Marcus Hedenstedt | 13 Oct 22:09 2005
Picon
Picon
Picon

installing as non-root...

... can it be done?

I access the university's Sun-server to get my Centericq and e-mail and
it would be neat to be able to install Remind "locally" on my user.
Can it be done? What do I do? Please explain as you would a ... eh...
Windows-user. :)

m

Tom Hall | 14 Oct 05:18 2005
Picon

Re: installing as non-root...

I installed remind on a Free BSD server in my home directory without
root permissions. 
I seem to recall that it went really smoothly.
Wyrd was a little trickier, but I eventually got that to work, too.

You just untar http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/remind-03.00.23.tar.gz
and run:
  ./configure --prefix=/home/myhome
  make
  make install
and it ends up in /home/myhome/bin

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:09:09PM +0200, Marcus Hedenstedt wrote:
> ... can it be done?
> 
> I access the university's Sun-server to get my Centericq and e-mail and
> it would be neat to be able to install Remind "locally" on my user.
> Can it be done? What do I do? Please explain as you would a ... eh...
> Windows-user. :)
> 
> m
> _______________________________________________
> Remind-fans mailing list
> Remind-fans@...
> http://whatexit.org/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
> 

Teri Pittman | 14 Oct 06:43 2005
Picon

REM not working

Could someone please let me know what I need to do to get REM to work from the command line? I can run remind if I type in remind ~/.reminders. I know I'm missing something simple here but can't figure out what I still need to do. I can put reminders in using TKRemind or editing the .reminders file. There must be an easier way to do it and I haven't found the answer in any of the docs yet.
 
Neil Watson | 14 Oct 14:59 2005
Picon

Re: REM not working

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:43:00PM -0700, Teri Pittman wrote:
>   Could someone please let me know what I need to do to get REM to work from
>   the command line? I can run remind if I type in remind ~/.reminders. I

I believe you want the accompanying command 'rem'.  Try:
rem
rem -c
rem -c+1
man rem

--

-- 
Neil Watson               | Gentoo Linux
Network Administrator     | Uptime 43 days
http://watson-wilson.ca   | 2.6.11.4 AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2000+ x 2

Teri Pittman | 14 Oct 19:35 2005
Picon

Re: REM not working



I believe you want the accompanying command 'rem'.  Try:
rem
rem -c
rem -c+1
man rem


rem works. rem -c & man rem work. If I do rem -c  +1, I get the help pages for remind.  At one point, after I installed it, I could type "remind" and it worked. Now, it wants me to put in an option and point it to my reminders file. I suspect that I need to put something into my startup files but am not sure what I need to do with it.


--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
Justin B. Alcorn | 14 Oct 19:58 2005
Picon

Re: REM not working

`rem -c+1`, not `rem -c +1`

The +1 is part of the 'c' parameter, not a parameter on it's own.

were you originally actually typing 'REM' ? Unix is case-sensitive.

In a process of deep contemplation, Teri Pittman carefully constucted 
the following missive on 10/14/2005 1:35 PM:
> 
> 
>     I believe you want the accompanying command 'rem'.  Try:
>     rem
>     rem -c
>     rem -c+1
>     man rem
> 
> 
> 
> rem works. rem -c & man rem work. If I do rem -c  +1, I get the help 
> pages for remind.  At one point, after I installed it, I could type 
> "remind" and it worked. Now, it wants me to put in an option and point 
> it to my reminders file. I suspect that I need to put something into my 
> startup files but am not sure what I need to do with it.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Teri Pittman
> teri.pittman@... <mailto:teri.pittman@...>
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Remind-fans mailing list
> Remind-fans@...
> http://whatexit.org/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans

Teri Pittman | 14 Oct 20:28 2005
Picon

Re: REM not working



On 10/14/05, Justin B. Alcorn <justin-RdNEuem4j+LR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
`rem -c+1`, not `rem -c +1`

The +1 is part of the 'c' parameter, not a parameter on it's own.

were you originally actually typing 'REM' ? Unix is case-sensitive.

Ah, so it was the space. That works! So I can finally try out some of the other commands. I was originally using REM since all the documentation showed it spelled that way and I know that Unix is case-sensitive. I think what was most confusing was that I didn't know that rem is a different program/command. I wasn't aware that it had separate man pages.

Thanks for the help! I can go play with remind now ;)



--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
jeff fisher | 28 Oct 10:01 2005
Picon

Overdue Items

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it in the 
documentation or the archives.

Let's say that everytime I complete an item or an event passes, I delete it 
from my reminders list. Now some items like "pay rent" are set to trigger on 
the 10th of the month with a delta of, let's say 15 days. However, if 
something should happen and I completely forget about the rent (let's say my 
computer won't start up for a week, so I'm not getting my daily reminders 
nor is remind being run at all), I would also like to be reminded on the 
11th and 12th and so on, until I delete the item.

Is there any way to get remind to include past due reminders?

Thanks


Gmane