[Tiki-devel] Themes marketplace at themes.t.o
Gary Cunningham-Lee <gary_c@...
2015-10-01 03:55:12 GMT
Thinking about the Tiki project sites, Nelson and I have been talking
about revamping themes.tiki.org by giving it a focus as a themes
marketplace (in addition to theme-related documentation, etc.). This
would facilitate contributing themes to and finding themes for Tiki. I
know some other people also have been thinking along these lines.
At one time there was quite a bit of activity at themes.t.o, with new
"aftermarket" themes being made and people posting in the forums about
how to use themes and so on, but for several years it's been pretty
quiet. The reasons are probably that questions about themes have been
posted at the community site instead and, due to time constraints in the
past (at least in my case), the flow of new themes slowed to zero.
Situations have changed now, though, so it's a good time to give the
site a new mission. These are tentative ideas (feel free to give input):
* The site will be a marketplace for Tiki themes, as well as a theme
* Trackers will be used to store and display theme information.
* Themes will be listed with screenshots, specs, and other information,
but not hosted (that is, not installed at themes.t.o).
* To see a demo of the theme, there will be a link to the author's site.
* Both free and commercial themes can be listed.
* There should be minimal requirements/standards for the theme.
* Themes (file packages) could be simple (just a bootstrap.css file with
new values) or complex (CSS and Less files, icons, fonts, and templates,
* Since the "simple" themes are actually bootstrap.css equivalents, the
site could also be a source of Bootstrap themes for general use (I don't
know if this should be promoted, but it could be a way to expose people
* The license is up to the author, in contrast to themes for some platforms.
* Tentative time to get it all operational is around the Tiki 15 release
date, I'd say.
* Other suggestions?
To compare hosting/demoing approaches, for Drupal, theme authors are
strongly encouraged to host their theme at drupal.org
(https://www.drupal.org/node/14208). On the other hand, the WordPress
site has a themes area but themes can be hosted anywhere
(https://wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/) and linked to from the
To have some inventory when the marketplace opens, I've got a dozen or
so themes in the pipeline myself, including new versions of a few themes
that were previously available for Tiki, like Tikipedia, and some
adaptations of Bootstrap themes that are pretty different from what's in
Anyone wanting to have a theme listed there to promote your own business
or to add to Tiki's theme selection, please plan on doing that, as well
as giving your suggestions about the site. There's still some