carnold | 17 Apr 19:00 2007
Picon

svn commit: r529672 [2/2] - in /logging/chainsaw/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/color/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/filter/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/help/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chain...

Modified: logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/DefaultLayoutFactory.java
URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/DefaultLayoutFactory.java?view=diff&rev=529672&r1=529671&r2=529672
==============================================================================
---
logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/DefaultLayoutFactory.java (original)
+++
logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/DefaultLayoutFactory.java
Tue Apr 17 09:59:53 2007
 <at>  <at>  -1,9 +1,10  <at>  <at> 
 /*
- * Copyright 1999,2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
- * 
- * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
- * you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
- * You may obtain a copy of the License at
+ * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
+ * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
+ * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
+ * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
+ * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
+ * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
  * 
  *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  * 

Modified: logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/EventDetailLayout.java
URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/EventDetailLayout.java?view=diff&rev=529672&r1=529671&r2=529672
==============================================================================
--- logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/EventDetailLayout.java (original)
+++ logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/layout/EventDetailLayout.java
(Continue reading)

carnold | 17 Apr 19:00 2007
Picon

svn commit: r529672 [1/2] - in /logging/chainsaw/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/color/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/filter/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/help/ src/java/org/apache/log4j/chain...

Author: carnold
Date: Tue Apr 17 09:59:53 2007
New Revision: 529672

URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=529672
Log:
Bug 40755: Update chainsaw source file headers

Modified:
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/NOTICE.txt
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/AbstractPreferencePanel.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ApplicationPreferenceModel.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ApplicationPreferenceModelPanel.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawAbout.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawAppender.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawAppenderHandler.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawColumns.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawConstants.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawEventBatch.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawSplash.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawStatusBar.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawTabbedPane.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawToolBarAndMenus.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ChainsawViewer.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/ColumnComparator.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/CyclicBufferList.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/DockablePanel.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/EventBatchListener.java
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/EventContainer.java
(Continue reading)

carnold | 17 Apr 19:04 2007
Picon

svn commit: r529674 - in /logging/chainsaw/trunk: LICENSE LICENSE.txt NOTICE NOTICE.txt

Author: carnold
Date: Tue Apr 17 10:04:20 2007
New Revision: 529674

URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=529674
Log:
Bug 40755: Change NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt to NOTICE and LICENSE

Added:
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/LICENSE
      - copied unchanged from r527248, logging/chainsaw/trunk/LICENSE.txt
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/NOTICE
      - copied unchanged from r529672, logging/chainsaw/trunk/NOTICE.txt
Removed:
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/LICENSE.txt
    logging/chainsaw/trunk/NOTICE.txt

Rony G. Flatscher (Apache | 25 Apr 22:10 2007
Picon

'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...

Hi there,

starting out with 'log4j', I have been creating a logging framework for the scripting language "Open Object Rexx (ooRexx)" [cf. <http://www.ooRexx.org>], dubbed "log4r".

It tries to stick to the 'log4j' architecture as closely as possible, OTOH it tries to improve a few little things, like it allows for creating named layouts and named filters, or using strictly "log4r.config." as the lead-in string for all general configuration options in properties files.

The initial implementation of the 'log4r' frameworks implements the following classes:
  • LogManager (can be used to create/retrieve loggers, appenders, layouts, filters by name)
  • LogLog (can be used by the framework classes for log messages)
  • classes for creating loggers:
    • Log
      • SimpleLog
      • NoOpLog
  • classes for creating appenders:
    • Appender
      • ConsoleAppender
      • FileAppender
        • DailyRollingFileAppender
        • RollingFileAppender
      • NullAppender
      • TelnetAppender
  • classes for creating layouts
    • Layout
      • PatternLayout
        • HTMLLayout
        • XMLLayout
      • SimpleLayout
  • classes for creating filters
    • Filter
      • DateRangeFilter
      • DenyAllFilter
      • LevelMatchFilter
      • LevelRangeFilter
      • MonthRangeFilter
      • StringMatchFilter
      • TimeRangeFilter
      • WeekdayRangeFilter
There will be an overview article which will demonstrate how to employ the 'log4r' framework for ooRexx programs, a brief overview of the architecture, of the classes, a documentation on defining configuration entries in properties files.

The planned licenses are CPL 1.0 and Apache 2.0.

As I have created the framework being inspired by and adhering quite closely to 'log4j', and seeing that comparable frameworks for other programming languages exist and seem to be hosted/incorporated at/into commons-logging, I am wondering, whether there would be interest in adding the 'log4r' framework to the 'log4j' family of frameworks?

If I am using the wrong e-mail list, please let me know.

Very interested in your comments/hints.

Regards,

---rony


Curt Arnold | 26 Apr 18:17 2007
Picon

Re: 'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...


On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

Hi there,

starting out with 'log4j', I have been creating a logging framework for the scripting language "Open Object Rexx (ooRexx)" [cf. <http://www.ooRexx.org>], dubbed "log4r".


There is already a log4r which is a log4j-like logging framework for Ruby (http://log4r.sourceforge.net).


It tries to stick to the 'log4j' architecture as closely as possible, OTOH it tries to improve a few little things, like it allows for creating named layouts and named filters, or using strictly "log4r.config." as the lead-in string for all general configuration options in properties files.


There will be an overview article which will demonstrate how to employ the 'log4r' framework for ooRexx programs, a brief overview of the architecture, of the classes, a documentation on defining configuration entries in properties files.

The planned licenses are CPL 1.0 and Apache 2.0.

As I have created the framework being inspired by and adhering quite closely to 'log4j', and seeing that comparable frameworks for other programming languages exist and seem to be hosted/incorporated at/into commons-logging, I am wondering, whether there would be interest in adding the 'log4r' framework to the 'log4j' family of frameworks?


There are two different things that you might be suggesting and they are substantially different.  One is to add your log4r to the list of third-party logging inspired by frameworks that we maintain on the logging.apache.org site.  There should be no difficulty on that other than the inertia of our web-site maintenance (and there is some light at the end of the tunnel on addressing that).

The second is to have log4r to become part of the ASF Logging Services project.  There has been an interest in logging frameworks for scripting languages within the project and I would expect the PMC would be receptive to a project that wanted to come in that had a good likelihood of developing a viable developer and user community.  However, the incubation of log4php was recently terminated due to a failure to grow beyond the original author.

Since the existing work was done outside of a community, it would need to go through the incubation process (http://incubator.apache.org) before entering logging services proper.  I'm thinking that the recently formed Apache Labs (http://labs.apache.org) might be a good place to start particularly if you think that log4r might become a candidate to go through the incubation process.  That would significantly reduce all the legal issues involved with getting CLA's for all the contributors etc on an eventual trip through the incubator.  Since you have an <at> apache.org email address, likely you could start a lab with little or no effort. 

The dual licensing would become an issue when you have contributions from others.  You would retain the copyright of all code that you write and can license it as many ways as you would like, but you would not automatically be granted rights to distribute contributes from others under any other license than the ASL.

If I am using the wrong e-mail list, please let me know.

This is the right list for these types of discussions.

Rony G. Flatscher (Apache | 26 Apr 19:06 2007
Picon

Re: 'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...

Hi Curt,

thank you very much for your feedback, hints and explanations!

... cut ...
>> dubbed "log4r".
> There is already a log4r which is a log4j-like logging framework for
> Ruby (http://log4r.sourceforge.net).
Oh, I was not aware of that!

> There are two different things that you might be suggesting and they
> are substantially different.  One is to add your log4r to the list of
> third-party logging inspired by frameworks that we maintain on the
> logging.apache.org site.  There should be no difficulty on that other
> than the inertia of our web-site maintenance (and there is some light
> at the end of the tunnel on addressing that).
Fine.

> The second is to have log4r to become part of the ASF Logging Services
> project.  There has been an interest in logging frameworks for
> scripting languages within the project and I would expect the PMC
> would be receptive to a project that wanted to come in that had a good
> likelihood of developing a viable developer and user community. 
> However, the incubation of log4php was recently terminated due to a
> failure to grow beyond the original author.
Interesting!

> Since the existing work was done outside of a community, it would need
> to go through the incubation process (http://incubator.apache.org)
> before entering logging services proper.  I'm thinking that the
> recently formed Apache Labs (http://labs.apache.org) might be a good
> place to start particularly if you think that log4r might become a
> candidate to go through the incubation process.  That would
> significantly reduce all the legal issues involved with getting CLA's
> for all the contributors etc on an eventual trip through the
> incubator.  Since you have an  <at> apache.org email address, likely you
> could start a lab with little or no effort.
Will look into this, thanks for the lab idea, which sounds very sound!
;) Ad license: as I am the only one at the moment, there is no problem.
Going through a lab of course would make sure that the project (and
possible enhancements, additions) are bound to the ASF license.

> The dual licensing would become an issue when you have contributions
> from others.  You would retain the copyright of all code that you
> write and can license it as many ways as you would like, but you would
> not automatically be granted rights to distribute contributes from
> others under any other license than the ASL.
Right, mostlikely the CPL is not really needed (there is the yearly
International Rexx symposium taking place next week in Florida, where I
will discuss this particular point; AFIAK the ASF license would be
compatibel to the CPL one that ooRexx is created under, such that I
could probably remove the CPL one.

---

Will be "off"  for a few weeks (travel, looking about the adoption of
the present log4r framework, which gets introduced next week to the Rexx
community, and checking out the interest of the ooRexx community in
further extending the present framework, such that estimating the
building of a community can be at least vaguely estimated).

Again, Curt, thank you very much for your feedback, explanations and ideas!

Regards,

---rony


Gmane