James McCartney | 1 Jun 02:33 2004
Picon

Re: Re: [sc-users] Post and flush


Flushing from the language is generally not a good thing to do because 
it calls the UI, and the language runs in real time.
All text is queued asynchronously. If the language were forced to wait 
for a flush during sequencing, it would ruin timing.
Flushing happens periodically from a timer thread.

On May 31, 2004, at 3:02 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> Let me bump this one, and switch it over to dev... there's 
> Meta_Post-flush, but it just calls "this.flushPostBuf."
>
> Post is only a subclass of Object. Is this right?
> hjh
>
> On Wednesday, May 19, 2004, at 09:49 US/Eastern, nikolai collinsky 
> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get posted feedback during intensive
>> algorithm churning, any recommendations on forcing
>> updates to display? At the moment nothing prints until
>> the calculations are over.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> CALL STACK:
>> 	Object-doesNotUnderstand
>> 		arg this = class Post
>> No implementations of 'flushPostBuf'.
>>
(Continue reading)

ccos | 1 Jun 02:50 2004
Picon

melbourne colliders

we are having a meeting on the last saturday of June.
if you're in melbourne you should stop by.

http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/514

_c
James Harkins | 1 Jun 04:29 2004
Picon

Re: Re: [sc-users] Post and flush

Should Meta_Post-flush be removed then? It has only one possible 
outcome... "'flushPostBuf' not understood."
hjh

On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 20:33 US/Eastern, James McCartney wrote:

>
> Flushing from the language is generally not a good thing to do because 
> it calls the UI, and the language runs in real time.
> All text is queued asynchronously. If the language were forced to wait 
> for a flush during sequencing, it would ruin timing.
> Flushing happens periodically from a timer thread.
>
> On May 31, 2004, at 3:02 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>
>> Let me bump this one, and switch it over to dev... there's 
>> Meta_Post-flush, but it just calls "this.flushPostBuf."
>>
>> Post is only a subclass of Object. Is this right?
>> hjh
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 19, 2004, at 09:49 US/Eastern, nikolai collinsky 
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get posted feedback during intensive
>>> algorithm churning, any recommendations on forcing
>>> updates to display? At the moment nothing prints until
>>> the calculations are over.
>>>
>>> Cheers
(Continue reading)

Sciss | 1 Jun 06:31 2004
Picon

Severe NRT DiskIn Trouble

hi all,

i spent the night debugging my NRT control files only to find out that 
there must be a severe bug in scsynth, namely the DiskIn operation. i 
broke it down the kind of the simplest test configuration:

SynthDef( "even-more-simpler", {
	Out.ar( bus: 0, channelsArray: DiskIn.ar( numChannels: 1, bufnum: 666 ));
}).writeDefFile;

f = File( "/tmp/ich-debug4.tmp", "w" );
c = [ 0.1, ["/d_load", 
"/Applications/SuperCollider_f/synthdefs/even-more-simpler.scsyndef"]].asRawOSC;
f.write( c.size );
f.write( c );
c = [ 0.2, ["/b_alloc", 666, 4096, 1, 0 ]].asRawOSC;
f.write( c.size );
f.write( c );
c = [ 0.3, ["/b_read", 666, 
"/Volumes/Edgard/audio/IchnoTest/DadaFlavourKrummeDauer2.aif", 0, 4096, 
0, 1 ]].asRawOSC;
f.write( c.size );
f.write( c );
c = [ 0.4, ["/s_new", "even-more-simpler", 1001, 1, 0 ]].asRawOSC;
f.write( c.size );
f.write( c );
c = [ 32.4, ["/n_free", 1001 ]].asRawOSC;
f.write( c.size );
f.write( c );
f.close;
(Continue reading)

Joshua Parmenter | 1 Jun 06:46 2004

Re: Severe NRT DiskIn Trouble

DiskIn doesn't work in NRT.  PlayBuf works fine.

Josh

On May 31, 2004, at 9:31 PM, Sciss wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i spent the night debugging my NRT control files only to find out that  
> there must be a severe bug in scsynth, namely the DiskIn operation. i  
> broke it down the kind of the simplest test configuration:
>
>
> SynthDef( "even-more-simpler", {
> 	Out.ar( bus: 0, channelsArray: DiskIn.ar( numChannels: 1, bufnum: 666  
> ));
> }).writeDefFile;
>
>
> f = File( "/tmp/ich-debug4.tmp", "w" );
> c = [ 0.1, ["/d_load",  
> "/Applications/SuperCollider_f/synthdefs/even-more- 
> simpler.scsyndef"]].asRawOSC;
> f.write( c.size );
> f.write( c );
> c = [ 0.2, ["/b_alloc", 666, 4096, 1, 0 ]].asRawOSC;
> f.write( c.size );
> f.write( c );
> c = [ 0.3, ["/b_read", 666,  
> "/Volumes/Edgard/audio/IchnoTest/DadaFlavourKrummeDauer2.aif", 0,  
(Continue reading)

James McCartney | 1 Jun 08:17 2004
Picon

Re: Severe NRT DiskIn Trouble


DiskIn is written for asynchronous real time streaming only. It might 
not be hard to make it work for NRT, but I've not done that.
James McCartney | 1 Jun 08:55 2004
Picon

Re: Re: [sc-users] Post and flush


yes.

On May 31, 2004, at 7:29 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> Should Meta_Post-flush be removed then? It has only one possible 
> outcome... "'flushPostBuf' not understood."
Sciss | 1 Jun 09:40 2004
Picon

Re: Severe NRT DiskIn Trouble

p.s. it seems to be a problem of sc running without a "clock" beat. the 
problem disappears when the cmd file contains osc bundle a couple of 
times per second, i can go down with the diskbuf size again to say 32k 
whereas without intermitting osc messages the stuttering would only 
disappear for diskbufsizes of 4mb or so ;o...)   so well, at least seems 
to work now for me (though there are still some obscure noises sometimes 
in the output, but just rarely and of very low intensity).

ciao, -sciss-
Thomas Charbonnel | 2 Jun 09:34 2004

Re: Getting the sample rate from the language

The redundancy point you made was bugging me too, so here's another
proposal, based on newton armstrong's method :

+ Server {

        getSampleRate { arg condition;
                var c, id, def, resp, rate;
                condition.test = false;
                c = Condition.new;
                resp = OSCresponderNode(addr, '/tr', { |t, r, msg|
                        r.remove;
                        rate = msg[3];
                        c.test = true;
                        c.signal;
                }).add;
                def = SynthDef("get-sample-rate", { |t_trig = 0|
                        SendTrig.kr(t_trig, 0, SampleRate.ir(0));
                });
                Routine.run {
                        id = this.nextNodeID;
                        this.sendMsgSync(c, "/d_recv", def.asBytes,
                                                        ["/s_new",
"get-sample-rate",
id, 1, 1]);
                        c.test = false;
                        this.sendMsg("/n_set", id, 't_trig', 1);
                        c.wait;
                        this.sendMsg("/n_free", id);
                        condition.test = true;
                        condition.signal;
(Continue reading)

David Thall | 2 Jun 21:26 2004
Picon

slider & controlspec mapping question

Hello,
	I have a set of sliders with an exponential warp from 0.001 -> 10.  
I'd like to make the sliders go from 0 -> 10, but retain the 
exponential warp from 0.001 -> 10.  Is this possible?
	My current solution is to set a threshold (e.g., 0.001, or some value 
slightly smaller), and then set the output value to 0 if the output of 
the slider crosses this boundary.  The problem with this solution is I 
have to rescale my entire range to take into consideration a threshold 
slightly below my required range.
	Any suggestions / ideas / solutions would be greatly appreciated...

-David

Gmane