Thilo Goetz | 3 Jun 15:19 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
>>> I don't know the details of what you did, but it sounds to me like
>>> you threw many advantages of UIMA (reusability, transparent remotability
>>> etc.) right out of the window.
>> I don't see why that would be the case. We're still creating
>> AnalysisEngineDescriptions, just in Java code, not XML.
> [snip]
>> I haven't played around with "transparent remotability", but I can't
>> see why using Java descriptors instead of XML descriptors would make
>> that any harder. Maybe you can elaborate?
> 
> I would like to hear an answer to this if anyone knows. Is there
> something you can do with an XML descriptor that you can't do with an
> AnalysisEngineDescription object?

You can't do any of the things that our documentation
says you can do with a descriptor.  You can't read it,
for example.

> 
> Steve

Thilo Goetz | 3 Jun 15:22 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Work with ECore classes instead of the JCasGen generated classes

Kai Schlamp wrote:
> Hello.
> 
> I converted my UIMA type system to an Ecore model (with
> UimaTypeSystem2Ecore) and generated the classes by using a EMF Genmodel.
> I wonder if it is somehow possible to add objects of those generated
> classes to the JCas. It doesn't seem to be possible, or?

Correct, this is currently not possible.  And as far as
I know, nobody is working on it either.

> The reason I want to do this, is because I want to persist the JCas (or
> better to say the annotations) to a database with the help of EMF/CDO.
> 
> Regards,
> Kai

Chris Roeder | 3 Jun 17:52 2009

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>   
>> Steven Bethard wrote:
>>     
>>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
>>>       
>>>> I don't know the details of what you did, but it sounds to me like
>>>> you threw many advantages of UIMA (reusability, transparent remotability
>>>> etc.) right out of the window.
>>>>         
>>> I don't see why that would be the case. We're still creating
>>> AnalysisEngineDescriptions, just in Java code, not XML.
>>>       
>> [snip]
>>     
>>> I haven't played around with "transparent remotability", but I can't
>>> see why using Java descriptors instead of XML descriptors would make
>>> that any harder. Maybe you can elaborate?
>>>       
>> I would like to hear an answer to this if anyone knows. Is there
>> something you can do with an XML descriptor that you can't do with an
>> AnalysisEngineDescription object?
>>     
>
> You can't do any of the things that our documentation
> says you can do with a descriptor.  You can't read it,
> for example.
>
>   
(Continue reading)

Kai Schlamp | 4 Jun 00:42 2009
Picon
Picon

MetaMap UIMA Wrapper

Hello.

If someone is interested, I wrote a very basic UIMA wrapper for MetaMap (http://mmtx.nlm.nih.gov/).
MetaMap must be installed locally, but I will support the online batch processing soon.
You can find it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/metamap-uima/

Best regards,
Kai

Thilo Goetz | 4 Jun 11:24 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

Forwarded with permission by Terry...

Terry Heinze wrote:
> We use UIMA fairly extensively as an underlying framework for supporting NLP
> solutions for various Thomson Reuters divisions. Regrettably, I don't follow
> the discussion threads as religiously as I should. Can you point me to the
> discussion/proposal on using Java descriptors vs. xml descriptors. Our
> current deployment strategy depends on the ability to read in and
> dynamically alter the descriptors prior to creating the corresponding UIMA
> components.
[...]

There was no proposal, really.  The ClearTK folks said (if I understood
them correctly) that they don't keep any descriptors on disk, but generated
them dynamically at runtime.  To which I replied that this essentially
makes the components unusable to anybody else, since they're missing the
descriptors.  I'm still not sure though that there wasn't a misunderstanding
on my part somewhere...

You can find the whole thread here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-user-d1GL8uUpDdXTxqt0kkDzDmD2FQJk+8+b <at> public.gmane.org/msg02095.html

> I also just noticed that you have an Open Calais annotator. We might have
> some interest in working on this since Clear Forest is owned by Thomson
> Reuters and we (corporate Research & Development) are in regular contact
> with them.

That would be pretty cool.  I don't know what the status of
the Open Calais annotator is, since it was written when
Open Calais was fairly new.
(Continue reading)

Radwen ANIBA | 4 Jun 14:21 2009
Picon

UIMA CPE GUI

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are people who already played with CPE GUI for
modification or to add additional graphical elements inside. Until now i'm
using the default CPE GUI but I need to develop a better GUI since I have a
lot of options to add and the current one doesn't really help me

Any idea ?

Regards

Radwen
Steven Bethard | 4 Jun 16:41 2009
Picon

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>> Steven Bethard wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
>>>> I don't know the details of what you did, but it sounds to me like
>>>> you threw many advantages of UIMA (reusability, transparent remotability
>>>> etc.) right out of the window.
>>> I don't see why that would be the case. We're still creating
>>> AnalysisEngineDescriptions, just in Java code, not XML.
>> [snip]
>>> I haven't played around with "transparent remotability", but I can't
>>> see why using Java descriptors instead of XML descriptors would make
>>> that any harder. Maybe you can elaborate?
>>
>> I would like to hear an answer to this if anyone knows. Is there
>> something you can do with an XML descriptor that you can't do with an
>> AnalysisEngineDescription object?
>
> You can't do any of the things that our documentation
> says you can do with a descriptor.  You can't read it,
> for example.

Sorry, what does "read it" mean?

Steve
--

-- 
Where did you get the preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?
        --- The Hiphopopotamus

(Continue reading)

Steven Bethard | 4 Jun 16:44 2009
Picon

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
> Forwarded with permission by Terry...
>
> Terry Heinze wrote:
>> We use UIMA fairly extensively as an underlying framework for supporting NLP
>> solutions for various Thomson Reuters divisions. Regrettably, I don't follow
>> the discussion threads as religiously as I should. Can you point me to the
>> discussion/proposal on using Java descriptors vs. xml descriptors. Our
>> current deployment strategy depends on the ability to read in and
>> dynamically alter the descriptors prior to creating the corresponding UIMA
>> components.
> [...]

It's certainly possible to dynamically alter AnalysisEngineDescription
objects - if it weren't, we couldn't create them in the first place.
;-)  Of course, the way you modify an AnalysisEngineDescription Java
object, and the way you modify an XML descriptor object are different.

> There was no proposal, really.  The ClearTK folks said (if I understood
> them correctly) that they don't keep any descriptors on disk, but generated
> them dynamically at runtime.  To which I replied that this essentially
> makes the components unusable to anybody else, since they're missing the
> descriptors.  I'm still not sure though that there wasn't a misunderstanding
> on my part somewhere...

At the moment, we include XML descriptors for our components as well
as the AnalysisEngineDescriptor factory functions. But I'm still
unconvinced that not having those XML descriptors makes our components
"unusable". The UIMA framework APIs work on AnalysisEngineDescription
objects, so components that provide such objects are still fully
(Continue reading)

Chris Roeder | 4 Jun 16:56 2009

Re: Parameters in uima descriptors

Steven Bethard wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@...> wrote:
>   
>> Forwarded with permission by Terry...
>>
>> Terry Heinze wrote:
>>     
>>> We use UIMA fairly extensively as an underlying framework for supporting NLP
>>> solutions for various Thomson Reuters divisions. Regrettably, I don't follow
>>> the discussion threads as religiously as I should. Can you point me to the
>>> discussion/proposal on using Java descriptors vs. xml descriptors. Our
>>> current deployment strategy depends on the ability to read in and
>>> dynamically alter the descriptors prior to creating the corresponding UIMA
>>> components.
>>>       
>> [...]
>>     
>
> It's certainly possible to dynamically alter AnalysisEngineDescription
> objects - if it weren't, we couldn't create them in the first place.
> ;-)  Of course, the way you modify an AnalysisEngineDescription Java
> object, and the way you modify an XML descriptor object are different.
>
>   
>> There was no proposal, really.  The ClearTK folks said (if I understood
>> them correctly) that they don't keep any descriptors on disk, but generated
>> them dynamically at runtime.  To which I replied that this essentially
>> makes the components unusable to anybody else, since they're missing the
>> descriptors.  I'm still not sure though that there wasn't a misunderstanding
>> on my part somewhere...
(Continue reading)

Radwen ANIBA | 4 Jun 17:16 2009
Picon

Run UIMA application

Hi

Can we run a UIMA application without SimpleRunCPE ?

I would like to run my own GUI to run CPE but I dont know how to link it to
CPE

Any Idea ?

Thanks

Radwen Aniba

Gmane