CulTEL 2013 - International workshop on Culturally-aware Technology Enhanced Learning
2013-05-22 21:00:56 GMT
From: CulTEL 2013 <cultel2013 <at> easychair.org>
Date: Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Subject: CulTEL 2013
To: Isabela Gasparini
Below you will find the Call for Papers for the CulTEL 2013 workshop. Could you please advertise this call to as many people as possible?
The CulTEL 2013 chairs
CALL FOR PAPERS: "International workshop on Culturally-aware Technology Enhanced
Learning" CulTEL 2013 at ECTEL 2013, 17-21 September, Paphos, Cyprus.
For details, see: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/CulTEL/.
The workshop aims to provide a forum that explores culturally inclusive and boundary breaking TEL models, and their implications on traditional infrastructures (i.e. the underpinning technical and pedagogical frameworks). The workshop will enable this emerging research community to:
- share techniques and experiences;
- identify potential domains and application areas;
- design and reflect on evaluation studies; and
- identify future research directions.
By bringing together academics, educational practitioners and TEL industries, the workshop will address several challenges along three main themes:
1. Technological underpinning:
Which components in a TEL environment need to be modifiable for cultural factors and how? What are the innovative technology enablers for adding culture in TEL settings (e.g. semantic models, data mining, intelligent exploration, and virtual agents and interaction with them)? What are the affordances and limitations of these technologies? How can TEL adapt to the cultural experiences and diversity of the learners?
2. Adding value to learning:
What is the added value of including cultural aspects in TEL for learners and tutors? How to develop awareness in cultural diversity at different stages of a learner’s progression? How to measure pedagogical effectiveness and skills valorisation? How to make the experience in a virtual learning environment relate to real-life experiences?
3. Domains and applications:
What are the learning settings (e.g. formal, non-formal and informal) and learning approaches (self-regulated, experiential learning) which require more culturally-aware TEL? What potential domains require the development of cross-cultural competencies (e.g. business communications, mentoring, advising, professional consultation, and collaboration)? What user-generated content can be exploited to capture cultural diversity (e.g. stories, blogs, comments, micro posts, and videos)? What are the lessons learnt from experimental studies?
The workshop welcomes demonstrations (2-4 pages), position papers (4-6 pages) and research papers (8-10 pages). All submissions will be peer-reviewed. All papers should be submitted via EasyChair in PDF format at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cultel2013. Submissions should use the Springer LNCS template (http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0).
- Submissions due: 15 July 2013
- Notification of Acceptance: 14 August 2013
- Camera-ready version of accepted papers: 28 August 2013
- Workshop date: 17 September, 2013
- Emmanuel G. Blanchard, Aalborg University at Copenhagen, Denmark
- Nick Degens, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Vania Dimitrova, University of Leeds, UK
- Sonia Hetzner, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- Lydia Lau, University of Leeds, UK
- Sandy Louchart, Heriot-Watt University, UK
- Samuel Mascarenhas, INESC-ID, Portugal
- Asad Nazir, Heriot-Watt University, UK
The proceedings of the workshop will be available as open access via CEUR. Depending on the quality of the contributions, a special issue in a relevant journal will be explored (e.g. IJAIED or IEEE TLT).
- User Modeling mailing list - Please, use the following address to post messages to the mailing list: um@... The Web page of the mailing list: https://www.di.unito.it/listserver/info/um (secure web site) enables you to view the mailing list archive, remove yourself from the mailing list, etc.