XZ Utils 5.0.8 and 5.2.0
XZ Utils 5.0.8 and 5.2.0 are available at <http://tukaani.org/xz/>.
Here is an extract from the NEWS file:
* Fixed an old bug in xzgrep that affected OpenBSD and probably
a few other operating systems too.
* Updated French and German translations.
* Added support for detecting the amount of RAM on AmigaOS/AROS.
* Minor build system updates.
* All fixes from 5.0.8
* liblzma: Fixed lzma_stream_encoder_mt_memusage() when a preset
* xzdiff: If mktemp isn't installed, mkdir will be used as
a fallback to create a temporary directory. Installing mktemp
is still recommended.
* Updated French, German, Italian, Polish, and Vietnamese
Summary of fixes and new features added in the 5.1.x development
- Added support for multi-threaded compression. See the
lzma_mt structure, lzma_stream_encoder_mt(), and
lzma_stream_encoder_mt_memusage() in <lzma/container.h>,
lzma_get_progress() in <lzma/base.h>, and lzma_cputhreads()
in <lzma/hardware.h> for details.
- Made the uses of lzma_allocator const correct.
- Added lzma_block_uncomp_encode() to create uncompressed
.xz Blocks using LZMA2 uncompressed chunks.
- Added support for LZMA_IGNORE_CHECK.
- A few speed optimizations were made.
- Added support for symbol versioning. It is enabled by default
on GNU/Linux, other GNU-based systems, and FreeBSD.
- liblzma (not the whole XZ Utils) should now be buildable
with MSVC 2013 update 2 or later using windows/config.h.
- Fixed a race condition in the signal handling. It was
possible that e.g. the first SIGINT didn't make xz exit
if reading or writing blocked and one had bad luck. The fix
is non-trivial, so as of writing it is unknown if it will be
backported to the v5.0 branch.
- Multi-threaded decompression can be enabled with the
--threads (-T) option.
- New command line options in xz: --single-stream,
--flush-timeout=TIMEOUT, and --ignore-check.
- xz -lvv now shows the minimum xz version that is required to
decompress the file. Currently it is 5.0.0 for all supported
.xz files except files with empty LZMA2 streams require 5.0.2.
* xzdiff and xzgrep now support .lzo files if lzop is installed.
The .tzo suffix is also recognized as a shorthand for .tar.lzo.
Lasse Collin | IRC: Larhzu <at> IRCnet & Freenode