Clive Gould | 1 Jan 13:47 2011
Picon

DSpace 1.7.0 and LDAP authentication

Has anyone got hierarchical LDAP authentication working with DSpace 1.7.0?

It works fine for us with 1.6.2 but not with 1.7.0

This is somewhat hypothetical at present as problems with the
PostgreSQL upgrade on CentOS 5.5 from 8.1.22 to 8.2.4 broke other
server services and I had to restore from a backup made before the
upgrade :(

When I get time I will try again...

Thanks

Clive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Clive Gould | 1 Jan 14:08 2011
Picon

Re: Problem with upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0

Hi everyone

A word of warning from a relative novice ;)

I managed to upgrade PostgreSQL to 8.2.4 on CentOS 5.5 and the DSpace
1.7.0 index-init script ran fine :)

Unfortunately the PostgreSQL upgrade broke a lot of essential system
services, so I had to restore the entire build on the test server from
a backup made before the upgrade :((

I'll try again when I can find some more time...

Best wishes

Clive

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Clive Gould <cliveg@...> wrote:
> Hi Keith
>
> I've just checked and CentOS 5 uses postgresql 8.1.2
>
> This means I need to upgrade PostgreSQL before going any further.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Clive
>
>
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Keith Gilbertson
(Continue reading)

Clive Gould | 2 Jan 14:13 2011
Picon

Re: Space 1.7.0 and special groups

Hi

After a restore from backup and repeating the upgrade process from the
beginning DSpace 1.7.0 now works with LDAP authentication :)

I have blogged the entire process in case it helps anyone else upgrade
at http://dspacebromley.blogspot.com/

Best wishes

Clive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Domingo Iglesias | 3 Jan 15:26 2011

DRIVER & OAI Extended Addon v2

Hello

I'm trying to setup the OAI Extended Addon v.2 with the 1.6.2 version of

dspace
(http://projecto.rcaap.pt/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=2&func=fileinfo&id=321&lang=en 
<http://projecto.rcaap.pt/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=2&func=fileinfo&id=321&lang=en>)
to deal with the DRIVER directives (http://www.driver-repository.eu 
<http://www.driver-repository.eu>).
In fact, I tried the setup with the previous version of both the dspace 
and the addon with similar results.

I have followed the install doc but when running maven I get the 
following error:

[INFO] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building DSpace OAI Extended :: Web Application
[INFO]    task-segment: [package]
[INFO] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered resources.
Downloading:

http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/dspace/dspace-oaiextended-webapp/1.6.2/dspace-oaiextended-webapp-1.6.2.pom 
<http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/dspace/dspace-oaiextended-webapp/1.6.2/dspace-oaiextended-webapp-1.6.2.pom>
Downloading:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/dspace/dspace-oaiextended-webapp/1.6.2/dspace-oaiextended-webapp-1.6.2.pom 
(Continue reading)

Tim Donohue | 3 Jan 16:20 2011

Re: table bi_item

Sergio,

The 'bi_item' table is auto-generated by the [dspace]/bin/index-init 
script.  It is one of the table(s) that acts as the browse-by index in 
DSpace 1.5.x.

To regenerate that table, you can do the following:
* Stop Tomcat
* Run '[dspace]/bin/index-init'  - this will drop all old "bi_*" tables 
and recreate them.
* Start Tomcat

I hope that helps!

- Tim

On 12/29/2010 7:38 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found that I've lost data from bi_item. Could you tell me how is
> that table generated? Can I fix that? I am using dspace 1.5.1 on
> postgresql (migrated from 1.4.x)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
(Continue reading)

Tim Donohue | 3 Jan 16:31 2011

Re: changes to core code not reflected

Hello,

There are a few good resources/talks which describe in detail how best 
to apply customizations to DSpace JSPUI.

Here's a few in particular that you may want to read:

* DSpace Course: http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/dspace/handle/2160/615
    - Has great details about using DSpace, and an entire section on 
customizations. Although it was written for 1.5.x, the section on 
customizations is also applicable for DSpace 1.6.x and 1.7

* Making DSpace (XMLUI) Your Own: 
http://www.slideshare.net/tdonohue/making-dspace-xmlui-your-own
    - Gives an overview of how to use Maven Overlays to your advantage 
in DSpace 1.5 and above. although it concentrates more on XMLUI, it also 
covers some basic JSPUI customizations.

There are additional resources/how-to's on our wiki at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpaceResources#DSpaceResources-Guides

Hopefully one of those resources can provide you with hints/tips on how 
to get your customizations for ItemTag.java to work properly.  If you 
still have issues after reading those, please send us a followup email 
to this listserv detailing the exact steps you are taking.

Good luck!

- Tim

(Continue reading)

Picon

Re: Question about replacement of special characters in XML

Here’s an example of a portion of a title I’m having problems with.  This is how the title is supposed to look:

 

…results for 13CH4 at 7 μm…

 

 

Even if I edit the item and copy and paste the text into the title, this is how it ends up looking in DSpace:

 

…Results for 13CH4 at 7 {mu}m…

 

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

(757) 224-4074

 

 

From: Allen Lam [mailto:allen.dspace <at> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:29 PM
To: dspace-tech <at> lists.sourceforge.net; Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special characters in XML

 

Hi Sue,

It is not necessary to convert all chars into html reference, except for a few special chars not usable in xml.
All you need is to define and save the xml file in utf-8.

Appended an example file with some special chars in its original form. Open it in a browser.
(don't know can this mailing list retain the appended file)

Best,
Allen Lam.
HKU Scholars Hub Administrator, http://hub.hku.hk


On 2010-12-30 10:22 AM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES] wrote:

Hi,

     We are working on an interface between a legacy system and DSpace 1.5.1 and I keep running into problems with special characters in the text.  NASA research documents have lots of different special characters in them – some of them are common ones such as the degree symbol - ° and some of them are more uncommon ones such as “right ceiling” -   (see http://myhandbook.info/codes_htmlchr.html for a pretty good list of symbols and their equivalent “character references”).  The interface is fairly new and so far we’ve just been adding code to the extract program that outputs an xml file, to replace the special character or symbol with the equivalent “character reference” as we identify them.  Inevitably though, the program is going to abend when it finds a symbol we haven’t coded for and we’re going to have to keep changing it to replace new symbols.

 

     I did some Googling today, trying to find an already-existing JAVA method or class that replaces symbols with the equivalent character reference, hoping that I don’t have to write one myself, but so far have not found one.  Does anyone know of one?

 

Thanks in advance,

Sue

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

SGT, Inc.|130 Research Drive

Hampton, Va.  23666

Office: (757) 224-4074

Mobile: (757) 506-9903

Fax: (757) 224-4001

susan.m.thornton <at> nasa.gov

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers

to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and,

should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database

without downtime or disruption

http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

 

 

_______________________________________________

DSpace-tech mailing list

DSpace-tech <at> lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tech

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Picon

Re: Question about replacement of special characters in XML

This is interesting too.  When I edit the item in DSpace 1.5.1 and copy the correct title into the input text box, it ends up looking like this on both the “Edit item” screen and the DSpace long listing page:

 

First results for 13CH4 at 7 μm           ç Note the Greek letter after the 7 is displaying correctly, but the 13 is no longer a superscript and the 4 is no longer a subscript.

 

But when I look at the title on the Item page (Short listing), this is how it looks:

 

First Results for 13CH4 at 7 {mu}m    ç Note the Greek letter after the 7 is now displaying as {mu}.

 

 

Is there anything I can do to correct this in DSpace?

 

Thanks,

Sue

 

 

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

(757) 224-4074

 

 

From: Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 11:25 AM
To: 'Allen Lam'; dspace-tech <at> lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special characters in XML

 

Here’s an example of a portion of a title I’m having problems with.  This is how the title is supposed to look:

 

…results for 13CH4 at 7 μm…

 

 

Even if I edit the item and copy and paste the text into the title, this is how it ends up looking in DSpace:

 

…Results for 13CH4 at 7 {mu}m…

 

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

(757) 224-4074

 

 

From: Allen Lam [mailto:allen.dspace <at> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:29 PM
To: dspace-tech <at> lists.sourceforge.net; Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special characters in XML

 

Hi Sue,

It is not necessary to convert all chars into html reference, except for a few special chars not usable in xml.
All you need is to define and save the xml file in utf-8.

Appended an example file with some special chars in its original form. Open it in a browser.
(don't know can this mailing list retain the appended file)

Best,
Allen Lam.
HKU Scholars Hub Administrator, http://hub.hku.hk


On 2010-12-30 10:22 AM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES] wrote:

Hi,

     We are working on an interface between a legacy system and DSpace 1.5.1 and I keep running into problems with special characters in the text.  NASA research documents have lots of different special characters in them – some of them are common ones such as the degree symbol - ° and some of them are more uncommon ones such as “right ceiling” -   (see http://myhandbook.info/codes_htmlchr.html for a pretty good list of symbols and their equivalent “character references”).  The interface is fairly new and so far we’ve just been adding code to the extract program that outputs an xml file, to replace the special character or symbol with the equivalent “character reference” as we identify them.  Inevitably though, the program is going to abend when it finds a symbol we haven’t coded for and we’re going to have to keep changing it to replace new symbols.

 

     I did some Googling today, trying to find an already-existing JAVA method or class that replaces symbols with the equivalent character reference, hoping that I don’t have to write one myself, but so far have not found one.  Does anyone know of one?

 

Thanks in advance,

Sue

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

SGT, Inc.|130 Research Drive

Hampton, Va.  23666

Office: (757) 224-4074

Mobile: (757) 506-9903

Fax: (757) 224-4001

susan.m.thornton <at> nasa.gov

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers

to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and,

should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database

without downtime or disruption

http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

 

 

_______________________________________________

DSpace-tech mailing list

DSpace-tech <at> lists.sourceforge.net

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tech

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Picon

Media filter for .ppt files?

Happy New Year!

     Does anyone know if there is a Media filter for Powerpoint presentations (.ppt)?  I just ran a query against my DSpace 1.5.1 repository and found that we have only 17 documents that are not full text searchable and these are all Powerpoint presentations.

Thanks,

Sue

 

 

 

Sue Walker-Thornton

Software Developer/Database Administrator

NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract

SGT, Inc.|130 Research Drive

Hampton, Va.  23666

Office: (757) 224-4074

Mobile: (757) 506-9903

Fax: (757) 224-4001

susan.m.thornton-NSQ8wuThN14@public.gmane.org

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Laurie Nelson | 3 Jan 18:27 2011

Re: Question about replacement of special characters in XML

Sue,

Is your tomcat server.xml set to utf-8?

Laurie Nelson
REAP Administrator
SIL International

On 1/3/2011 11:15 AM, dspace-tech-request@... wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:31:03 -0600
> From: "Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]"
> 	<susan.m.thornton@...>
> Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special
> 	characters in XML
> To: Allen Lam<allen.dspace@...>,
> 	"dspace-tech@..."
> 	<dspace-tech@...>
> Message-ID:
> 	<03DE6124B1F32240B3692ED5E591ED16052EED2583@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> This is interesting too.  When I edit the item in DSpace 1.5.1 and copy the correct title into the input text
box, it ends up looking like this on both the ?Edit item? screen and the DSpace long listing page:
>
> First results for 13CH4 at 7 ?m<== Note the Greek letter after the 7 is displaying correctly, but the 13 is no
longer a superscript and the 4 is no longer a subscript.
>
> But when I look at the title on the Item page (Short listing), this is how it looks:
>
> First Results for 13CH4 at 7 {mu}m<== Note the Greek letter after the 7 is now displaying as {mu}.
>
>
> Is there anything I can do to correct this in DSpace?
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>
>
>
>
>
> Sue Walker-Thornton
> Software Developer/Database Administrator
> NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract
> (757) 224-4074
>
>
> From: Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
> Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 11:25 AM
> To: 'Allen Lam'; dspace-tech@...
> Subject: RE: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special characters in XML
>
> Here?s an example of a portion of a title I?m having problems with.  This is how the title is supposed to look:
>
> ?results for 13CH4 at 7 ?m?
>
>
> Even if I edit the item and copy and paste the text into the title, this is how it ends up looking in DSpace:
>
> ?Results for 13CH4 at 7 {mu}m?
>
>
>
>
> Sue Walker-Thornton
> Software Developer/Database Administrator
> NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract
> (757) 224-4074
>
>
> From: Allen Lam [mailto:allen.dspace@...]
> Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:29 PM
> To: dspace-tech@...; Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
> Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Question about replacement of special characters in XML
>
> Hi Sue,
>
> It is not necessary to convert all chars into html reference, except for a few special chars not usable in xml.
> All you need is to define and save the xml file in utf-8.
>
> Appended an example file with some special chars in its original form. Open it in a browser.
> (don't know can this mailing list retain the appended file)
>
> Best,
> Allen Lam.
> HKU Scholars Hub Administrator, http://hub.hku.hk
>
>
> On 2010-12-30 10:22 AM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>       We are working on an interface between a legacy system and DSpace 1.5.1 and I keep running into problems
with special characters in the text.  NASA research documents have lots of different special characters
in them ? some of them are common ones such as the degree symbol - ? and some of them are more uncommon ones such
as ?right ceiling? - ?  (see http://myhandbook.info/codes_htmlchr.html for a pretty good list of
symbols and their equivalent ?character references?).  The interface is fairly new and so far we?ve just
been adding code to the extract program that outputs an xml file, to replace the special character or
symbol with the equivalent ?character reference? as we identify them.  Inevitably though, the program is
going to abend when it finds a symbol we haven?t coded for a
 nd we?re going to have to keep changing it to replace new symbols.
>
>
>
>       I did some Googling today, trying to find an already-existing JAVA method or class that replaces symbols
with the equivalent character reference, hoping that I don?t have to write one myself, but so far have not
found one.  Does anyone know of one?
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sue
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sue Walker-Thornton
>
> Software Developer/Database Administrator
>
> NASA Langley Research Center|LITES Contract
>
> SGT, Inc.|130 Research Drive
>
> Hampton, Va.  23666
>
> Office: (757) 224-4074
>
> Mobile: (757) 506-9903
>
> Fax: (757) 224-4001
>
> susan.m.thornton@...<mailto:susan.m.thornton@...>
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn how Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) One Node allows customers
to consolidate database storage, standardize their database environment, and, 
should the need arise, upgrade to a full multi-node Oracle RAC database 
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl

Gmane