Kevin McCoy | 11 May 03:06 2010

dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems

I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded from XP 
to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any dnetc 
client issues with this platform?

I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install 
manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe complains 
about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged in as 
domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.

Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the client to 
store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the client smart 
enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on 
Vista/Win 7?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin G. McCoy
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5

Chris Jones | 11 May 04:17 2010
Picon

Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems

Hi Kevin,

You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
(Right-Click Command Prompt -> Run as Administrator).  UAC in Windows 7
means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default, and you
need admin rights to install a service.

Regards,

Chris

On Mon, 10 May 2010 18:06:30 -0700, Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy@...>
wrote:
> I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded from XP 
> to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any dnetc 
> client issues with this platform?
> 
> I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install 
> manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe complains

> about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged in as 
> domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.
> 
> Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the client to 
> store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the client smart

> enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on 
> Vista/Win 7?
> 
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(Continue reading)

Kevin McCoy | 11 May 06:57 2010

Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems

On 5/10/2010 7:17 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
> (Right-Click Command Prompt ->  Run as Administrator).  UAC in Windows 7
> means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default, and you
> need admin rights to install a service.
>    

That makes sense. I successfully installed the dnet client on a 64 bit 
Win7 box (mine). It probably worked because I am admin on my own box, 
and domain admin on everyone Else's.

I'll try remoting in as the machine admin tomorrow and see if I can't 
complete the installs. I have a lot of machines to do!

Best regards,

Kevin G. McCoy
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5

bert | 11 May 12:13 2010
Picon

Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems

On 5/11/2010 12:57 AM, Kevin McCoy wrote:
On 5/10/2010 7:17 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Hi Kevin, You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt (Right-Click Command Prompt -> Run as Administrator). UAC in Windows 7 means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default, and you need admin rights to install a service.
That makes sense. I successfully installed the dnet client on a 64 bit Win7 box (mine). It probably worked because I am admin on my own box, and domain admin on everyone Else's. I'll try remoting in as the machine admin tomorrow and see if I can't complete the installs. I have a lot of machines to do! Best regards, Kevin G. McCoy _______________________________________________ rc5 mailing list rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5 No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2865 - Release Date: 05/10/10 02:26:00
Kevin do you own those machines,and if not do you have the owner's permission to install the dnetc client on those machines?


Bert
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
Kevin G. McCoy | 11 May 16:50 2010

Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems


 > Kevin do you own those machines,and if not do you have the owner's 
permission to install the dnetc client on those machines?

I am the IT Manager. Its good to be king...
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5

Jonathan Dixon | 11 May 16:57 2010
Picon

Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client

I ran into the same problem running the CUDA client + normal client.  I have a GeForce GTX260 and Core i7.  I noticed that running the normal client would slow down the CUDA client enough that it wasn't worth running the normal client at all, but I hated to let a Core i7 sit virtually idle.  I had tried to increase the priority of the GPU client, but it didn't seem to help any.  The solution I came up with was to manually set the core count on the normal client to one less than the maximum number of threads on the computer.  This prevented processes from moving from core to core, which slows them down a little, and also should prevent competition between the clients because there is always a free core to keep feeding the GPU. 

I also agree with Waldo on the hyper-threading.  HT is great for single core CPUs and helps them multi-task better, but it has a negligible effect when the computer is already good at multi-tasking due to the number of cores.  Given that a little efficiency is lost when the computer moves processes to and from a specific core, it is counter productive to run two jobs on the same core that accomplish the same task as does HT.  HT is designed to reduce the effect, but if the computer is built to run RC5, it would be better just to not have the effect at all.  If RC5 is set to auto-detect thread count and HT is enabled, it will automatically assign two processes to every core.  Thus HT would seem to degrade performance by inducing exactly what it is supposed to solve.  I don't think it is effective to leave HT running and manually set the cores to half because the the core time has already been split and you are deciding to only use half of it.  Yes, I know. an 8 threaded computer just isn't as cool as a 16 threaded computer.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM, <rc5-request-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Send rc5 mailing list submissions to
       rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ1Q+HMy2YlzRA@public.gmane.orgributed.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
       http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
       rc5-request-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
       rc5-owner <at> lists.distributed.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of rc5 digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1.  Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client (Jeff Mohler)
  2. Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
     (Korey Nixon)
  3. Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
     (waldo kitty)
  4. PS3 Linux EOL (Lars Sahlmann)
  5. distributed.net proxy network status RC5 (Lars Sahlmann)
  6. dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Kevin McCoy)
  7. Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Chris Jones)
  8. Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Kevin McCoy)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:54:08 -0800
From: Jeff Mohler <speedtoys.racing-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Subject: [RC5]  Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org>
Message-ID:
       <a969fbd11003031654i4ef93929oc38c9d8c075975b4 <at> mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Ran into another issue.

The stream client starts to suck wind when the normal client is running on
my 16 threads of core on the Intel CPUs...

Why is that?


And lastly..these eight cores (16 with hyperthreading) of 3.3ghz Nehalems,
perform RC5 work slower, than my 8 non hyperthreaded 3.0Ghz Xeons..why is
that?  I would have expected some speed increase.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100303/0779768c/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:09:44 -0400
From: Korey Nixon <korey.nixon <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RC5] Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org>
Message-ID: <4B8F0858.6060409-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100303/8939667d/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0500
From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 <at> windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [RC5] Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
To: rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org
Message-ID: <4B8F1930.3010907-IRWwtvOg6JtCT5WVRhHPMg@public.gmane.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

On 3/3/2010 19:54, Jeff Mohler wrote:
> And lastly..these eight cores (16 with hyperthreading) of 3.3ghz
> Nehalems, perform RC5 work slower, than my 8 non hyperthreaded 3.0Ghz
> Xeons..why is that?  I would have expected some speed increase.

try turning off the hyperthreading and see what happens... CPU chips can only do
so much... hyperthreading is not all it is cut out to be ;)


------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:35:26 +0200
From: "Lars Sahlmann" <lanisa <at> gmx.de>
Subject: [RC5] PS3 Linux EOL
To: rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org
Message-ID: <20100329133526.166730-hi6Y0CQ0nG0@public.gmane.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

I hope sony just made an april fools joke on that.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the ?Install Other OS? feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, we?re now removing this feature.

For most of you, this won?t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the ?Other OS? feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system.

-----------------

ok at least you can choose not to install this update.
--
GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment f?r nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02


------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:08:19 +0200
From: Lars Sahlmann <lanisa-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org>
Subject: [RC5] distributed.net proxy network status RC5
To: rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org
Message-ID: <4BD298E3.2070502 <at> gmx.de>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"

Hi,

looks like the proxies have a loot stuck WUs.

proxy1.bris.qld.au
<http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.bris.qld.au.proxy.distributed.net>
       kamy    0.8m    349     3.4mo   34,811.00       4999707/3110334
proxy1.aar.dk
<http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.aar.dk.proxy.distributed.net>
       monsted         10.4m   349     2.8mo   34,910.30       2000191/712354








proxy1.rwc.ca.us
<http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.rwc.ca.us.proxy.distributed.net>
       cdy     0.8m    349     1.9mo   203,315.00      2989914/946575








proxy2.rwc.ca.us
<http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy2.rwc.ca.us.proxy.distributed.net>
       bang    13.5m   349     1.5w    150,928.30      4999963/655993


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100424/63342368/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 18:06:30 -0700
From: Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy <at> idk-inc.com>
Subject: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org>
Message-ID: <4BE8AD96.8020104-i9sKHIsREmZBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed

I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded from XP
to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any dnetc
client issues with this platform?

I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install
manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe complains
about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged in as
domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.

Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the client to
store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the client smart
enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on
Vista/Win 7?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin G. McCoy


------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:17:12 +1000
From: Chris Jones <chrisj <at> distributed.net>
Subject: Re: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org>
Message-ID: <155d73873470e58626a3c7a6beafc60a-h+vdU0CuWzzQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hi Kevin,

You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
(Right-Click Command Prompt -> Run as Administrator).  UAC in Windows 7
means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default, and you
need admin rights to install a service.

Regards,

Chris

On Mon, 10 May 2010 18:06:30 -0700, Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy-i9sKHIsREmZBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded from XP
> to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any dnetc
> client issues with this platform?
>
> I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install
> manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe complains

> about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged in as
> domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.
>
> Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the client to
> store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the client smart

> enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on
> Vista/Win 7?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Kevin G. McCoy
> _______________________________________________
> rc5 mailing list
> rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org
> http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5


------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:57:03 -0700
From: Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy <at> idk-inc.com>
Subject: Re: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org>
Message-ID: <4BE8E39F.50400 <at> idk-inc.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

On 5/10/2010 7:17 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
> (Right-Click Command Prompt ->  Run as Administrator).  UAC in Windows 7
> means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default, and you
> need admin rights to install a service.
>

That makes sense. I successfully installed the dnet client on a 64 bit
Win7 box (mine). It probably worked because I am admin on my own box,
and domain admin on everyone Else's.

I'll try remoting in as the machine admin tomorrow and see if I can't
complete the installs. I have a lot of machines to do!

Best regards,

Kevin G. McCoy


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5-Ra3b/QYEcJ3d140v2zMXi0fjHoOT/h/0@public.gmane.org
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5


End of rc5 Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1
**********************************

_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
Gerald Richter | 14 May 00:58 2010
Picon

Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client

The stream and cuda clients both require 1 cpu thread free to feed them 
in order to maintain top speed. I run the CPU client configured with 
real CPU cores -1 parallel to the stream and cuda clients in my 
environments.

Jonathan Dixon wrote:
> I ran into the same problem running the CUDA client + normal client.  I 
> have a GeForce GTX260 and Core i7.  I noticed that running the normal 
> client would slow down the CUDA client enough that it wasn't worth 
> running the normal client at all, but I hated to let a Core i7 sit 
> virtually idle.  I had tried to increase the priority of the GPU client, 
> but it didn't seem to help any.  The solution I came up with was to 
> manually set the core count on the normal client to one less than the 
> maximum number of threads on the computer.  This prevented processes 
> from moving from core to core, which slows them down a little, and also 
> should prevent competition between the clients because there is always a 
> free core to keep feeding the GPU. 
> 
> I also agree with Waldo on the hyper-threading.  HT is great for single 
> core CPUs and helps them multi-task better, but it has a negligible 
> effect when the computer is already good at multi-tasking due to the 
> number of cores.  Given that a little efficiency is lost when the 
> computer moves processes to and from a specific core, it is counter 
> productive to run two jobs on the same core that accomplish the same 
> task as does HT.  HT is designed to reduce the effect, but if the 
> computer is built to run RC5, it would be better just to not have the 
> effect at all.  If RC5 is set to auto-detect thread count and HT is 
> enabled, it will automatically assign two processes to every core.  Thus 
> HT would seem to degrade performance by inducing exactly what it is 
> supposed to solve.  I don't think it is effective to leave HT running 
> and manually set the cores to half because the the core time has already 
> been split and you are deciding to only use half of it.  Yes, I know. an 
> 8 threaded computer just isn't as cool as a 16 threaded computer.
> 
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM, <rc5-request@... 
> <mailto:rc5-request@...>> wrote:
> 
>     Send rc5 mailing list submissions to
>            rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
> 
>     To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>            http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
>     or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>            rc5-request@...
>     <mailto:rc5-request@...>
> 
>     You can reach the person managing the list at
>            rc5-owner@...
>     <mailto:rc5-owner@...>
> 
>     When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>     than "Re: Contents of rc5 digest..."
> 
> 
>     Today's Topics:
> 
>       1.  Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client (Jeff Mohler)
>       2. Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
>          (Korey Nixon)
>       3. Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
>          (waldo kitty)
>       4. PS3 Linux EOL (Lars Sahlmann)
>       5. distributed.net <http://distributed.net> proxy network status
>     RC5 (Lars Sahlmann)
>       6. dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Kevin McCoy)
>       7. Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Chris Jones)
>       8. Re: dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems (Kevin McCoy)
> 
> 
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 1
>     Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:54:08 -0800
>     From: Jeff Mohler <speedtoys.racing@...
>     <mailto:speedtoys.racing@...>>
>     Subject: [RC5]  Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
>     To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5@...
>     <mailto:rc5@...>>
>     Message-ID:
>            <a969fbd11003031654i4ef93929oc38c9d8c075975b4@...
>     <mailto:a969fbd11003031654i4ef93929oc38c9d8c075975b4@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
>     Ran into another issue.
> 
>     The stream client starts to suck wind when the normal client is
>     running on
>     my 16 threads of core on the Intel CPUs...
> 
>     Why is that?
> 
> 
>     And lastly..these eight cores (16 with hyperthreading) of 3.3ghz
>     Nehalems,
>     perform RC5 work slower, than my 8 non hyperthreaded 3.0Ghz
>     Xeons..why is
>     that?  I would have expected some speed increase.
>     -------------- next part --------------
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>     URL:
>     http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100303/0779768c/attachment-0001.html
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 2
>     Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:09:44 -0400
>     From: Korey Nixon <korey.nixon@... <mailto:korey.nixon@...>>
>     Subject: Re: [RC5] Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
>     To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5@...
>     <mailto:rc5@...>>
>     Message-ID: <4B8F0858.6060409@...
>     <mailto:4B8F0858.6060409@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>     URL:
>     http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100303/8939667d/attachment-0001.html
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 3
>     Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0500
>     From: waldo kitty <wkitty42@...
>     <mailto:wkitty42@...>>
>     Subject: Re: [RC5] Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client
>     To: rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
>     Message-ID: <4B8F1930.3010907@...
>     <mailto:4B8F1930.3010907@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
> 
>     On 3/3/2010 19:54, Jeff Mohler wrote:
>      > And lastly..these eight cores (16 with hyperthreading) of 3.3ghz
>      > Nehalems, perform RC5 work slower, than my 8 non hyperthreaded 3.0Ghz
>      > Xeons..why is that?  I would have expected some speed increase.
> 
>     try turning off the hyperthreading and see what happens... CPU chips
>     can only do
>     so much... hyperthreading is not all it is cut out to be ;)
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 4
>     Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:35:26 +0200
>     From: "Lars Sahlmann" <lanisa@... <mailto:lanisa@...>>
>     Subject: [RC5] PS3 Linux EOL
>     To: rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
>     Message-ID: <20100329133526.166730@...
>     <mailto:20100329133526.166730@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
>     I hope sony just made an april fools joke on that.
> 
>     http://blog.eu.playstation.com/
> 
>     PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable
>     the ?Install Other OS? feature that was available on the PS3 systems
>     prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009.
>     This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due
>     to security concerns, we?re now removing this feature.
> 
>     For most of you, this won?t have any impact on how you use your PS3.
>     If you are one of the few who use the ?Other OS? feature, or if you
>     belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to
>     upgrade your system.
> 
>     -----------------
> 
>     ok at least you can choose not to install this update.
>     --
>     GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment f?r nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
>     http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 5
>     Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:08:19 +0200
>     From: Lars Sahlmann <lanisa@... <mailto:lanisa@...>>
>     Subject: [RC5] distributed.net <http://distributed.net> proxy
>     network status RC5
>     To: rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
>     Message-ID: <4BD298E3.2070502@... <mailto:4BD298E3.2070502@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
> 
>     Hi,
> 
>     looks like the proxies have a loot stuck WUs.
> 
>     proxy1.bris.qld.au <http://proxy1.bris.qld.au>
>     <http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.bris.qld.au.proxy.distributed.net>
>            kamy    0.8m    349     3.4mo   34,811.00       4999707/3110334
>     proxy1.aar.dk <http://proxy1.aar.dk>
>     <http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.aar.dk.proxy.distributed.net>
>            monsted         10.4m   349     2.8mo   34,910.30      
>     2000191/712354
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     proxy1.rwc.ca.us <http://proxy1.rwc.ca.us>
>     <http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy1.rwc.ca.us.proxy.distributed.net>
>            cdy     0.8m    349     1.9mo   203,315.00      2989914/946575
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>     proxy2.rwc.ca.us <http://proxy2.rwc.ca.us>
>     <http://n0cgi.distributed.net/cgi/mapping.cgi?host=proxy2.rwc.ca.us.proxy.distributed.net>
>            bang    13.5m   349     1.5w    150,928.30      4999963/655993
> 
> 
>     -------------- next part --------------
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>     URL:
>     http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/rc5/attachments/20100424/63342368/attachment-0001.html
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 6
>     Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 18:06:30 -0700
>     From: Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy@... <mailto:kgmccoy@...>>
>     Subject: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
>     To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5@...
>     <mailto:rc5@...>>
>     Message-ID: <4BE8AD96.8020104@...
>     <mailto:4BE8AD96.8020104@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed
> 
>     I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded from XP
>     to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any dnetc
>     client issues with this platform?
> 
>     I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install
>     manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe complains
>     about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged in as
>     domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.
> 
>     Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the client to
>     store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the client smart
>     enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on
>     Vista/Win 7?
> 
>     Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> 
>     Kevin G. McCoy
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 7
>     Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:17:12 +1000
>     From: Chris Jones <chrisj@...
>     <mailto:chrisj@...>>
>     Subject: Re: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
>     To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5@...
>     <mailto:rc5@...>>
>     Message-ID: <155d73873470e58626a3c7a6beafc60a@...
>     <mailto:155d73873470e58626a3c7a6beafc60a@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
>     Hi Kevin,
> 
>     You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
>     (Right-Click Command Prompt -> Run as Administrator).  UAC in Windows 7
>     means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default,
>     and you
>     need admin rights to install a service.
> 
>     Regards,
> 
>     Chris
> 
>     On Mon, 10 May 2010 18:06:30 -0700, Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy@...
>     <mailto:kgmccoy@...>>
>     wrote:
>      > I am having problems with workstations that have been upgraded
>     from XP
>      > to Win7 Professional, 32-bit.. Does anyone know if there are any
>     dnetc
>      > client issues with this platform?
>      >
>      > I am trying to install the client as a service. Normally I install
>      > manually using the -install parameter in XP, but now dnetc.exe
>     complains
> 
>      > about access-denied problems and quits. At the time I was logged
>     in as
>      > domain admin, so I don't think there should be any access issues.
>      >
>      > Are there any special INI settings I need to use to force the
>     client to
>      > store its files somewhere besides the EXE directory? Is the
>     client smart
> 
>      > enough to store its temp and log files in the app data directory on
>      > Vista/Win 7?
>      >
>      > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>      >
>      > Kevin G. McCoy
>      > _______________________________________________
>      > rc5 mailing list
>      > rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
>      > http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     Message: 8
>     Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:57:03 -0700
>     From: Kevin McCoy <kgmccoy@... <mailto:kgmccoy@...>>
>     Subject: Re: [RC5] dnetc vs Win 7 - install problems
>     To: "D.net Discussion" <rc5@...
>     <mailto:rc5@...>>
>     Message-ID: <4BE8E39F.50400@...
>     <mailto:4BE8E39F.50400@...>>
>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
>     On 5/10/2010 7:17 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>      > Hi Kevin,
>      >
>      > You may need to run that command from an elevated command prompt
>      > (Right-Click Command Prompt ->  Run as Administrator).  UAC in
>     Windows 7
>      > means that even domain admins aren't an administrator by default,
>     and you
>      > need admin rights to install a service.
>      >
> 
>     That makes sense. I successfully installed the dnet client on a 64 bit
>     Win7 box (mine). It probably worked because I am admin on my own box,
>     and domain admin on everyone Else's.
> 
>     I'll try remoting in as the machine admin tomorrow and see if I can't
>     complete the installs. I have a lot of machines to do!
> 
>     Best regards,
> 
>     Kevin G. McCoy
> 
> 
>     ------------------------------
> 
>     _______________________________________________
>     rc5 mailing list
>     rc5@... <mailto:rc5@...>
>     http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
> 
> 
>     End of rc5 Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1
>     **********************************
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> rc5 mailing list
> rc5@...
> http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2871 - Release Date: 05/12/10 23:26:00
> 

_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5

Lars Sahlmann | 14 May 11:34 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client

thanks for the information. Speed decrease roughly 5% on my i7 rig running together with ogr.I always
thought the second card dropped my top speed. 

Anyway HT gives a nice additional boost on OGR computation. iirc 25% on that rig. 

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 13 May 2010 15:58:40 -0700
> Von: Gerald Richter <glassman1 <at> neonshadow.net>
> An: "D.net Discussion" <rc5 <at> lists.distributed.net>
> Betreff: Re: [RC5] Windows Stream client doesnt like the normal client

> The stream and cuda clients both require 1 cpu thread free to feed them 
> in order to maintain top speed. I run the CPU client configured with 
> real CPU cores -1 parallel to the stream and cuda clients in my 
> environments.
> 
> Jonathan Dixon wrote:
> > I ran into the same problem running the CUDA client + normal client.  I 
> > have a GeForce GTX260 and Core i7.  I noticed that running the normal 
> > client would slow down the CUDA client enough that it wasn't worth 
> > running the normal client at all, but I hated to let a Core i7 sit 
> > virtually idle.  I had tried to increase the priority of the GPU client,
> > but it didn't seem to help any.  The solution I came up with was to 
> > manually set the core count on the normal client to one less than the 
> > maximum number of threads on the computer.  This prevented processes 
> > from moving from core to core, which slows them down a little, and also 
> > should prevent competition between the clients because there is always a
> > free core to keep feeding the GPU. 
> > 
> > I also agree with Waldo on the hyper-threading.  HT is great for single 
> > core CPUs and helps them multi-task better, but it has a negligible 
> > effect when the computer is already good at multi-tasking due to the 
> > number of cores.  Given that a little efficiency is lost when the 
> > computer moves processes to and from a specific core, it is counter 
> > productive to run two jobs on the same core that accomplish the same 
> > task as does HT.  HT is designed to reduce the effect, but if the 
> > computer is built to run RC5, it would be better just to not have the 
> > effect at all.  If RC5 is set to auto-detect thread count and HT is 
> > enabled, it will automatically assign two processes to every core.  Thus
> > HT would seem to degrade performance by inducing exactly what it is 
> > supposed to solve.  I don't think it is effective to leave HT running 
> > and manually set the cores to half because the the core time has already
> > been split and you are deciding to only use half of it.  Yes, I know. an
> > 8 threaded computer just isn't as cool as a 16 threaded computer.
> > 

--

-- 
GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5 <at> lists.distributed.net
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5
Bruce Slade | 14 May 16:00 2010
Picon

Editing User info

So does anyone know what is going on with the RC5/OGR database that 
stores the user info?  As it is, when you try to edit your user 
information you get the reply that "The server is currently undergoing 
maintenance.  As a result, you cannot currently edit your details. Sorry 
for any inconvenience."  However this has been going on for over a 
month.  Meanwhile can't change the user name to not show an email addy, 
or change to a team.  I sent a note to the help desk asking how long 
this would go on and the answer the person gave was that he didn't know 
but that it would probably be for a long time....   not much of a 
definitive answer really.  And nothing posted in the plans, etc.

_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5

Andrew Hime | 17 May 06:39 2010
Picon
Picon

with Stream, all things are possible

Yesterday, Stream for Windows became the number 3 platform by doing something like 7 million RC5 blocks in
one day. I haven't tracked the numbers for platforms #1 and 2, but I expect that Stream is gaining on them and
will eventually become #1.

Today, RC5 reached .8% complete. It took 2722 days - almost 7.5 years. At the current rate, we will reach 1%
complete within 5 months - by around October 22nd.

We need to get more ATI cards cracking RC5!

--
It only took 15 years for me to get a sig... to shamelessly promote my podcast. http://www.valuecube.com
_______________________________________________
rc5 mailing list
rc5@...
http://lists.distributed.net/mailman/listinfo/rc5


Gmane