Thomas Leonard | 2 Dec 14:11 2006
Picon

ROX-All 0.9

ROX-All 0.9 (a single archive containing launchers for most of the ROX
applications) has been released.

For more information, including package downloads, see:

  http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/ROX-All

Changes in 0.9:

- Added System (Ken Hayber), XAttr (Stephen Watson), WiFi (Cyrille Mars
  and Ken Hayber), ArmagetronAd (tron game) and Execute (Dennis Tomas).

- Memo can now run as an applet.

- Includes newer versions of 0launch.

As usual, if you think some program should be included then send us the
Zero Install interface URI and we can add it.

--

-- 
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6  8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Frank McCormick | 3 Dec 06:16 2006
Picon

Icons


One annoying thing about Rox when you have icons on the desktop is the fact
the same icon gets used when a program has to run in a terminal. For example I have Midnight Commander
setup on the desktop, but it takes the icon for the term program, instead of M-Cs icon. Is there a way around
this other
than wrapper scripts ?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Thomas Leonard | 3 Dec 13:35 2006
Picon

Zero2Bundle 0.1

Zero2Bundle 0.1 (create self-contained bundles from a Zero Install feed)
has been released.

You can install it by entering this URL into AddApp:

  http://rox.sourceforge.net/2006/interfaces/Zero2Bundle.xml

Zero2Bundle makes it easy to create self-contained ROX application
directories from Zero Install Injector feeds.

Note: normally, you would use AddApp rather than Zero2Bundle. AddApp
creates small launchers, which will download the application if
required and store it in the cache. The launchers will automatically
check for updates, run the correct binary for different platforms, and
share libraries. Zero2Bundle, by contrast, copies the program and all
required libraries into the created directory. This may be useful if
the target machine doesn't have a network connection, for example.

As with AddApp, you can use any Zero Install feed, not just ROX
software. In fact, it's less useful with ROX programs, because they're
supplied as application directories anyway!

Also, as a result of my new script for creating Zero Install feeds
from autopackages[1], you can therefore use this to get a ROX
application directory for programs like Stellarium:

  http://0install.net/2006/autopackage/Stellarium.xml

Plus, of course, all the other non-ROX Zero Install programs like
Inkscape and XaraXtreme (Artworks).
(Continue reading)

Frank McCormick | 9 Dec 07:02 2006
Picon

Re: Icons

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:16:20 -0500
Frank McCormick <fmccormick <at> videotron.ca> wrote:

> 
> One annoying thing about Rox when you have icons on the desktop is
> the fact the same icon gets used when a program has to run in a
> terminal. For example I have Midnight Commander setup on the desktop,
> but it takes the icon for the term program, instead of M-Cs icon. Is
> there a way around this other than wrapper scripts ?

   Let me put it another way - how do you setup a desktop icon for midnight commander without having it inherit the
icon for the term program you use ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
rox-users mailing list
rox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rox-users
Lennon Cook | 9 Dec 02:54 2006
Picon

AddApp and Rox not communicating

Starting yesterday, and persisting through a fresh install of XUbuntu
Edgy, AddApp has been unable to communicate with the filer. I enter a
URL into it (or drag it), and the normal 'Save this app somewhere'
dialog comes up - if I drag the icon to any folder, I get a dialogue up
saying 'Remote app can't or won't send me the data - sorry'.
What does this mean?
DND saving from other apps works fine, as does putting the full path
into AddApp. Clearing AddApp from my cache doesn't help.

--

-- 
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who
lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening" -- Thomas
Jefferson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
rox-users mailing list
rox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rox-users
Ken Hayber | 9 Dec 03:02 2006
Picon

Re: Icons

Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:16:20 -0500
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick <at> videotron.ca> wrote:
> 
>> One annoying thing about Rox when you have icons on the desktop is
>> the fact the same icon gets used when a program has to run in a
>> terminal. For example I have Midnight Commander setup on the desktop,
>> but it takes the icon for the term program, instead of M-Cs icon. Is
>> there a way around this other than wrapper scripts ?
> 
> 
> 
>    Let me put it another way - how do you setup a desktop icon for midnight commander without having it inherit the
> icon for the term program you use ?
> 

Built into ROX - none?
Use a .desktop file? (I think, but I haven't tried it)
Create a wrapper AppDir (using AppFactory makes this very simple)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Thomas Leonard | 9 Dec 12:58 2006
Picon

Re: AddApp and Rox not communicating

On 12/9/06, Lennon Cook <maguswizardo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Starting yesterday, and persisting through a fresh install of XUbuntu
> Edgy, AddApp has been unable to communicate with the filer. I enter a
> URL into it (or drag it), and the normal 'Save this app somewhere'
> dialog comes up - if I drag the icon to any folder, I get a dialogue up
> saying 'Remote app can't or won't send me the data - sorry'.
> What does this mean?

It means that AddApp (using ROX-Lib) thinks that the filer asked it to
save to a different machine. It can't do this, because it needs to
save a directory, not a single file.

Is the filer's "Don't use hostnames" option turned off?

> DND saving from other apps works fine, as does putting the full path
> into AddApp. Clearing AddApp from my cache doesn't help.

Try extracting an archive with Archive (this also creates a directory).

--

-- 
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6  8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Thomas Leonard | 9 Dec 13:01 2006
Picon

Re: Icons

On 12/9/06, Frank McCormick <fmccormick <at> videotron.ca> wrote:
[...]
>  Let me put it another way - how do you setup a desktop icon for midnight
> commander without having it inherit the
> icon for the term program you use ?

Right-click on the icon you want to change and choose "Set Icon..."
from the menu.

(or use the .desktop file instead of the binary)

--

-- 
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6  8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Lennon Cook | 9 Dec 13:06 2006
Picon

Re: AddApp and Rox not communicating

"Thomas Leonard" <talex5 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> It means that AddApp (using ROX-Lib) thinks that the filer asked it to
> save to a different machine. It can't do this, because it needs to
> save a directory, not a single file.
> 
> Is the filer's "Don't use hostnames" option turned off?
Indeed it was. I don't suppose it's possible to fix this, or atleast
document this somewhere? I've no doubt someone will run into this same
problem a few months down the track - and I'm not entirely sure it
won't be me...

--

-- 
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who
lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening" -- Thomas
Jefferson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
rox-users mailing list
rox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rox-users
Thomas Leonard | 9 Dec 13:23 2006
Picon

Re: AddApp and Rox not communicating

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 23:06:12 +1100, Lennon Cook wrote:

> "Thomas Leonard" <talex5 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> It means that AddApp (using ROX-Lib) thinks that the filer asked it to
>> save to a different machine. It can't do this, because it needs to
>> save a directory, not a single file.
>> 
>> Is the filer's "Don't use hostnames" option turned off?
> Indeed it was. I don't suppose it's possible to fix this, or atleast
> document this somewhere? I've no doubt someone will run into this same
> problem a few months down the track - and I'm not entirely sure it
> won't be me...

The real question is why ROX-Lib thinks the local machine is remote.
Have a look in ROX-Lib's saving.py:

	path = get_local_path(escape(uri))
	if path:
		...
	else:
		to_send = 'F'	# Non-local transfer

What does escape(uri) return, and why does get_local_path think it's
remote?

--

-- 
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net
GPG: 9242 9807 C985 3C07 44A6  8B9A AE07 8280 59A5 3CC1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Continue reading)


Gmane