i2c that does not buffer transactions and require attention from owfs between each byte and tri-bits.

Regarding the temp reading, I think you better to read 'temperature' property after a simultaneous converT command instead of 'fasttemp' which is not prepared by the simultaneou command. - Paul correct me if not true -

You may also find usefull information by starting your owfs daemon with '--debug' param. Reading temp involve a blocking transaction that wait until conversion is finished by polling 1-wire or for fixed time depending on method used and parasite power mode.

Pascal



2011/2/3 "Roman Jałoza - TechBase Sp. z o.o." <r.jaloza <at> a2s.pl>
Hi,

I'm developing 1-wire communication at embedded computer with ARM9 and  ds2482-100 master chip.
Is anyone test owfs performance via i2c master?

I'm reading temperature from ds18b20 sensors and it took a long time (from 1,5s to 8s) with fasttemp read. It should be much faster. I've made some tests with writing simultaneous/temperature bit but performance was still the same - means poor.

Reading PIO states from ds2408 device took about 600ms (but sometimes 1,5s).    

Devices are powered (reading with parasite mode took 5-8s).

Is anyone have some idea? some solution?

--

Best Regards  

Roman Jałoza


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers




--
Pascal
www.brain4home.eu
to subscribe, send a mail to <list-subscribe <at> brain4home.eu>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The modern datacenter depends on network connectivity to access resources
and provide services. The best practices for maximizing a physical server's
connectivity to a physical network are well understood - see how these
rules translate into the virtual world? 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnlfb
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Roman Jałoza | 3 Feb 22:44 2011
Picon

Re: Owserver performance with i2c master

Hi Pascal,

I think that those delays are caused by older kernel. There is kernel 2.6.20.4 on my board.
I was testing owfs 2.8p4 but it is design for kernel 2.6.29+ Am I right?

I cross compile owfs 2.7p34 and it works faster and more stable. Reading switch PIO about 600ms and temperature about 900ms-1,5s.

My application in Java is reading from owserver and timing is similar.  I'm using jowfsclient library.
Yes, I'm using hardware i2c controller, so my owserver is connecting via /dev/i2c-0:0 (0x18).

You are right, reading temperature after writing a simultaneous converT command is faster. What is more... I find out that writing converT command receiving errors at owfs 2.8p4(with 2.7p34 works perfectly).
Stopka pl
Roman

W dniu 03.02.2011 21:44, Pascal Baerten pisze:
Hi Roman,

I'm using owfs with ds2482-800 and found the communication slower than other bus masters solutions.
However not that slow than you describe.

Analysing 1-Wire communication with a digital scope shown that an idle period is visible between each byte and "tri-bits".
This idle period is around 1,3ms for my system (nslu2 with debian), this reduce the effective throughput to 4kbit/s instead of 15kbit/s.

Do you have an hadware assited i2c controller embedded or are you using software i2c?
I think that my behaviour come from software i2c that does not buffer transactions and require attention from owfs between each byte and tri-bits.

Regarding the temp reading, I think you better to read 'temperature' property after a simultaneous converT command instead of 'fasttemp' which is not prepared by the simultaneou command. - Paul correct me if not true -

You may also find usefull information by starting your owfs daemon with '--debug' param. Reading temp involve a blocking transaction that wait until conversion is finished by polling 1-wire or for fixed time depending on method used and parasite power mode.

Pascal



2011/2/3 "Roman Jałoza - TechBase Sp. z o.o." <r.jaloza <at> a2s.pl>
Hi,

I'm developing 1-wire communication at embedded computer with ARM9 and  ds2482-100 master chip.
Is anyone test owfs performance via i2c master?

I'm reading temperature from ds18b20 sensors and it took a long time (from 1,5s to 8s) with fasttemp read. It should be much faster. I've made some tests with writing simultaneous/temperature bit but performance was still the same - means poor.

Reading PIO states from ds2408 device took about 600ms (but sometimes 1,5s).    

Devices are powered (reading with parasite mode took 5-8s).

Is anyone have some idea? some solution?

--

Best Regards  

Roman Jałoza


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)!
Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free!
Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires
February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers




--
Pascal
www.brain4home.eu
to subscribe, send a mail to <list-subscribe <at> brain4home.eu>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The modern datacenter depends on network connectivity to access resources and provide services. The best practices for maximizing a physical server's connectivity to a physical network are well understood - see how these rules translate into the virtual world? http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnlfb _______________________________________________ Owfs-developers mailing list Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The modern datacenter depends on network connectivity to access resources
and provide services. The best practices for maximizing a physical server's
connectivity to a physical network are well understood - see how these
rules translate into the virtual world? 
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnlfb
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
Owfs-developers <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers

Gmane