Database Engineer Role at Paperless Post
2011-11-07 15:27:11 GMT
Postgres Developers & Fans -
Our open loft headquarters are in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, and we have a small second office in San Francisco. We care about pushing technology to its limits and creating a product that people actually use. We like to take ownership over our work, solve hard problems, and hang out with the occasional office dog. We don't like brilliant jerks, endless meetings, or ads. We're financially backed but also have a strong revenue model.
We are seeking a Database Engineer to develop creative solutions for storing and using data in a highly interactive, fast growing web application. In this role you will solve challenging problems working with our development and operations teams to protect and improve one of our most important assets - our data. You’ll use a variety of technologies, including PostgreSQL, Redis, Sphinx, Memcache, and any others that emerge as the best tool for the job. You’ll work with meaningful information that powers a product with which over ten million people interact.
- Design and evolve data structures throughout our Postgres and Ruby on Rails application, including use of the ActiveRecord object-relational mapper
- Build reporting tools and write code to help members of our product and management team make data-driven decisions
- Maintain and improve data access tools for technical and non-technical team members
Work at the intersection of a variety of data storage systems and applications
- Working knowledge of SQL for standard CRUD operations
- Working knowledge of SQL aggregate functions
- Comfort with database execution/explain plans and tuning SQL queries
- Strong interest in database internals and effective algorithms
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with Ruby or at least one modern programming or scripting language
Experience working with relational databases in a full-time, product-focused environment
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL internals, e.g. MVCC, statistics
- Working knowledge of SQL aggregates including conditional aggregates, correlated subqueries, and/or window functions
- Experience with database replication
To Apply:Please send your resume and cover letter to database_engineer <at> paperlesspost.com.
Vanessa Hurst | PaperlessPost.com | 151 W 25th St, New York, NY 10001