Herbert Huber | 16 Dec 15:25 2003
Picon

Problems with dual Opteron and arla-0.36pre29

I've built arla-0.36pre29 on our dual Opteron system running SLES 8.2
and kernel 2.4.23 with the xfs-patch from SGI, using the Opteron patch
from Harald Barth which can be found at
/afs/stacken.kth.se/ftp/pub/arla/random-patches/opteron-against-0.36pre29.patch

(thanks to Harald for creating this patch!).

Trying to start arla fails with the following error messages:

/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
-mcmodel=kernel!
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Relocation overflow of type 10 for .data
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
-mcmodel=kernel!
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Relocation overflow of type 10 for .rodata.str1.1

/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
-mcmodel=kernel!
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Relocation overflow of type 10 for .data
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
-mcmodel=kernel!
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Relocation overflow of type 10 for .rodata.str1.1

/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
-mcmodel=kernel!
/usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Relocation overflow of type 10 for .data
....

opteron seems not to support the flag -mcmodel=kernel!

(Continue reading)

Mark Ogden | 22 Dec 23:14 2003
Picon

arla & freebsd 5.x

Has anyone out there been able to build arla on any of the freebsd 5.x
series?
--

-- 
Mark L Ogden
ogden <at> eng.utah.edu

Harald Barth | 23 Dec 02:10 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: arla & freebsd 5.x


>Has anyone out there been able to build arla on any of the freebsd 5.x
series?

Not only does it build, it even runs ;-) 0.36pre31 or newer from CVS.
My config.log from mid October says:

  $ ../arla-0.36pre31/configure --with-roken=/usr/heimdal --with-krb5=/usr/heimdal --without-krb4

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = fallaffel.stacken.kth.se
uname -m = i386
uname -r = 5.1-RELEASE-p8
uname -s = FreeBSD
uname -v = FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p8 #0: Sat Sep 27 11:17:53 GMT 2003

This i a 2x200Mhz Ppro used as multiuser login box at Stacken. 10 days
ago we had an administrative reboot - so the statistics are since that
date and there has not been much data shovling since that date.

fallaffel# /usr/arla/bin/fs getstat fetchdata
     kexchoklad.stacken.kth.se    /vicepa
  #req   tot KB   tot us   avg us     KB/s
    22   126994   774701    35213      163
     kvikklunsj.stacken.kth.se    /vicepa
  #req   tot KB   tot us   avg us     KB/s
   151  1629347 37512600   248427       43
(Continue reading)

Harald Barth | 23 Dec 19:26 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: arla & freebsd 5.x

> Thanks for the reply but it still won't built. Here is the error:
> 
> ./configure --with-roken=/usr/heimdal --with-krb5=/usr/heimdal
> --without-krb4

> make_cmds.c:35:20: getarg.h: No such file or directory

The getarg.h is part of the roken library I allready have installed on
the system - from my heimdal install. Do you have a roken library in
your heimdal install? Got heimdal in /usr/heimdal? That's where
getarg.h is found. If you don't have it in heimdal, ommit the
configure option and it will probably compile/link against its own
roken library.

Include cc: arla-drinkers <at> stacken.kth.se in your replies, please.

Harald.

Harald Barth | 30 Dec 16:51 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: Problems with dual Opteron and arla-0.36pre29


Still blind flight on my side. But I saw now other reactions...

> Trying to start arla fails with the following error messages:
> 
> /usr/arla/bin/nnpfs.o: Possibly is module compiled without
> -mcmodel=kernel!

I think I added this flag to the flags which are used to compile
the nnpfs kernel module:

habariff:haba$ grep mcmodel
/afs/stacken.kth.se/ftp/pub/arla/random-patches/opteron-against-0.36pre29.patch 
+    KERNEL_CFLAGS="${KERNEL_CFLAGS} -mcmodel=kernel" ;;

If your compiler does not support or ignores that flag, you may need
to use another compiler (kgcc? Other version?). Check that the nnpfs
stuff really is compiled with that flag.

> opteron seems not to support the flag -mcmodel=kernel!

Strange. At least the compiler that compiles your kernel should
use that memory model on an x86-64.

Harald.

Mark Ogden | 30 Dec 22:30 2003
Picon

Re: arla & freebsd 5.x

Harald Barth on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:26:02PM +0100 wrote:
> The getarg.h is part of the roken library I allready have installed on
> the system - from my heimdal install. Do you have a roken library in
> your heimdal install? Got heimdal in /usr/heimdal? That's where
> getarg.h is found. If you don't have it in heimdal, ommit the
> configure option and it will probably compile/link against its own
> roken library.
> 
> Harald.

Yes, I had those in the /usr/heimdal. Now, I am getting this error:

./.libs/libko.a(libko_la-kocell.o): In function `cell_getcellbyhost':
/root/arla-0.36pre31/lib/ko/kocell.c:865: undefined reference to `krb_realmofhost'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /root/arla-0.36pre31/lib/ko.
*** Error code 1

Any idea? This is one a fresh install of 5.1 with no args for config.

--

-- 
Mark L Ogden
ogden <at> eng.utah.edu

Harald Barth | 31 Dec 00:41 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: arla & freebsd 5.x

> 
> ./.libs/libko.a(libko_la-kocell.o): In function `cell_getcellbyhost':
> /root/arla-0.36pre31/lib/ko/kocell.c:865: undefined reference to `krb_realmofhost'
> *** Error code 1

If you look at kocell.c:

#ifdef HAVE_KRB4
    ptr = krb_realmofhost(host);
#endif

So you have configured heimdal with krb4 backwards compat? If you have
that, you need a libkrb.a providing krb_realmofhost(), typically in
/usr/athena/lib (--with-krb4=/usr/athena), but I guess that should not
be the case. Check that you configure --without-krb4 and then
hopefully you will not get HAVE_KRB4 defined which will release the
need of krb_realmofhost().

Harald.

Mark Ogden | 31 Dec 01:17 2003
Picon

Re: arla & freebsd 5.x

Harald Barth on Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 12:41:48AM +0100 wrote:
> If you look at kocell.c:
> 
> #ifdef HAVE_KRB4
>     ptr = krb_realmofhost(host);
> #endif
>  
> So you have configured heimdal with krb4 backwards compat? If you have
> that, you need a libkrb.a providing krb_realmofhost(), typically in
> /usr/athena/lib (--with-krb4=/usr/athena), but I guess that should not
> be the case. Check that you configure --without-krb4 and then
> hopefully you will not get HAVE_KRB4 defined which will release the
> need of krb_realmofhost().
> 
> Harald.

Thanks, no with --without-krb4 it does not give that error but now I
get the following:

gensysname gensysname-gensysname.o  ../../util/.libs/libarlautil.a
-L/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/lib -lroken -lcrypt
gensysname-gensysname.o: In function `main':
/root/arla-0.36pre31/lib/ko/gensysname.c:251: undefined reference to
`set_progname'
*** Error code 1

Thanks again for your time, you have been a great help. 

-Mark

(Continue reading)


Gmane