Giuseppe Torelli | 2 Sep 22:07 2009
Picon

More than one input file to the chain with libsox

Hi,

talking about libsox and NOT about sox command line, is it possible to
give to the effect chain more than one input file?

Thanks
Giuseppe
--

-- 
colossus73
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -
http://imagination.sf.net
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.sf.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
robs | 2 Sep 22:32 2009
Picon

Re: More than one input file to the chain with libsox

--- On Wed, 2/9/09, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> talking about libsox and NOT about sox command line, is it
> possible to
> give to the effect chain more than one input file?
> 
> Thanks
> Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Not as such, but have a look at this new example in CVS that demonstrates concatenation:
http://sox.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sox/sox/src/example4.c?revision=1.1&view=markup

Maybe you could take this and combine it with one of the other examples (dealing with effects) to achieve
something close to what you want?

HTH,
Rob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Giuseppe Torelli | 2 Sep 22:45 2009
Picon

Re: More than one input file to the chain with libsox

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM, robs<aquegg <at> yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Maybe you could take this and combine it with one of the other examples (dealing with effects) to achieve
something close to what you want?

I will try, thank you for the fast answer! We want to use libsox from
Imagination's GUI so to concatenate, trim and fade the audio files to
be then passed to ffmpeg for the encoding.

Thank you again,
Giuseppe

--

-- 
colossus73
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -
http://imagination.sf.net
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.sf.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Giuseppe Torelli | 6 Sep 21:58 2009
Picon

An alternative to MP3 format?

Hi,

since libsox on Ubuntu it's not compiled to encode MP3, can you please
suggest another compressed format available apart FLAC and OGG? Is
there another save-space format I'm not aware of? The file containing
this format is then given to ffmpeg to encode a MPEG4 file so the
audio will be encoded as AAC or MP3.

Thank you,
Giuseppe

--

-- 
colossus73
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -
http://imagination.sf.net
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.sf.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Sergei Steshenko | 6 Sep 23:07 2009
Picon

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?

Check http://www.wavpack.com/ - you most likely interested in its hybrid
form.

I am not sure whether ffmpeg supports it, quite probably it does.

Regards,
  Sergei.

--- On Sun, 9/6/09, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 <at> gmail.com>
> Subject: [SoX-users] An alternative to MP3 format?
> To: sox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Sunday, September 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
> Hi,
> 
> since libsox on Ubuntu it's not compiled to encode MP3, can
> you please
> suggest another compressed format available apart FLAC and
> OGG? Is
> there another save-space format I'm not aware of? The file
> containing
> this format is then given to ffmpeg to encode a MPEG4 file
> so the
> audio will be encoded as AAC or MP3.
> 
> Thank you,
> Giuseppe
> 
> -- 
(Continue reading)

Giuseppe Torelli | 7 Sep 09:34 2009
Picon

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Sergei Steshenko<sergstesh <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> Check http://www.wavpack.com/ - you most likely interested in its hybrid
> form.

Thank you Sergei for the link; anyway we would prefer to stick to
libsox in the meantime, we have to release the 2.0 and we don't have
much time to learn a new API. I will give a look to wavpack anyway, I
like learning new things.

Giuseppe
--

-- 
colossus73
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -
http://imagination.sf.net
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.sf.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Sergei Steshenko | 7 Sep 22:48 2009
Picon

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?


--- On Mon, 9/7/09, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 <at> gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SoX-users] An alternative to MP3 format?
> To: sox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM,
> Sergei Steshenko<sergstesh <at> yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Check http://www.wavpack.com/ - you most likely interested in
> its hybrid
> > form.
> 
> Thank you Sergei for the link; anyway we would prefer to
> stick to
> libsox in the meantime, we have to release the 2.0 and we
> don't have
> much time to learn a new API. I will give a look to wavpack
> anyway, I
> like learning new things.
> 
> Giuseppe
> -- 
> colossus73
> Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker
> -
> http://imagination.sf.net
> Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.sf.net
> 
(Continue reading)

pj | 8 Sep 02:50 2009
Picon

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?

Greetings.

That wavpak is interesting, even though it doesn't compress much
compared with the lossy MP3.  Will it catch on before 2017 ?
Perhaps someone who knows more about 
  http://www.wavpack.com/
than I do should update
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Alternative_technologies
to include it ?

Rob Savoye of http://www.openmedianow.org was intending to mount
a series of lawsuits to free up codecs; his big issue wasn't so
much MP3 as the video codes.  Not sure how that's progressing...

Peter

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj <at> pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
Sox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
(Continue reading)

Sergei Steshenko | 8 Sep 05:18 2009
Picon

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?


--- On Mon, 9/7/09, pj <at> pjb.com.au <pj <at> pjb.com.au> wrote:

> From: pj <at> pjb.com.au <pj <at> pjb.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [SoX-users] An alternative to MP3 format?
> To: sox-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 5:50 PM
> Greetings.
> 
> That wavpak is interesting, even though it doesn't compress
> much
> compared with the lossy MP3.  Will it catch on before
> 2017 ?
> Perhaps someone who knows more about 
>   http://www.wavpack.com/
> than I do should update
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Alternative_technologies
> to include it ?
> 
> Rob Savoye of http://www.openmedianow.org was intending
> to mount
> a series of lawsuits to free up codecs; his big issue
> wasn't so
> much MP3 as the video codes.  Not sure how that's
> progressing...
> 
> Peter
> 
> http://www.pjb.com.au       pj <at> pjb.com.au 
>     (03) 6278 9410
(Continue reading)

Michael Chapman | 8 Sep 09:02 2009

Re: An alternative to MP3 format?

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 12:50 am, you wrote:
> That wavpak is interesting, even though it doesn't compress much
> compared with the lossy MP3.  

There is 
	-lossless
	-lossy, and
	-hybrid
wavpack.
So it need not be just lossless. (The hybrid is lossy with an optional 
'everything you need to get back to lossless' file ... gives users the 
choice, and more economic on bandwidth to grab the 'add on' (if you liked the 
lossy) rather than then downloading a pure lossless file.)

> Will it catch on before 2017 ?

Seems to have 'caught' (see their mainpage).

It is the (draft) standard for ambisonics, because:
	-it handles multichannel so well
	-it is lossless for metadata (you get the 'non-audio' chunks
		back, as they went in)
	-it is being extended to cover CAF as well as WAV.

Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day 
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on 
what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with 
(Continue reading)


Gmane