Nick Burch | 2 Jun 16:05 2010
Picon

[DRAFT] The Community Development project needs you to go to the pub!

Since we all seem happy with opening the local mentors program up to all 
committers, I'm planning to send this to committers <at>  shortly. Any feedback 
before I do gratefully received!

Nick
===========================================================
Hi All

Some of you may have heard of the Apache Community Development project[1], 
but for those of you who haven't, our aim here is to help newcomers to The 
Apache Software Foundation take their first steps on their way to being a 
part of our community.

As part of this, we've set up a new program - the Local Mentors 
Program[2], which aims to help people new to open source have a quick chat 
with someone more experienced who happens to live near them.

So, why email everyone? Well, that depends on how long you've been 
involved in the ASF...

If you're a new committer:
If you'd like to learn some more about how the ASF works, discover how 
other projects have solved problems you might be having, get tips on 
contributing, or even just see your first friendly face from the ASF, then 
please use the local mentors program to find someone near you! Once you've 
identified someone near you, drop them a quick email, and hopefully meet 
them for a pint / coffee / etc and a chat. You might want to wait a few 
days for more people to sign up though!

If you're an existing committer:
(Continue reading)

Gert Vanthienen | 2 Jun 21:24 2010
Picon

Re: [DRAFT] The Community Development project needs you to go to the pub!

L.S.,

Great initiative on opening this up to all committers!  The draft mail
looks good to me -- it does a good job explaining what the this
particular program is all about and the instructions for signing up as
a committer are clear (to me).

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

On 2 June 2010 16:05, Nick Burch <nick@...> wrote:
> Since we all seem happy with opening the local mentors program up to all
> committers, I'm planning to send this to committers <at>  shortly. Any feedback
> before I do gratefully received!
>
> Nick
> ===========================================================
> Hi All
>
> Some of you may have heard of the Apache Community Development project[1],
> but for those of you who haven't, our aim here is to help newcomers to The
> Apache Software Foundation take their first steps on their way to being a
> part of our community.
>
> As part of this, we've set up a new program - the Local Mentors Program[2],
> which aims to help people new to open source have a quick chat with someone
> more experienced who happens to live near them.
>
> So, why email everyone? Well, that depends on how long you've been involved
(Continue reading)

Bertrand Delacretaz | 3 Jun 08:47 2010
Picon

Re: What are the basic, invariant rules of Apache projects?

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@...> wrote:
> ...Thanks very much for all your comments and additions - here's my final
> draft for review....

Now online at https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/entry/what_makes_apache_projects_different
with minor tweaks.

-Bertrand

Nick Burch | 3 Jun 16:50 2010
Picon

Re: The Community Development project needs you to go to the pub!

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/foaf/foafamatic.html
> has a link labeled "FAQ" which points to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/krell/
> which apparently is only accessible by ASF Members.  Either that, or
> I've got other problems :)

It sould be accessible to all committers, as far as I can tell from the 
svn auth file. Are you sure you're logging in with your ASF svn 
credentials?

(I've checked, and assuming I'm right in thinking that your ASF username 
is mkienenb, then ldap says you are in the committers group)

However, if all you want to do is create a FOAF file, use the form at the 
bottom of http://people.apache.org/foaf/foafamatic.html and that should be 
all you need

Nick

Ross Gardler | 12 Jun 00:44 2010
Picon

local speakers app

The local speakers app is currently returning "The nearby people 
application will be back online shortly, sorry for the inconvenience" 
when searching for speakers.

Anyone know why?

Ross

Nick Burch | 12 Jun 10:55 2010
Picon

Re: local speakers app

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Ross Gardler wrote:
> The local speakers app is currently returning "The nearby people 
> application will be back online shortly, sorry for the inconvenience" 
> when searching for speakers.

Hmm, I'm supposed to get an email when that happens. (Well, everyone 
listed in the admins section, which is currently just me). I've tweaked 
the error from address, and I've now got the error email, so I think 
something somewhere has got more picky since I originally installed the 
app...

Right, now for the error - there's something up with the XML. Sander is 
listed as a foar, not a foaf! I've corrected the typo, and it's back to 
showing people again

Nick

Nick Burch | 12 Jun 16:51 2010
Picon

Re: The Community Development project needs you to go to the pub!

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Nick Kew wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2010, at 11:57, Nick Burch wrote:
>> As part of this, we've set up a new program - the Local Mentors 
>> Program[2], which aims to help people new to open source have a quick 
>> chat with someone more experienced who happens to live near them.
>
> It has a strange idea of "local".  I try where I lived for most of the 
> 90s, and everyone it finds is over 500km away as the crow flies! 
> Better to admit there is noone local.

I've made some tweaks to the algorithm, so for example when you search in 
Sydney, it gives you Brett but doesn't bother with anyone in mainland 
asia. For those places where we really don't have anyone, it shows you the 
nearest people and suggests you visit them when on holiday / conference / 
etc.

> Also it's rather unhelpful just asking for a place name with no hints 
> about what kind of place name it might know about.

The help should be a little better now. Geonames is pretty good, but 
there's always the odd place it doesn't know about...

Nick

Gav... | 13 Jun 05:39 2010
Picon

Re: So why exactly is Community Development the default Jira project?

Hi,

Cathy was right, something else was amiss, the project description had
spaces
in it before the description so it made it to the top of the alphabetical
list.

Fixed.

Gav...

Ross Gardler | 13 Jun 21:57 2010
Picon

Re: So why exactly is Community Development the default Jira project?

On 13/06/2010 04:39, Gav... wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cathy was right, something else was amiss, the project description had
> spaces
> in it before the description so it made it to the top of the alphabetical
> list.
>
> Fixed.

Thanks Gav.

Ross

Bertrand Delacretaz | 13 Jun 22:00 2010
Picon

Re: So why exactly is Community Development the default Jira project?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Gav... <gavin@...> wrote:
> ...the project description had
> spaces
> in it before the description so it made it to the top of the alphabetical
> list.
>
> Fixed.

Thanks!
Looks like Abdera is going to get those stray issues now ;-)
-Bertrand


Gmane