Christian Sylvestre | 2 Jan 21:55 2007

Re: Validation of Fields in a dialog?

I have never really used the EL. It does seems quite straightforward.

However a code snippet would "still" be welcome.

And, Happy New Year!

Christian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: user-list@...
[mailto:user-list@...] 
> Sent: December 20, 2006 19:20
> To: user-list@...
> Subject: Re: [magnolia-user] Validation of Fields in a dialog?
> 
> 
> This doesn't directly answer your question, but you could 
> check for it in your template using jsp - and the EL. If you 
> need help figuring out how to do that, let me know and I can 
> write you up a quick code snippet...
> 
> It's not nearly as pretty as validating in the dialog, but at 
> least you would be able to provide the editors with a note or 
> a message on the page indicating that there was an error 
> prior to them activating the page...
> 
> Ryan
> 
>  
> 
(Continue reading)

john.mcclain | 3 Jan 02:17 2007

MS Sql Server and repository - please help

Howdy - I have been diligently trying multiple ways to get a fast and 
reliable repository going - yes I know fast is relative, so I'll give some 
stats

I configured a DataSourcePersistenceManager/Jboss/SqlServer environment. 
Bootstrap took around 1.5 hours each for author and public = 3 hours! It 
finally did complete with no errors in the log files
I configured a SimpleDbPersistenceManager/jboss/SqlServer envronment. 
Bootstrap is running now and we have passed the 15 minute mark and we are 
still in Author with a lot of processing to go.

I am running JBOSS locally and sqlserver remotely over the network. How 
can I debug what the problem is? Has anyone ever gotten a 
jboss/sqlserver/XpersistenceManager install to run?

We are doing this because we have had problems using the 
filePersistenceManager, AND we wnated our content in a DB. What are the 
alternatives for SQL Server that don't employ the Enterprise Edition?

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Smith | 3 Jan 05:34 2007

Re: MS Sql Server and repository - please help

I've bootstrapped to a database a few times in tests and the response 
has always been faster than that.  On a very under-powered laptop w/ 
WinXP SP2, it took no more than 30 minutes to a mysql db on the same 
system.  On a decent linux server system it took less than a minute.  I 
expected the difference given the severe increase in OS overhead and 
much smaller system memory.  The system swap got involved and that kill 
the performance. 

Some thing in your system is taking waaaayyy longer than it should.  If 
I were you, I'd be looking at:

1. Network issues (DNS, firewalls, etc., ...) between tomcat and the db 
server.
2. Db driver performance (I've heard the MS supplied MS SQL JDBC driver 
is very slow and there are faster third party drivers).
3. System resources.  Be sure there is sufficient resources to prevent 
Windows from swapping during the bootstrap.  You may need to tune down 
your JVM memory allocation if it in addition to the memory requirements 
of the rest of the system forces the system swap.

Windows performance monitor, SysInternal's TCPMon, and SysInternal's 
Process Explorer are all excellent tools for analyzing system 
performance issues.  There are also excellent tomcat performance 
monitoring tools if it looks like Tomcat or Magnolia are at fault.

--David

john.mcclain wrote:
> Howdy - I have been diligently trying multiple ways to get a fast and 
> reliable repository going - yes I know fast is relative, so I'll give some 
(Continue reading)

Anthony Ogier | 3 Jan 15:06 2007

Re: datasourcepersistencemanager / jboss/ sqlserver problem

Okay, all your parameters seem to be good.
We never tried the DSPM with jboss nor SQLServer, but, by looking at the 
stack, I'm concluding that the java driver for MSSQL does not implement 
the supportsStatementPooling()  method, so I think that if you force the 
optimizedServerSidePreparedStatement to "true" or "false" (by testing 
which is the fastest parameter) that will bypass the auto-detection 
system and consequently, won't crash like that.
Cheers,
    Anthony

John McClain a écrit :
> Howdy - I am trying to get Anthony Ogiers datasourcepersistencemanager to
> work with jackrabbit. I am using sqlserver as my datasource in jboss4.0.4ga
> I have configured the following:
>
> 1) Jackrabbit-mssql-search.xml - this is a copy of
> jackrabbit-mysql-search.xml from WEB-INF/config/repo-conf that I tweeked to
> use DataSourcePersistenceManager, i.e.,
> <PersistenceManager
> class="com.iorgagroup.jackrabbit.core.state.db.DataSourcePersistenceManager"
>   
>             <!--<param name="dataSourceLocation"
> value="java:comp/env/jdbc/magnoliaAuthor"/>--> <!--- This did not work, so I
> looked at jmx-console and found that db was jndified at the following: -->
>  <param name="dataSourceLocation" value="java:jdbc/magnoliaAuthor"/>
> <param name="schemaObjectPrefix" value="${wsp.name}_"/>
>           <param name="externalBLOBs" value="false"/>
>           <param name="schema" value="mssql"/>
> 	  <!--<param name="optimizedServerSidePreparedStatement"
> value="true"/>-->
(Continue reading)

Anthony Ogier | 3 Jan 15:10 2007

Re: MS Sql Server and repository - please help

Moreover, I'll add that we created DSPM to counter a problem with the 
SimpleDbPM and MySQL (the famous "broken pipe" problem ... look at the 
archive of the mailing list) and now, it is working greatly with that DB 
(MySQL) on both Linux and Windows.
    Anthony

David Smith a écrit :
> I've bootstrapped to a database a few times in tests and the response 
> has always been faster than that.  On a very under-powered laptop w/ 
> WinXP SP2, it took no more than 30 minutes to a mysql db on the same 
> system.  On a decent linux server system it took less than a minute.  
> I expected the difference given the severe increase in OS overhead and 
> much smaller system memory.  The system swap got involved and that 
> kill the performance.
> Some thing in your system is taking waaaayyy longer than it should.  
> If I were you, I'd be looking at:
>
> 1. Network issues (DNS, firewalls, etc., ...) between tomcat and the 
> db server.
> 2. Db driver performance (I've heard the MS supplied MS SQL JDBC 
> driver is very slow and there are faster third party drivers).
> 3. System resources.  Be sure there is sufficient resources to prevent 
> Windows from swapping during the bootstrap.  You may need to tune down 
> your JVM memory allocation if it in addition to the memory 
> requirements of the rest of the system forces the system swap.
>
> Windows performance monitor, SysInternal's TCPMon, and SysInternal's 
> Process Explorer are all excellent tools for analyzing system 
> performance issues.  There are also excellent tomcat performance 
> monitoring tools if it looks like Tomcat or Magnolia are at fault.
(Continue reading)

Harold CAPITAINE | 3 Jan 17:48 2007

[activation] Activate content after modification

Hi list,

I have a little problem with the activation mechanism.
I've created a page thanks the website page.
Then I used the jcr tools and I added a content node under my page with 
some data nodes.
I tried to activate it under website page, then I went to inbox and I 
proceeded. But unfortunately it doesn't send the activation request to 
the public.

If I try to create a page without adding node with the jcr tools, and 
activate it, it works fine.
Why is there a problem if I add content manually?

Thanks for your answer.

CAPITAINE Harold

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Brock | 3 Jan 18:32 2007

correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic" in url

Hey everyone.

In order to use www.mydomain.com/information instead of
www.mydomain.com/magnoliaPubic, I added the following line to my Tomcat
conf/server.xml. If I understood Sameer correctly, this is incorrect and
could cause memory issues. How have others accomplished this  in Tomcat
(not Apache mod_rewrite)? 

<Context path="/information" docBase="magnoliaPublic"
allowLinking="true"/> 

Thanks in advance,

Ben Brock

----------------------------------------------------------------
Grégory Joseph | 3 Jan 18:37 2007

Re: correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic" in url

Ben,

That's one correct way to do it, but i would advise to move the  
webapp outside of the webapps directory to avoid that tomcat deploys  
it twice; something along the lines of
<Context path="/information" docBase="${catalina.home}/ 
deployedwebapps/magnoliaPublic"/>

... however, why don't you simply rename the magnoliaPublic war or  
directory ?

HTH,

g

On Jan 3, 2007, at 18:32 , Ben Brock wrote:

> Hey everyone.
>
> In order to use www.mydomain.com/information instead of
> www.mydomain.com/magnoliaPubic, I added the following line to my  
> Tomcat
> conf/server.xml. If I understood Sameer correctly, this is  
> incorrect and
> could cause memory issues. How have others accomplished this  in  
> Tomcat
> (not Apache mod_rewrite)?
>
> <Context path="/information" docBase="magnoliaPublic"
> allowLinking="true"/>
(Continue reading)

Ben Brock | 3 Jan 18:59 2007

Re: correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic" in url

Incredible! I can't believe it was as easy as renaming the folder. I had
to reactivate the pages to change the cached context root paths, but it
worked otherwise. I thought I read that "magnoliaPublic" was hardcoded
into some configurations previously, so I didn't think to try it.

Thanks for your help! 

Regards,

Ben 

-----Original Message-----
From: user-list@...
[mailto:user-list@...] 
Sent: 03 January 2007 17:38
To: user-list@...
Subject: Re: [magnolia-user] correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic" in url

Ben,

That's one correct way to do it, but i would advise to move the webapp
outside of the webapps directory to avoid that tomcat deploys it twice;
something along the lines of <Context path="/information"
docBase="${catalina.home}/ deployedwebapps/magnoliaPublic"/>

... however, why don't you simply rename the magnoliaPublic war or
directory ?

HTH,

(Continue reading)

Grégory Joseph | 3 Jan 19:04 2007

Re: correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic" in url


On Jan 3, 2007, at 18:59 , Ben Brock wrote:

> Incredible! I can't believe it was as easy as renaming the folder.  
> I had
> to reactivate the pages to change the cached context root paths,  
> but it
> worked otherwise. I thought I read that "magnoliaPublic" was hardcoded
> into some configurations previously, so I didn't think to try it.

On the top of my head, the subscriber of the author instance is by  
default configured to go to magnoliaPublic but that's obviously  
editable, and I assume you've done so ;)

Cheers,

g

> -----Original Message-----
> From: user-list@... [mailto:user-list@...]
> Sent: 03 January 2007 17:38
> To: user-list@...
> Subject: Re: [magnolia-user] correct way to mask "magnoliaPublic"  
> in url
>
> Ben,
>
> That's one correct way to do it, but i would advise to move the webapp
> outside of the webapps directory to avoid that tomcat deploys it  
> twice;
(Continue reading)


Gmane