Paul Smith | 5 Dec 22:32 2007
Picon

How can one launch remind at startup?

Dear All,

How can one launch remind at startup?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Javier Rojas | 5 Dec 22:42 2007
Picon

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:32:30PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> 
> How can one launch remind at startup?

put a line doing that on you .xinitrc. If you want to start it at boot
time you'll have to fiddle with the init scripts of the system, or maybe
if you are using vixie cron you can use the  <at> boot thing it has
(not completely sure it is called that way, check the docs)

--

-- 
Javier Rojas

GPG Key ID: 0xA1C57061
Paul Smith | 5 Dec 23:06 2007
Picon

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?

On Dec 5, 2007 9:42 PM, Javier Rojas <jerojasro@...> wrote:
> > How can one launch remind at startup?
>
> put a line doing that on you .xinitrc. If you want to start it at boot
> time you'll have to fiddle with the init scripts of the system, or maybe
> if you are using vixie cron you can use the  <at> boot thing it has
> (not completely sure it is called that way, check the docs)

Thanks, Javier, but It does not work, at least with XFCE.

Paul

David F. Skoll | 5 Dec 23:21 2007

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks, Javier, but It does not work, at least with XFCE.

Startup scripts under X on Linux are a real pain.  It depends on
what display manager you're using (xdm vs. gdm vs. kdm)

However, I've found that making an .xinitrc and symlinking it to .xsession
takes care of most cases.  I believe XFCE4 (at least, the "old-fashioned"
startup script) will run any scripts it finds in ~/Desktop/Autostart

Regards,

David.

Javier Rojas | 5 Dec 23:28 2007
Picon

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:06:01PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 9:42 PM, Javier Rojas <jerojasro@...> wrote:
> > > How can one launch remind at startup?
> >
> > put a line doing that on you .xinitrc. If you want to start it at boot
> > time you'll have to fiddle with the init scripts of the system, or maybe
> > if you are using vixie cron you can use the  <at> boot thing it has
> > (not completely sure it is called that way, check the docs)
> 
> Thanks, Javier, but It does not work, at least with XFCE.

Try doing the same on the .xsession file (make sure it is executable and
that it has the #!/bin/bash thing). 

--

-- 
Javier Rojas

GPG Key ID: 0xA1C57061
Shelagh Manton | 6 Dec 00:12 2007
Picon

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?


On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:06 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 9:42 PM, Javier Rojas <jerojasro@...> wrote:
> > > How can one launch remind at startup?
> >
> > put a line doing that on you .xinitrc. If you want to start it at boot
> > time you'll have to fiddle with the init scripts of the system, or maybe
> > if you are using vixie cron you can use the  <at> boot thing it has
> > (not completely sure it is called that way, check the docs)
> 
> Thanks, Javier, but It does not work, at least with XFCE.

(Menus) Settings-> Autostarted Aplications

Tho' I did read somewhaere that you can change some setting so that Xfce
uses .xinitrc and co.
Shelagh
> Paul
> _______________________________________________
> Remind-fans mailing list
> Remind-fans@...
> http://lists.whatexit.org/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans

Paul Smith | 6 Dec 00:18 2007
Picon

Re: How can one launch remind at startup?

On Dec 5, 2007 11:12 PM, Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@...> wrote:
> > > > How can one launch remind at startup?
> > >
> > > put a line doing that on you .xinitrc. If you want to start it at boot
> > > time you'll have to fiddle with the init scripts of the system, or maybe
> > > if you are using vixie cron you can use the  <at> boot thing it has
> > > (not completely sure it is called that way, check the docs)
> >
> > Thanks, Javier, but It does not work, at least with XFCE.
>
> (Menus) Settings-> Autostarted Aplications
>
> Tho' I did read somewhaere that you can change some setting so that Xfce
> uses .xinitrc and co.

Done! Thanks to all!

Paul

Frank Hrebabetzky | 23 Dec 23:21 2007
Picon

Repetition does not work

Hi,

I just installed remind on Suse 10.3 from a repository and tried
tkremind, but the timed reminder with reposition does not work. 'Preview
reminder' shows:

  REM 23 December 2007 *7 AT 16:00 *5 MSG BB CC Extrato

but when I called tkremind after 16:00 a window saying 'No reminders'
popped up and nothing else happened. I expected a reminder every 5 minutes.

Any hint?
--

-- 
Frank Hrebabetzky		+55 / 48 / 3235 1106
Florianopolis, Brazil

David F. Skoll | 24 Dec 00:40 2007

Re: Repetition does not work

Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:

>   REM 23 December 2007 *7 AT 16:00 *5 MSG BB CC Extrato

> but when I called tkremind after 16:00 a window saying 'No reminders'
> popped up and nothing else happened. I expected a reminder every 5 minutes.

Why did you expect that?

> Any hint?

"man remind"

Regards,

David.

Paul Brookbanks | 24 Dec 00:56 2007

Please remove from mail list--thanks



Gmane