William DUCK | 7 Oct 22:46 2006
Picon

Open Firmware / Forth

Hello,

I would want to rewrite an Open Firmware with Ficl or Factor. Will this be 
possible ?

SLOF :

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-expert5/

Ficl :

http://ficl.sourceforge.net/

Factor :

http://factorcode.org/

Here is quote from a previous mail to one of the SLOF's developer :

> I know that Slimline OpenFirmware is written in Forth. Could Factor (
> http://factorcode.org/ ) be  a good alternative , or haskell ?

Open Firmware requires Forth, and Forth is a great fit to the
specific requirements of a boot firmware anyway.  Any language
that needs garbage collection of any sort is right out, completely
unsuitable.

Thank you for your answer,

Best Regards,
(Continue reading)

Stefan Reinauer | 7 Oct 22:54 2006
Picon

Re: Open Firmware / Forth

Dear Mr. Duck ;-)

> I would want to rewrite an Open Firmware with Ficl or Factor. Will this be 
> possible ?

Depends on what your requirements are. Possible is always everything as
long as you are willing to change enough code ;)

Since there is soon half a dozen open source openfirmware, the question
is: Do you _really_ want to reinvent the wheel another time.

I saw your requests to the LinuxBIOS mailinglist and other lists before,
asking interesting questions and never coming up with anything after
that, so I keep this really short. If you are serious with your attempt
come back with more detailed questions rather than a list of links.

> Open Firmware requires Forth, and Forth is a great fit to the
> specific requirements of a boot firmware anyway.  Any language
> that needs garbage collection of any sort is right out, completely
> unsuitable.

In practice, this is pretty much true.

> Thank you for your answer,

well, .. Dont know what to say...

Stefan

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

William DUCK | 8 Oct 13:52 2006
Picon

Re: Open Firmware / Forth

>I saw your requests to the LinuxBIOS mailinglist and other lists before,
>asking interesting questions and never coming up with anything after
>that, so I keep this really short. If you are serious with your attempt
>come back with more detailed questions rather than a list of links.

>Stefan

Hi Stefan :),

I am currently a student in computer science.

Here is my ultimate goal :

http://lists.duskglow.com/open-graphics/2006-October/007834.html

Full-fledged Open Source PC based on cutting-edge stuff :

Power PC, K42 or a libOS ... on a *high-end* motherboard.

To learn only one language (powerful enough to enjoy all this computing 
power :).)  will be easier ( get rid of java and C ... ). => we need mature 
solutions from dependent type theory and CSP for massive parallelism and 
verification...

I can spend my life to support legacy stuff but this is useless, I am waiting 
the right time to start up. Geneseo Initiative, Open Game Platform, SLOF, 
K42, Y0 seem to be good start points and its only the beginning  ...

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~greg/

(Continue reading)

svn | 10 Oct 19:43 2006

r87 - openbios-devel/drivers

Author: stepan
Date: 2006-10-10 19:43:11 +0200 (Tue, 10 Oct 2006)
New Revision: 87

Modified:
   openbios-devel/drivers/esp.c
Log:
From Paul Brook <paul@...>

The current esp code will perform partial reads on devices with sector sizes 
> 512. The attached patch makes it read the whole sector from the device, and
uses the additional if multiple blocks are requested.

I'm not sure if the old behavior is technically wrong, but it confused me when
debugging the qemu device emulation :-)

Paul

Modified: openbios-devel/drivers/esp.c
===================================================================
--- openbios-devel/drivers/esp.c	2006-09-20 20:12:04 UTC (rev 86)
+++ openbios-devel/drivers/esp.c	2006-10-10 17:43:11 UTC (rev 87)
 <at>  <at>  -149,13 +149,12  <at>  <at> 
         return 0; // OK
 }

-// offset is multiple of 512, len in bytes
+// offset is in sectors
 static int
-ob_sd_read_sectors(esp_private_t *esp, sd_private_t *sd, int offset, void *dest,
(Continue reading)

Stefan Reinauer | 10 Oct 19:44 2006
Picon

Re: esp large sector handling

* Paul Brook <paul <at> codesourcery.com> [060829 06:41]:
> The current esp code will perform partial reads on devices with sector sizes > 
> 512. The attached patch makes it read the whole sector from the device, and 
> uses the additional if multiple blocks are requested.
> 
> I'm not sure if the old behavior is technically wrong, but it confused me when 
> debugging the qemu device emulation :-)

this got stuck between a lot of spam mails as you were not subscribed to
the list.

applied. thanks

-- 
coresystems GmbH • Brahmsstr. 16 • D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: info <at> coresystems.de  • http://www.coresystems.de/

--

-- 
OpenBIOS                 http://openbios.org/
Mailinglist:  http://lists.openbios.org/mailman/listinfo
Free your System - May the Forth be with you
Blue Swirl | 10 Oct 22:25 2006
Picon

Re: SUN OBP source code released

>   SUN has released (under BSD license I believe), the source
>code for their OpenBoot (OPB). This includes the forth programs
>for many of their sun machines.

The mode of operation in this version is that OBP talks to a hypervisor, it 
does not access hardware directly. So for example the low level code could 
be used in making OpenBIOS run on top of the hypervisor, but would this be 
useful? Higher level code could be used elsewhere, but I'm no Forth expert.

The hypervisor sources are very Niagara-specific.

Actually I don't know what to do with this otherwise very nice package.

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Jose Renau | 10 Oct 22:35 2006

Re: SUN OBP source code released


  That sucks, I guess that Sun only released the OpenSPARC version. In 
that
version, the hardware implements the hypervisor (sun4v).

On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:

>>   SUN has released (under BSD license I believe), the source
>> code for their OpenBoot (OPB). This includes the forth programs
>> for many of their sun machines.
>
> The mode of operation in this version is that OBP talks to a 
> hypervisor, it does not access hardware directly. So for example the 
> low level code could be used in making OpenBIOS run on top of the 
> hypervisor, but would this be useful? Higher level code could be used 
> elsewhere, but I'm no Forth expert.
>
> The hypervisor sources are very Niagara-specific.
>
> Actually I don't know what to do with this otherwise very nice package.
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's 
> FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
--
Practice everything with moderation, even moderation
  - Unknown

(Continue reading)

Armistead, Jason (Minto | 10 Oct 22:43 2006

Re: SUN OBP source code released

Maybe we should just ask them to release the OBP code from a really old
Sparcstation or early Ultra 1 model ?  While Sun are feeling generous, who
knows ?

-----Original Message-----
From: openbios-bounces@...
[mailto:openbios-bounces@...]On Behalf Of Jose Renau
Sent: Wednesday, 11 October 2006 6:35 AM
To: Blue Swirl
Cc: openbios@...
Subject: Re: [OpenBIOS] SUN OBP source code released

  That sucks, I guess that Sun only released the OpenSPARC version. In 
that
version, the hardware implements the hypervisor (sun4v).

On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:

>>   SUN has released (under BSD license I believe), the source
>> code for their OpenBoot (OPB). This includes the forth programs
>> for many of their sun machines.
>
> The mode of operation in this version is that OBP talks to a 
> hypervisor, it does not access hardware directly. So for example the 
> low level code could be used in making OpenBIOS run on top of the 
> hypervisor, but would this be useful? Higher level code could be used 
> elsewhere, but I'm no Forth expert.
>
> The hypervisor sources are very Niagara-specific.
>
(Continue reading)

Ronald G Minnich | 10 Oct 22:36 2006

Re: SUN OBP source code released

Jose Renau wrote:
>   That sucks, I guess that Sun only released the OpenSPARC version. In 
> that
> version, the hardware implements the hypervisor (sun4v).

mitch bradley has already ported it to OLPC.

I think it's useful stuff. Mitch, did I miss anything?

ron

Garrett D'Amore | 11 Oct 07:58 2006

hello, first patch...

Hi,

This is my first post to this list.

I'm considering a port of OpenBIOS to a MIPS platform.  (Why? 
Initially, to help with a hypothetical port of OpenSolaris to MIPS, but
I think it has other applications as well.  YAMON, the normal MIPS
bootloader on many platforms, is really, really crummy in many
significant respects.  And Redboot has its own issues as well.)  I can
see this being useful for NetBSD as well.

First target platforms would be Alchemy DBAu15xx and Cobalt RaQs,
primarily because that's what I have hardware and sources for.  (Maybe
also Atheros WiSoCs, although the information I have is less complete
for those platforms.)

Anyway, I'm very interested in this, so the first thing I did was pull
down the latest OpenBIOS to check it out.

No MIPS support.  Okay, no problem.  That's what I want to work on
anyway.  (I seem to recall seeing a post from someone else who'd done a
MIPS port.  Not sure why it isn't in SVN.)

Anyway, the next thing I discovered, is that trying to build a normal
amd64 build on my Ultra 20 running Solaris 10 didn't work.  Apparently
the code is only tested on Linux.

So I have some diffs to make it somewhat better.  Already I have diffs
for fcode-utils, and am working on openbios-devel.    What is needed to
get my diffs integrated?  What is the best way to get contributions into
(Continue reading)


Gmane