Database Administrator (Postgresql)
Keywords: Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server, UNIX, Linux
With offices across the globe, the Enterprise Technologies team rises to the challenge of creating a technological environment that enables and empowers Advisory Board employees to leverage technology to access information, collaborate
and efficiently meet the growing needs of our members. The team develops, implements, and supports the firm's technology agenda by designing, developing and integrating new information technology systems, coordinating and providing training, negotiating and
managing information technology related contracts, and providing technology assistance and support
The current opening is based in in Washington, DC.
As a member of the Enterprise Technologies, Enterprise Data Management team, the DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent
performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, along with troubleshooting and communications skills.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage Postgres and other open source databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems, for applications with data warehouse and OLTP components
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems on an on-call rotation basis
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Assist developers with complex query tuning, schema refinement and index management
- Assist in development of project plans and task lists
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to peers
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of professional experience
- Experience operating a large scale production database environment
- Technical and troubleshooting skills with relational databases (Postgres, Mysql)
- Experience in independently performing root cause analysis and coming up with recommendations
- Experience in performance tuning, query optimization, replication techniques, clustering, LDAP authentication, partitioning and security issues
- Experience with backups, restores, recovery
- Experience with database security concepts, including access, auditing, and encryption.
- Knowledge and experience in Open Source solutions to include vetting patches, applying patches to the database and the open source tools, libraries, and daemons.
- Knowledge of High Availability and Disaster Recovery for Postgres and Mysql
- SQL Development (psql and tsql) experience with ability to write and troubleshoot SQL code (stored procedures, functions, tables, indexes, constraints)
- Experience with system monitoring tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Professional experience as a DBA working on Window and Linux platforms
- Experience with logical and physical data modeling
- Postgres certification
- Knowledge of Industry standard ETL and BI tools and exposure to data warehousing architectures, service oriented architectures.
- Experience in healthcare or a HIPAA compliant environment including data de-identification
- Database operations experience in an Agile development environment
- Experience with other relational databases (SQL Server or Oracle) or NoSQL databases.
- Ability to lead others as well as guide and mentor less experienced personnel
- Ability to troubleshoot problems that arise
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task between different activities and teams
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written
Perks (A Few Of Many):
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service (up to 10 hours a month)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here
The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO) is a global technology, research and consulting firm partnering with 150,000 leaders in 3,700+ organizations across health care and higher education. We combine the expertise of our 2,200+ employees
around the world to find solutions to the most pressing challenges in health care. Our performance technology products offer user-friendly, Web-enabled dashboard platforms with tremendous analytic capabilities that generate more than $500 million in realized
value annually for our members. These solutions focus on strategically important areas, including physician alignment, revenue cycle, accountable care, and surgical profitability. We thrive on innovation and the knowledge that we are creating real change in
an industry that matters to everyone.
Connect with Us
Community Impact Twitter
We are an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
If interested please apply online:
or email Katie Gray at grayk <at> advisory.com a copy of your resume